X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The shuffle

Yup, wife is gonna be pissed when she comes down in the morning and sees this...
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Queens, NY. Zone 7B. Restarting my collection.

The first few are the hardest. Then it gets easier because they blend together. Then it gets harder again because there are so many more that it becomes noticable. But then it gets easier again because there are so many that she doesn't notice a few more. And hopefully by that point you can put them outside ;-)
    Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

It's pretty cold here also, 55F at 1am. I just opened my bedroom window to let some of that cool air in, should hit upper 80s on Wednesday. I'm going to do a shuffle also, from my hot greenhouse into the shadehouse. and my wife won't mind a bit.
      My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

A man got to do what a mans got to do
        Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
        Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

I feel your pain. My living room has been packed with figs for the past couple of weeks. Needless to say, my wife is not happy. On the bright side, with every passing day her frustration grows a little bit more, and brings me one step closer to the greenhouse of my dreams.

Comment

Freezing weather here in NJ the shuffle this year is worse than previous seasons. The plants leafed out weeks ago and I had them out day and night for a while. Some nights they went into my shed but the last few nights I dragged them back into the garage where they will stay for a day or two. Many are nicely leafing out and the thought of losing them weighs heavily so in they go
            In a nut shell. This really stinks.

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
              Rafaelissimmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto Coop

• Italianstallon99
              Italianstallon99 commented
              Editing a comment
              It was warmer this winter then it is in the night now. Freeze warning here in Galloway night. Glad I got a cart!

Johnny k. That will be a nice place for you to live.
            Gee thanks Harvey it was a balmy 27 with wind chill of 15 as I waited a half hour on a train platform this morning.

The rest of them go in an out of the garage but these are just the ones that live on my terrace.

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              My mom grew up in North Dakota and walked a couple of miles to school, honestly. Thank God my grandfather moved to California. On the other hand, my dad's parents came from an even nicer climate in Madeira but found much better opportunities here. My body aches when it gets into the 40s. I've worked outside in the 20s a few times and that sucks, no thanks. God did not make my body to put up with that cold stuff.

I think Coop summed it up pretty well... this stinks.
            Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
            Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

• Kelby
              Kelby commented
              Editing a comment
              Supposedly by the 15th temperatures even out.

• PA Figs
              PA Figs commented
              Editing a comment
              The 15th of which month haha

Even down in the sunny south the shuffle continues. This will be the second time back in the garage for my 50+ pots this coming weekend with frost predicted. The small pots are not a problem, it's the 15-20 gal that's the back breaker even with hand trucks. I moved them off their dollies to soon, Bummer!
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              We have frost predicted for Saturday morning. Rather than move them in from the greenhouse, Im moving a space heater out there. Hopefully, this will be the last frost of the season.

I moved all my container figs back in the garage last night and they will stay there until Sunday morning. I'll open the door during the day when I can in order to get some light to them. It was 29 deg last night and lows of 30 and 28 predicted for tonight and Saturday night, respectively. Brebas on the in-ground figs, asian pear blossums, and blueberry blossoms might bite the dust. Yes, this sucks.
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• newnandawg
              newnandawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve, it does suck. My in ground trees have already had one frost and knocked the
              vegetative growth back and some of the brebas look like sun burn on top. They may
              or may not make it. Not much I can do about them there are so many (85) trees to
              deal with.
              Last edited by newnandawg; 04-05-2016, 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Same deal here, its going to be 33 tonight, just moved everything into the garage, tossed a small heater in a tiny greenhouse and crammed as many things as I can into it.
            2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

I told myself I wasn't going to do the fig shuffle, when I bring the figs out they are just going to stay out... Several weeks ago the weather was warm so I figured it was safe to set my Black Maderia up in my pop up greenhouse. Now the damn thing has leafed out and we're experiencing lows of 27 degrees, in April, when last week it was in the 70's none the less!

Anyway I brought the rest of my figs back into my attached garage where they can be warm for the next few days. But it looks like I will be doing the shuffle with my Black Maderia every morning and evening for at least the next week or so. Ack...
              Queens NYC - Zone 7b
              (DatesNFigs at the other place.)

Comment

• Figinqueens
                Figinqueens commented
                Editing a comment
                I am just going to leave them in till next week. I usually will keep them out to close to freezing but the lemon trees are a little more sensitive.

Checked the forecast and now they're saying down to 30F tonight. Cord is run and heater is set up in the greenhouse.
              Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Hmm, yesterday I rotated some of the trees in my garage around a bit so the more eager ones would be up front and easy to shuffle; I put about 8 out for the first time this morning. Different weather everywhere, I'm sure we will get at least one or two more spring storms here. Luckily the bulk of my trees are just starting to break bud.

Figinqueens, if your not careful..you might be eating at that little table for awhile.
                Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

We had two nights around 29 last week and a low of 27 Saturday night. New buds and brebas on the in-ground figs are toast but I don't think there was any other damage. It seems that the figs retreated back into dormancy. Time will tell with the blueberries and asian pears that are in full bloom. The one thing I am worried about is my young in-ground Lyubimi pomegranate. It had very small and tender new leaves (like a large grain of rice size) and they are totally dead now. Hopefully, it will come back with new leaves or at least new shoots from ground level.
                  Steve
                  D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                  WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Sunday morning we got down to 28F. I slept in so didn't get out to the greenhouse until about 10:00am when the sun had been shining for almost 4 hours and the wind had been calm. Outside temp at that time was 39F but between the sun and the heater the temp in the greenhouse was 92F. It's no wonder the barn cats like to sneak in there....
                    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

That's it. I'm done. They stay out

Comment

55 last night, 30 tonight....shuffle again
                        Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

I think we are done with our cold snaps down here, I put out more 1 gallon pots the other day, its going to be 46 tonight, they are out of the next and my fingers are crossed. I assume they will be ok but this is my first time every really doing any of this. cjmach my mom is in Dracut, MA and has a couple potted hardy chicagos im hoping shes shuffling well. lol
                          2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

• Rewton
                            Rewton commented
                            Editing a comment
                            We are expecting a low of 36 degrees and my one gallons are out. I think they will be fine.

• cjmach1973
                            cjmach1973 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hopefully there not to big and heavy, we had another 1/2 inch of rain today-before the cold air came in.

I'm done shuffling too. The cold zapped the banana plant leaves but the figs seem to not care about 35 or so. I don't think the citrus love it either but the leaves have been hanging on

Comment

I think I will be able to get everything out this week, 35 tonight then above 40 for the foreseeable future
                            Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

I have about 45 of mine out of my cold room in the basement, about 30 still in storage as they are barely budding.
                              Those out of storage have been shuffled back in the garage 4-7 times now depending on the length of time out of storage). Tonite temp is to be 28, and tomorrow nite 32, so they stay in the garage all day tomorrow. After that the next week is predicted to be good.
                              Ed
                              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

finally
                                Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Above 40 F in the two week forecast here too. Woo-hoo!
                                  Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

In about a week, I see that our lows will be in the 50s. I have mine in a greenhouse but they'll go outside of that after low temps stay above 50 at night consistently.
                                    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Working...
                                    X