X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fig aerial roots on cutting?

On my celeste rooted fig cuttings are these little whitish red bumps on the bark. It looks like roots with rust above the ground level trying to break through. I am confuse at what this is or why this is occurring. None of my other rooted cutting got this phenomena. I have already added more soil to give the aerial roots (?) something to attached to but I cannot cover the whole branch because it is over 12 inch long. What is this and why does it happen?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Austin, Tx Zone 8B.
    Rooting: vdb, rdb, celeste, blk mission, strawberry ischia, ukn green.

Picture is too blurry for me to make out but cuttings will root along the stem in high humidity environments. The roots will air prune themselves eventually.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• austin
      austin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!1 Iwas not aware of that.

I believe I had the exact same thing on my Moscatel Preto cuttings, I had them all in a bag of moss and one was laying on top not completely covered by the moss for a few days.. When I first saw it I thought it may have been some kind of fungus or root primordium (sp?) but it was hard and would not come off when I gently scraped it.. I decided to cup this cutting to get it out of the bag just in case it was something funky (didnt want the others in the bag to get it if it was). Anyhow within a couple days it turned out to be a gigantic nice healthy white root.. Which was followed by others.. So I'm going to 2nd Don's explanation of it being the result of a high humidity environment
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• austin
      austin commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great example. I thought it was a strange fungus too.
      now they are dried and creating and there are alot of callus around the dying roots.

It looks to me like the citing is getting ready to send out some roots above the soil surface. One thing I noticed in the pics is that the soil looks quite wet. Definitely don't want to leave the cutting sitting into much moisture or you run the risk of rot.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a good observation Bryant, I see that now too (soil appears very wet).. Excellent attention to detail my friend! Austin you may want to cut back on the watering a bit just to be on the safe side..

• austin
      austin commented
      Editing a comment
      It is now being aired out.
Working...
X