X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping trees... is there any way?

Best way to shop 5 foot tree (s) from CA to Michigan? Is it economical or should I just start over?

How old is the tree?

What size pot?

How's much does it weigh?

Is the recipient willing to pay whatever the shipping is?
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

If you're moving there, what's the time frame? Is your vehicle big enough to take the tree(s)? Is it feasible to rent a vehicle to take them yourself and tow your own vehicle? It might give you a nice cross-country trip in the bargain, too.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

I just got a 2 foot lemon tree in a 3 gallon pot, so just about 4' top to bottom. The pot had paper taped over the top to hold in the dirt, with a hole cut for the trunks. I believe it was then taped to a cardboard base which was affixed to a slender, tall cardboard box.... Kind of like a phone booth. The entire box was then filled with packing peanuts and sent overnight or 2-day from one state away with This Side Up written on two sides. Lost some leaves but overall, a good method.
        Last edited by SarinaP; 04-05-2016, 08:56 PM. Reason: Add'l info added
        Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• SarinaP
          SarinaP commented
          Editing a comment
          Considerably smaller than your tree but it was lighter than I expected. The potting mix was very light, even though damp for the trip. S/H was $12
          Last edited by SarinaP; 04-05-2016, 08:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Maybe hire a mover that will drop a container at your house. U-load and the mover picks up the container and delivers it to your new house then you unload it. My son used one for a move from Texas to Nevada. He was happy with the experience.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Seven 5' trees were just shipped successfully between Calif and Texas... and these were trees of approx 1.5" caliper with substantial root foundations. We used UPS ground for the 24x24x60" box. It ran about $70.
          CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

I'm moving but the moving company doesn't take plants for various liability and agricultural reasons. Any of my plants will either be shipped or scavenged by friends and maybe Craigslist ad.

Vehicle won't do. Small car, notorious overpacker

Comment

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              In that case, I'd do UPS ground option Bluemalibu talked about.

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              BTW...what part of Michigan? I used to live in a small town about an hour north of Lansing for six years. Beautiful country up there.

You can prune the tree down to say 2', use a smaller box and save a few bucks.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I have shipped and received many large trees in the mail. First make sure you cut off all the leaves. Then remove all dirt from the roots Then get a plastic pag and fill it with wood chips and sphagnum moss and put the roots in it. I received ten trees in August last year and did not loose one being shipped like this. They were all around four feet tall and over a couple years old.
              Cian.

Comment

I just received a grape vine from Georgia. It was bare rooted and the roots were packed with water crystals and securely wrapped in plastic to prevent a mess.

Like http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-G...0831/202563065

You may consider bare rooting as noted in above post. Cut the plants to about 6 inches or so and securely pack the roots with water crystals. You could pack quite a few in a large shipping box and they should hold up for I would thing a couple weeks packed this way.

I think USP will hold packages 5 days and Fedx will hold but I could not find for how long. You will need to instruct the carrier to hold the package.
                Last edited by jmaler; 04-07-2016, 09:13 AM.
                Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

what about something like a freight shipment if you don't want to bare root? not sure how much you are looking to spend but when I was really into racing cars, engine replacement was typical, and those I would get freight shipped to my home for not all that much money at all in comparison to how much it costs to Fedex ship a small package, even now I get gym equipment sent to my home this way and those are typically very long and heavy.

You can find wood pallets almost anywhere that large box stores, industrial lots, or nurseries are tossing, strap the pot to the pallet using a few ratchet straps, and either buy a cardboard pallet box or try possibly finding a refrigerator box to throw over the top.
                  Chris NE Philadelphia

Comment

Put them in boxes like you were to ship them and the movers would probably just put them on the same truck...
                    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Lable the box "lamp"

Comment

hmmm I put big fox tail palm in a carpet tube roll. came with everything else in fine shape. I guess the 12' live christmas tree from Atlanta to Michigan was a fluke. arrived in grand shape.

Comment

Working...
                        X