X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother Trees

I thought it might be fun to post some pictures of the mother tree of my Marseilles which has gone out to many of you as cuttings. So many of us get trades from one another, it might be nice to see in one thread what we have to look forward to. The first is a picture from yesterday, she is just starting to leaf out (please disregard the dandelions!). The other picture are from Instagram this past summer.

I know this will be hard for people who have sent out dozens/hundreds of cuttings, but I do wonder what some of the mother trees look like! Please post pictures so that those of us who got the cuttings can daydream!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by SarinaP; 04-06-2016, 02:44 PM. Reason: added the last line
    Zone 7a in Virginia

just to let you know all cuttings you sent rooted and leafed out going to put them in pots tomorrow YEAH

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      So glad they're rooting for you!

Does it look like the brebas will survive the frost?
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      That picture was from last year... nothing yet, just got the first leaf.

A couple that left the nest. Arrived on 1-19. Started with just moss, then added a little soil to get watered in once roots showed up. Just using 24wx4ft 6500K LED bulbs 10 hr per day
    Thanks
    Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      How great--you got some great roots on them! I feel like a proud grandma!

Although I don't have the mother trees of these two varieties, I thought it would be nice to post two "sister trees" of the cuttings I sent your way a few months back.. Below are pics of the CdDG (bottom pic) and Emerald Strawberry (top pic) Both were started in late November/early December timeframe and have grown nicely for me.. Can't wait to try figs from them! If not this summer then hopefully by summer of 2017
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jamie0507; 04-09-2016, 10:50 AM. Reason: Forgot to share which pic was the CdDG and which was the ES.. Dohhh! 😉
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh wow, these look great!

Snowing here today so here's a look back to summer to oppose the cold. This tree was about 8 feet tall, Zingarella (Mongibello), full leaf photo taken July 25. Look closely, you'll see a 6 foot vertical bamboo stake in the middle with a horizontal yardstick about 5 feet up. This tree was in its third leaf from cutting. (So, technically a 2 year old tree in its third year, after growing very well from a cutting.)

Leafless pics were taken post frost October 28 showing some of the figs that did not fully ripen pre-frost. Dozens did, dozens did not. Had over a hundred figs on it at one point. 15 gallon container embedded in ground with holes for roots to escape. This tree received direct sunlight until about 3 pm. A few of those figs still hanging were mildly flavorful going into early November, though not full ripe sweet.

This "spring" the tree remains in garage (though shuffled once) with about an inch of snowfall outside overnight, still snowing, temps to drop to high teens tonight. Winter's last gasp, I think. The largest Brooklyn White brebas (aka Naples White apparently) in garage are about half the size of golf balls.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      People who got those cuttings are very lucky! (snowing here too)

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tony they look great! Do you happen to have any of your Emerald Strawberry mother tree by any chance?

Of Emerald Strawberry I think just these in among the forest shots, August 31. If anything this cultivar is more vigorous than Mongibello, and I've grown it as bush form in pot (probably a mistake because difficult to prune, and difficult to winter store). Even with multiple trunks it was over seven feet tall.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      WOWEEEE!! What a beautiful tree and get a load of those figs! Sarina this is what we have to look forward to if all goes well Tony you were my source on the Emerald Strawberry cuttings I shared with Sarina, which is the "sister tree" pic I posted above

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Eeeeeeek! I'm so excited! I love seeing where all my cuttings came from!

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      The sister/daughter tree looks good. The lobes on those leaves will begin to stretch out, become more digitate when the tree begins to rapidly grow.

Sarina, sorry it took so long to get the picture. Couldn't figure out how to resize it. But here is the HC mother tree your cuttings came from.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey FarmerGreg The HC mama tree looks great! As for the issues with resizing pics to stay under 500 limit, do you have an iphone? If so, they have a free photo resizing app that works great.. Just search photo resizer when in the app store and it will come right up, so much easier than doing it other ways I guess it depends on what kind of phone you have, but Im pretty sure any smartphone would have an app for photo resizing?

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so excited! Thank you!
Working...
X