X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What propagating tricks have you discoverd that got you out of Jail?

Please share your tricks that have worked for you, that might save someones precious purchase or prized cutting.
    Here is something that has worked for me. Super simple and easy.

This is my CdDB in a four inch pot. I much prefer the square pots over the round as they are more stable and hold 30% more compost than a 4 inch round. They also allows me to carefully push/wriggle the compost away from the corners as shown in the picture. I have found this a great way to quickly reduce the affects of over watering. Oxygen can easily get to the roots and the evaporation surface is greatly increased. I could even feel a difference in weight after a few ours. If you do all 4 corners its very effective

Happy Spring

Ian

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	80211
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

I'm not afraid to change my perlite growing media if things look like they're not going well.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

That's a neat trick Ian, I like it! I've never rooted successfully in perilite but I imagine it would be A LOT easier (less anxiety provoking I should say lol) to change than a soil mix.. Thats another good tip Bob.. I will often use those little dollar store baskets (look like mini garbage cans) to root in because they have the pre-made slots on the sides to get more air to the roots. Helps with drying the growing medium out faster as well if you accidentally over water some. Just make sure to drill some drainage holes in the bottom and you're good to go! Another tip for accidentally overwatering is simply to press a dry paper towl at the bottom of the cup/pot/etc to try to help removing excess water and then place the cup on another dry paper towl afterwards for a little while. If I think of anymore tips, I will surely come back to this thread and add them.. Great idea for a posting Ian!
      My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• Harborseal
        Harborseal commented
        Editing a comment
        Would you post a photo of that container? I'd be interested in trying them. If you remember the name of the $ store that would help, too. Thanks.

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure Bob I'd be happy to I'm going to go take the pic now and will post the pic below.. Good question about the name of the dollar store because I've only found them at "The Dollar Tree." There are so many different dollar stores popping up here and there and I've never seen them anywhere else besides the Dollar Tree

Newly rooted cuttings are planted in a pre-watered (moist well aerated) cutting mix, they are never "Watered In".

Before I started this pre-measuring technique I would blow air into the mix with a straw, turkey baster or flavor injector to aerate the mix if it was over-watered or too wet. Its often recommended to "weigh" the container to get the correct weight when properly watered, but I've been able to get back to a properly watered mix by simply finding the actual volume of water that makes the mix moist and well aerated without being wet or water logged.

To "pre-measure" fill your container with dry mix and tap it on a hard surface to settle, pour it into a bowl and slowly add water from a measuring cup to get the mix to the correct moisture level. The measured amount of water or less can be added to the container with the growing fig cutting without any fear of over watering during the initial fig cutting growing period. This pre-measuring method will work for any mix used for growing cuttings. Its quick and simple to use a measuring cup to water and fertigate the young fig cuttings, I use 1 cup or less of water (or nutrient solution) for every 5 cups of my Coir based pre-rooting mix in my 2 liter (soda bottle) growing containers.

BTW, I also use plastic Cling wrap on the top of the containers as a "mulch" for an initial period (couple of weeks) after up potting to prevent drying out of the potting mix since they are not placed in a humidity bin and are also not watered for several weeks after up potting.
      Last edited by AscPete; 04-03-2016, 01:05 PM. Reason: corrected grammar and added BTW
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• The Figster
        The Figster commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that is a get out of jail trick!

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree Ian, this is a really useful tip! Love the fact that I don't really even need to find one of those little scales either and instead can just go by the initial water volume that was used to get that slightly moist but well aerated mix that cuttings seem to thrive in . Totally going to start using this tip immediately Thanks a bunch Pete!

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome.

Here is a pic of the dollar store baskets/airpots I've used with great success.. Every cutting I've had in one of these has not only survived but really taken off. I've never really had a problem with soil falling out of the sides either, but I guess you could always use a coffee filter or drywall tape if you wanted to.. They are really cheap too, Ive found them in packs of 2-3 for .99 cents depending on the size you get.. Just wanted to share the idea and hopefully it helps someone out Just don't forget to drill holes in the bottom, that's about all that needs to be done to these thrifty little "airpots" before using them
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• smithmal
        smithmal commented
        Editing a comment
        Jamie, pretty sweet pot! Any idea how many gallons that pot is? I'm going to be using something similar to that for my garden up-pots. I bought 100x 5" net cups that should allow me to water from the bottom up (http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Net-...ilpage_o03_s00). I'll bet these would also work very well with cuttings. We'll see...

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Malcolm I'd say these "pots" are maybe a hair under a gallon.. But they have them in a couple different sizes at the dollar tree..I've got to go back & see if I could find some bigger ones.. I have definitely seen a bit smaller than this as well, maybe equivelant to 1/2 gallon so really good sizes for cuttings.. I figure why pay more because it says "airpots" on the label when all you really need to do is add some drainage holes.. After all, saved $$ = more cuttings right? Lol 😉

• binbin9
        binbin9 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the same pots, great minds think alike =). However i double it up and position it so the holes are covered more. Or else the soil drops out and makes mess.

Jamie have you had any issues pulling them out of pot?

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Brian Nope no probs getting them out at all.. You can see if the roots start to protrude in a bad way pretty easily so I've just tucked them back in very gently the few times it has happened. They do tend to dry out very quickly but whenever I've removed them for up-potting the whole pot is root mass & nothing has been stuck.. Always a bunch of tiny feeder roots that basically take over the pot..One drawback is that there are many entry points for fungus gnats if you're dealing with that problem but then again the soil is never really over moist enough to draw them in. I really like it so far, hope this idea helps somebody else out too

When I start seeing issues with fungus on the cuttings, I hit them with some Daconil and put in about 1" of sand on the top of the cup/pot. Sand reduces surface area moisture at the soil level and also greatly cuts down on the gnat breeding.
      Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree the sand is really helpful for battling those stinking fungus gnats and for reducing fungus/mold in general. Great tip Malcolm! I've never used the daconil before, how does it compare to H202? Probably more potent I would think right?

• smithmal
        smithmal commented
        Editing a comment
        My experience with fungus and Daconil has not been that great. When I see fungal issues, I spray. Sometimes it goes away, but more than not, it doesn't. Honestly I think my fungal issues have been more of an issue with over watering, growth media recipe and growing conditions. I saw it really bad this past winter using a humidity cup with Miracle Grow potting mix. I couldn't get rid of it no matter how much I sprayed. I then swapped out my media with Pro-Mix and added sand to the top and was able to save some of my cuttings. That being said, I'm growing exclusively under 6500K T8 bulbs, so no UV from natural sunlight which really cuts down on fungal issues. If you've got fungal issues, I think the best measure would be to get the cutting/soil surface more daylight exposure than anything else. The sand though DEFINITELY helped with gnat population. I think sand works way better than the gnat prevention products you can spray on your plant/soil (which I tried and saw no improvement).. .
    Working...
    X