X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT chicken fever

Another sickness similar to fig fever is chicken fever. There are so many different kinds of chickens you can't imagine, I learn of new ones all the time. Well I have been keeping a few for eggs and I just like having them around. A few weeks ago I bought some more at the local feed store and built a nice brooder and am keeping them in my screened in porch. My niece is into chickens and sent me an extra incubator and then had a friend send me some Svart Hona eggs. Then I had to put in a new coop and run. Now I am thinking where to put the next coop. I think I may be getting chicken fever too
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
    Buffalo WV Z6

I am so jealous! I would love love love to have chickens! Post pictures--I hear that the eggs can really differ in color!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

We've been considering getting a flock of Buff Orpingtons for eggs and meat. Not sure I want to be tied down by livestock, though. Still considering chickens and goats, though.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Jaylyne
        Jaylyne commented
        Editing a comment
        How about chicken and lamb? We have chickens and friend just got lambs... not sure if theyes are easy to take care of

• growcrazie
        growcrazie commented
        Editing a comment
        Buff Orps were the first chicken I had and before they got fully grown I lost them to the great dog attack of '14. I just got 4 more, they are a great bird.

• silveradocanman
        silveradocanman commented
        Editing a comment
        You can really have minimal maintenance with your chicken setup. We are able to leave ours alone for days without worrying.

I lost Favorite Roo a few weeks ago. He was old. R.I.P. Cupcake
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
      Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• Jaylyne
        Jaylyne commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful... Was He A Lavender Wyandotte Bantam? I saw pics of just regular lavender Wyandotte but they don't sell the chick's locally here

• growcrazie
        growcrazie commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! what Kind?

• strudeldog
        strudeldog commented
        Editing a comment
        He was a full size Splash Cochin. Large bird his head was over my knee, and I have your goats as well, I like them a lot better than sheep. I grew up raising sheep

Feed them more and more dark, leafy greens until the yolks turn a deep orange. Then they have a flavor that's incredible.
      Bob C.
      Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

I have about 80 different types of cacti and succulents, so addictions come in all kinds of flavors.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
        Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

• growcrazie
          growcrazie commented
          Editing a comment
          wow, thats a lot. My wife likes succulents but she works a lot and doesn't want to take care of any she can't just plant in the yard. also she doesn't take the time to find out what is out there, watch out when she retires

I will post some pics when I have time to resize
        Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Wrong post for good chicken noodle soup recipes I guessing?
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• growcrazie
            growcrazie commented
            Editing a comment
            I love me some chicken noodle soup

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too especially with few eggs cracked in it few minute before is finished. Turns scrabble egg in soup
            Last edited by Taverna78; 03-30-2016, 05:00 PM.

Ducks can't jump........chickens can, ducks win.
          Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• strudeldog
            strudeldog commented
            Editing a comment
            My chickens can't really jump or fly or swim, so depends on how you look at it who wins

• cjmach1973
            cjmach1973 commented
            Editing a comment
            mmmm...taste like bullfrog

• WillsC
            WillsC commented
            Editing a comment
            Well my ducks can fly and they can swim but no jumping. When I had the chickens they would "prune" any fruit lower than about 40".

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
          Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Live Peeps!

• SarinaP
            SarinaP commented
            Editing a comment
            They're so cute!!!

I hve 22 chickens, to save on feed I just built this fodder system. One lb of barley seed equals 7 lbs of fodder!!
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

• SarinaP
            SarinaP commented
            Editing a comment
            What gorgeous eggs!

• silveradocanman
            silveradocanman commented
            Editing a comment
            growcrazie, check out a bucket fodder system. I use 3 gallon buckets with holes drilled in them, makes a perfect amount of fodder for a smaller flock.

• growcrazie
            growcrazie commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks I will

ItalianStallion,

It looks like you wash the eggs after you gather them? Have always been told it is a bad idea to do that as it removes the protective covering on the egg and makes them dry out, lose quality sooner. Was always told that to wash just before you use them.......not 100% sure if it is accurate though
          Last edited by WillsC; 03-31-2016, 10:24 AM. Reason: typo
          Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• Italianstallon99
            Italianstallon99 commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to wash these cuz they were covered in mud. When it rains the chickens love to play in the dirt they go lay eggs.

