X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 ft potted fig tree got rust (some leaves)

It looks like due to too much fertilizer and resulted many leaves suddenly got rust. What should I do with those leaves got some rust ? Keep it there or remove them all ?
    ​Will they drop off automatically later on or not ?

People say never remove to let the tree do what it wants. If I have tree with only few leaf with rust I cut them off and dispose. Make sure you pick up leaf from pot soil. You can try bondie cooper spray and give more air flow
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• pacifica
      pacifica commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry it should be too much fertilizer caused fertilizer burn on the leaves and not rust.

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      You 100% positive?

Too much fertilizer would cause fertilizer burn on the leaves not Rust.
    Rust is a fungus that grows on the leaves and results in rust colored spots and leaf necrosis (cellular decay). Its caused by the presence of rust spores and moisture.

In either case the leaves can be left alone. Rust can be treated with a Fungicide labeled for Rust. Good luck.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Hi Pete : Attached is an image showing my fig tree is suffering from too much fertilizer and caused fertilizer burn on the leaves for your comment. Please help to adv how to correct the mistake with many thanks.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        What type tree?.... If you wanna keep private initials of tree. Ours look close... If is same I send you fix solution ....

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        If it was water soluble fertilizer you should be able to flush it out with fresh water but the damage to the leaves is permanent and can't be fixed, they should recover (the undamaged portions) if left alone. Hopefully your potting mix drains well enough (fast enough) for flushing without becoming water logged.

If it was granular fertilizer remove as much of the fertilizer as possible then flush the potting mix with fresh water

After flushing out the excess fertilizer the correct amount of fertilizer / nutrients will have to be reapplied to the containers and mix.

The above generalized answer is all that I can recommend without knowing the size of the container, what type and how much fertilizer was applied. Good Luck.

BTW, sunburn also causes similar looking leaf damage.

See?
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• pacifica
        pacifica commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine is Italian Honey and I bought it from one guy last August. Can you help ?

Hi Pete : First I added some chicken manure on top of the 20" pot then a week after I added some coffee ground. A week after I put just a little dolomitic limestones on top of the surface of potting mix etc. This could be my mistake to add too many fertilizers in 3 weeks right ? I did flush with a lot of fresh water yesterday to see if help or not.
      One member told me that my Italian Honey fig tree could be due to sunburn as well. I actually moved it from the garage to outside to enjoy more sun in the last twenty some days for a few hours a day only. It was OK in the first 10 days but from last 5 days, problem appeared.
      Frankly speaking, I am not sure if due to too much fertilizers or sunburn. Please adv what to do with thanks.

Comment

Pacifica, It's easy to burn plants with chicken manure. I am betting that's the problem here.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• pacifica
          pacifica commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Jerry,
          What should I do for now ? I did flush the pot with fresh water for a few minutes. Does it help ?

I would have to agree with the other "Sunburn" diagnosis, especially from the pictures and your descriptions. Fertilizer burn usually results in curled outer leaf edges which initially turn darker green then sometimes die. In either case the dead areas can be cut away for a neater appearance or left in their jagged state, they do not need to be removed if a major portion of the leaf is still healthy and green.

The Chicken Manure, Coffee grounds and Dolemite Limestone wshould not "burn" the leaves when applied in moderate amounts... If its the bagged manure its usually already partially composted and "Mild", Coffee grounds add low amounts of Nitrogen and Dolemite limestone is basically sand. The last question is how much of each was added to that 15 - 20 gallon (?) container?

As a comparison I can add 2 cups of Organic Fertilizer (Espoma-tone), 1/2 cup of coffee grinds and 1 cup of Dolemite Limestone to a 5 gallon container without causing any damage to leaves of a growing fig tree.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• pacifica
          pacifica commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you again for your analysis and I agree with you that my Italian Honey got sunburn and not over fertilizer. What must I do for now with the leaves that got sunburn ? Leave them alone for sometime ? Thanks............

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Leaf them alone...

• pacifica
          pacifica commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Pete !

AscPete Hi Pete, I live in westchester county NY. Do you know where I can go about getting a soil test in NY, if there even doing it now with the pandemic? Is there a cost so you know?
        Zone 7a Westchester County, NY
        Wish List:Col De Dame Blanc, Calderona, Holy Smokes,De La roca, Golden Dawn, Vincenzo

Comment

Working...
      X