X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grafting etc

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Grafting cart with a box of pecan scion.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 10 photos.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Hershell they look sharp enough to split a hair. nice!!!

andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

Here are some of Hershell's photos. I started a thread this am and commented on it but it's disappeared.

Bark graft on citrus stump

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hershell Bark graft on citrus stump sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	8025

Whip graft starting to calus

Name:	Hershell Whip graft starting to calus sm.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	8026

Starting to grow

Name:	Hershell Starting to grow sm.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	8027
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

And since they don't all fit in one post...

Trees just grafted Click image for larger version

Name:	Hershell Trees just grafted sm.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	8029

Newly grafted trees and trees from last year being dug

Name:	Hershell Newly grafted trees and trees from last year being dug sm.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	8030

Trees grafted last year Click image for larger version

Name:	Hershell Trees grafted last year sm.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	8031

Attached Files
          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Those grafting knifes look like they have been worn to the bone. Looks like you got your moneys worth and then some Hershell.

AWESOME!!!!
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              The knives were just made this year. I don't make them pretty, just to use. The blade is 5 percent carbide so they are really hard to sharpen but they stay sharp for a long time.

• COGardener
              COGardener commented
              Editing a comment
              All i can say is wow.

Impressive Hershell,

I have grafted well over a dozen species of plants and really enjoy it, but never in volume. I will say the nut trees I had about the hardest time with. I think the only think I got 0 takes on was Loquat but that was a one time try. Interesting you posted in another thread about always using a knife with bevel on both sides. I just assumed the pro's used a single bevel. I just put in about 10 new pecan trees they came in with questionable roots left. If they don't make it maybe I can speak with you next fall.
            Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              Phil, I don't call myself a pro but I guess by definition I am. I bought one single bevel knife and couldn't use it until I ground the other side. Most grafters that I know use Tina's. I just started making my own about two years ago because they wouldn't hold an edge.

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              Phil, I guess you see that the guy I graft for has adequate equipment to dig the trees with. That makes a big difference with the roots.

Hershell, are you planning on doing some fig grafting soon? I so, we would love some how-to photos, or better still, a video. No pressure.
            Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I am planning to graft some but It will be my first figs. There are others here that have more experience with figs. I will try to get a few shots as I go along.

Those are amazing pictures of thousands of pecan trees. I have had the pleasure of seeing these fields and of Hershell grafting. He is a PRO! No doubt about it. Anyone that is paid to Graft in one of the largest pecan tree nurseries anywhere is a PRO. It is amazing to watch him work. He ain't bad grafting citrus either. Any SUGGESTIONS he offers is gospel. Thank you for posting the pics and for the grafting lessons.

If you are in Hershells neck of the woods you should see the pecan fields. They go on forever it seems!

Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola
            Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              Your welcome Charles. It was a pleasure to have you and Tammy drop buy. And as for the lesson it wasn't much but I hope it will help you out someday.

Wow, that is a lot of grafting, and some really big trees from last years graft! Very nice, thanks for sharing.
            Phil
            Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Hershell now that you are going to graft fig trees have you made up your mind on the type of graft? (please dont say bud, i am very bad at that. lol :-)
              andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

No Anderas, I'm not a budder eather. I'm hoping to start with Black Maderia on Celeste Stock. However Harvey is already ahead of me so he should have good results this year.

Comment

Very nice Hershell! I thought you only built greenhouses, a man of talents. I like how you made the blade short, I would think that really helps with control and makes it a bit less risky. Do you tape your thumb or where some sort of guard, I would think that would be a valuable thing?
                  Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                  Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Hershell, I'd prefer photos with typed instructions to a video. It's easier to see what you're doing and far more efficient both for presenter and audience.

Comment

Bob I'm not that talented. This is really stretching it for me. Remember, you visited once and I was having issues with electronics then.

Comment

You take the photos and I'll post them. You then quote my post and add captions and descriptions to the photos.

Comment

• Hershell
                          Hershell commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You make it sound easy. I'm speechless.

An up to date picture of the grafted stump

Comment

Hershell, do you remove all but one scion after a few months of growth?
                          Steve
                          D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                          WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Rewton. Yes, on the large stumps I use 6" shrink rap. After I see buds starting to grow I unwrap most of it but leave a few layers and cut slits to let the top of the scion stick up. A few weeks later I remove all of it. It's better to remove it too late than too soon.

Comment

• Hershell
                              Hershell commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I miss read that question. No I plan to leave them all. I would rather have a bush than a tree.

Hershell is fast at those grafts.....on one of my visits he was showing my neighbor how to graft and I looked down to pet his dog, took all of 3 seconds looked back and said "umm Hershell could you do that again" I had missed the entire graft, just that fast.
                            Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Hi Hershell,

I know Citrus are especially susceptable to root rot. At some point as the new trunks merge they will form a bowl in the center. With the high humidity in the green house do you have any worries that water may collect in between the growing scions and start rotting or grow fungus.
                              Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

For short term no. Later I can cut one out if need be. Grafting on a large stump is probably not the best to try to get it caulused over but I should get a lot of fruit in the next few years. I'm not really looking at long term like a commercial grower would. It was just an after thought after removing a tree that wasn't productive

Comment

Thanks to a few generous pushers fueling my addiction I made a few more grafts. Bi 39 is among them.

Comment

My first time seeing this thread and am in awe. Very nice work. I cant even imagine the amount of work involved in grafting that many acres of trees.
                                    Jeff in 6a

Comment

This is another picture of the citrus stump that was grafted. It's growing fast now.

Comment

Working...
                                      X