X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cold is too cold for cuttings?

I don't have a green house so being the humidity always high here in south louisiana as soon as I put my cuttings in cups I put them in milk crates and put them under the corner of my house and this has worked well for me for years now. This season I started a little earlier then usual and the last few cool fronts I would bring them in but tonight it's supposed to drop only in the 50's and they are staying out, is the 50's too cool for them?
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

I don't think it will hurt them as long as they are out of the wind.
    Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

Think it is fine if it is just a night or two and the days warm up. It is that constant wet and cold that takes the toll
      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, thanks
        Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

From my observations 40's is too cold, the cuttings will stop growing and may even drop their leaves.
          Overnights in the 50's should not be a problem as long as the daytime temps are back up over 60 deg F. Good luck.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• quackmaster
            quackmaster commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Pete, the low will be about 52 or so tonight but will be in the 70's tomorrw, so they should be fine then.

Man you guys in the southern areas are killing me . I have to wait until the third week in May to worry about those temps.Ha ha ha.

Comment

• quackmaster
            quackmaster commented
            Editing a comment
            This has been an unusually watm winter, I didn't have a single frost in my yard this past winter.
        Working...
        X