X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs that are NOT cold hardy at all!

I live in the intermediate desert of southern AZ (~5000 ft above sea level), which tends to be a pretty extreme climate with respect to summer highs and winter lows. Every summer we can count on several weeks of 100+ °F heat, which the figs love. However, we can also get a few nights during the winter where we drop into the high teens, which the figs do not like. This past winter we got down to ~20 °F a few nights in a row and none of my trees suffered any dieback (brown turkey, Peter's honey, white kadota, VdB, and texas everbearing). I am adding several new varieties this year, and for many varieties I'm not sure they would do as well in the ground. So here is my question:

What fig varieties do you know of that are NOT cold hardy at all? What are the varieties you have had that seem to suffer extreme dieback in the 20-30 °F range?

I would like to keep track of everyone's input and keep an updated database, in case I'm not the only one with this specific question.

Did your temps get to 20F or -20F?
    Any just to throw a wrench in your great question. What are your wind chill temperatures?

Ian
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

That was a squiggly line to designate "around" 20, not -20! I am in zone 8a, so really the question is are there are any figs you should not grow in the ground in zone 8a?

In general, our low temperatures come after a winter storm has moved through and the sky clears overnight. As a result, we don't end up with much wind in combination with an extreme low temperature. I would guess the wind chills would still be above the single digits in the worst conditions.

Comment

Working...
      X