X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will fig trees continue to grow, but not produce fruit with less than ideal light?

I'm just curious as space is limited, but I'd like to start some small cuttings. I'm looking at about 4 hours or so of direct sunlight in 8a near Dallas, Texas.

They may eventually produce. About 20 of mine get about six hours of sun per day and they produce pretty good.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I am new to figs, but, I can speak to how tomatoes produce in shade to partial shade.....poorly. I would guess it would be the same for figs. Even with limited production the flavor would most probably suffer.
      Last edited by jmaler; 04-04-2016, 12:21 AM.
      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

One of my unknowns is a rescue from a completely shaded spot. It spent several years there growing a a couple of feet during the summer and dying to the ground from the cold every winter. Never produced fruit there but has brebas on it this year in a pot.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• jmaler
          jmaler commented
          Editing a comment
          We'll keep our fingers crossed for you Don.

I have a number of plants that get shaded to a greater or lesser extent by a huge mango tree in the afternoon. The less shaded, the more fruit. Very clear to see, across the rows of plants (over 50). The ones under the branches of the mango are lucky to yield 2 or 3 fruit. The ones on the opposite side producing heavily.

Comment

I had 2 fig trees in parts of the yard that were shaded...WAG they got 4-6hrs of sun a day. I had planted these figs ~22 years ago. They never produced any fruit or grew more than 3' tall until I dug them up about 5 years ago and planted them in my field that gets full sun.Now they grow 6-8' tall each year after winter damage and produce figs.Fig trees need the sun and heat to be productive.
          Barry
          NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

Typically the minimum is 6 hrs of sun but more is better. Worse, if they don't get enough sun the growth will be lanky and weak.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Working...
            X