X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best yard location for 1-gallon plants

I'm debating where to put my 1-gallon plants--the options are on the south side along the front of the house, in the backyard with the rest of the garden (good sun, but also lots of leaf-loving insects), or the sunroom which is indoors but 80% windows. Thoughts? I also have a crazy Boston Terrier who loves to tear around the backyard like a madman.
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Besides needing a lot of sun, access to water would be very important in smaller pots like that. It doesn't seem to take long for a fig tree to out-grow a 1 gallon pot, so if they are going to be staying in that size pot for a while, you may end up needing to water twice a day in real hot weather. In New England, I haven't seen any insects that like to eat the leaves. I have at least 4 types of grasshoppers, and all kinds of beetles, and none of them seem to bother the fig trees. They just go after all the vegetable plants that we try to grow. The rabbit hoards don't bother them either.
    Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know! Thank you! the bugs tend to eat the kale and squash leaves; I wasn't sure if they'd go after figs or not. The backyard gets the most attention so I'm kind of leaning towards that spot.

Be mindful of transpiration rates. Indoors with minimal air movement, possibly higher humidity and tender loving care, the soft fresh leaves are in balance with the surroundings. When you put them out side the greatly increased wind exposure can evaporate water out of the leaves faster than the roots can carry it.

If you can put them outside in a wind free shady spot for a few days that will help the transition. High transpiration rate will lead to rapid drooping and ultimately desiccation.

Ian
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent advice, thank you. What I've been doing is increasing the number of windows I have open in the sunroom. Right now it's 1 window, this weekend I'll go to 2 windows. They're all currently on the windowsills getting dappled sunlight through a tree's branches.

• The Figster
      The Figster commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like you have it covered. As a kid I would help my Grandfather in the garden; he was a patient man. On one particular visit I want to plant something out side and it really was too early in the season. To cool my jets he explained how plants need to acclimate and then he asked me if I had ever gone outside in the snow in the winter wearing my pajamas! I said no its too cold - he said "Exactly and that's how your plants will feel!"
Working...
X