• Inkfin
            Inkfin commented
            Editing a comment
            I never wash eggs after I buy them from grocery stores, only crack them open and fry. Washing an egg is new phenomena for me unless I am boiling them.

this is what I have in the incubator
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

• Inkfin
            Inkfin commented
            Editing a comment
            You incubate grown up chicken? ;-)

Originally posted by growcrazie View Post
          this is what I have in the incubator
          What's in them thar cages beyond the birds, wabbits?
          Neil
          Reno, 6b

Comment

oh love them chicken when i was little girl had some bantums with the feathers on their legs they were small and acted like dogs followed me around. HOA would chicken poop their knickers if I tried to do that here. But I did get a [email protected]@@@ Named him Cuervo he was happy in the back yard neither neighbor cared thought he was cool. When hurricane came through he ran away three days later lady [email protected]@@@ was sitting on my roof but no Cuervo she left that afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Posturedoc View Post

What's in them thar cages beyond the birds, wabbits?

I don't know, the pic is from the guy I got the eggs from
              Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

On the OT subject of chickens, chicken question for the chicken experts here: Does this young chicken look roosterish to you? Buffy here is a Buff Brahma, approximately 11 or 12 weeks old at this point. She/he has been making strange sounds unlike the other two, not quite a crow but along those lines. She also has a bunch of iridescent black feathers starting to grow in her tail...

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                Last edited by Sarahkt; 07-23-2016, 11:53 PM.
                Sarah
                Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Originally posted by sarahkt View Post
                  On the OT subject of chickens, chicken question for the chicken experts here: Does this young chicken look roosterish to you? Buffy here is a Buff Brahma, approximately 11 or 12 weeks old at this point. She/he has been making strange sounds unlike the other two, not quite a crow but along those lines. She also has a bunch of iridescent black feathers starting to grow in her tail...

Hi Sarah,

I am not a chicken expert, but yes, I think your brahma looks "roosterish." I am so sorry.

My bantam buff brahma hens have shiny black in their tails, but their feathers are all rounded. Does your brahma have any pointy feathers at the base of its tail? The reddish/ pumpkin orangey hue on the wings in your pic looks like rooster coloring. Do you have a better side pic of the wing? Buff brahma males get more reddish colors as they mature on the upper wings. I have raised a few roosters that started pitiful unpolished crowing around 8-12 weeks or so. It sounds more like they are being strangled when they first start trying to crow.
                  Coastal SoCal/ USDA Zone 10b / Sunset 22 / AHS Heat zone 2

Comment

Sarah, my daughter says it's a rooster. The feet are much bigger than the hen's feet next to it. If you want more confirmation, look at the saddle feathers between the wing and the tail. A roo will have pointed saddle feathers.

Comment

• Sarahkt
                      Sarahkt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, it did start growing rooster saddle feathers. Last Saturday we finally stopped denying the truth and returned the rooster to the feed store.

Sad news, but thanks for the input. Hanbury, here's a closeup:

On a more fig-topic side note, picked the first Italian Honey (left) and KB (right) off young trees today. Forgot to photograph the figs after cutting in half. Neither were too exciting, though. The first Vista picked yesterday was much better. The first Salce and Gino's Black picked last week were pretty good too for having been rooted just last winter.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                    Sarah

Comment

Sometimes the city will look the other way as long as no one complains. We have four roosters. My daughter walks them around on a leash like dogs. They are all very tame--they know who's in charge, and it's not them! I'm sure the figs will get better with age. That Kathleen's Black looks like a good fig!

Comment

The KB takes 4 or 5 years to produce great figs, it is very worth the wait!
                        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Your brahama does have more red than a typical pullet. I'm not 100% sure its a @@@@erel, but if it was my bird, I'd definately be cleaning out the big pet travel carrier to keep it in the garage at night, just in case.

When we have had chickens crowing, keeping the offender in the dark garage until past 8 am prevented any complaints from neighbors. We never had a visit from animal control, even when we had a crowing hen for a few years. We just took the crower out of the coop after dark, and let it back into the coop in the morning, once most folks had gone to work or school. We aren't allowed to keep roosters, so I never kept any males much past 13 or 14 weeks old.
                          Coastal SoCal/ USDA Zone 10b / Sunset 22 / AHS Heat zone 2

Comment

Fortunately the feed store where we got the chicks accepts chickens that grow up to be roosters once they have space for them. So if the chicken becomes a crowing rooster, we will return him and buy an adult chicken instead. Probably a Buff Orpington, they look like round beach balls of fluff. Friendly and good layers. I'll have to read up on integrating a strange chicken into a flock when/if that happens.
                            Sarah

Comment

My Buff Orp was by far the friendliest bird in the flock. I had to put her in the coop when doing yard work though, otherwise it would go...shuffle dirt, move chicken, shovel dirt, move chicken.....
                              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Working...
                              X