X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Meyer Lemon tree

Good morning everyone.
    I don't typically post OT stuff, but I recently splurged on some non-fig things from Starks, which I feel the order was mediocre after receiving but that's besides the point. I'm looking to up pot a little Meyer Lemon. I have a bale of pro-mix bx and the typical other things in the garage, like mushroom compost, pine bark mulch, garden soil, vermiculite, perlite, and seedling soil. I see the Miracle gro cactus and citrus soil in the local stores, so my questions is should I mix something up of what I already have or go the option of getting the little bag of Miracle gro stuff?
    Chris NE Philadelphia

I have a three year old Myer Lemon that's now in ground. I wouldn't bother with buying the MG cactus and citrus mix because with the exception of sand I believe you've got everything that's already in that mix. I remembered when I first bought my plant I saved this article on my computer to help me pot it. I hope you find something that may help you as I did.

https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/tip...ontainers.html
    Rick - Port Isabel, Texas / zone - 10a

Comment

I potted mine in compost, peat, and perlite (40/40/20) and they seem to be doing fine. Have some Meyer lemons getting a little bigger than golf ball size on a 1.5 year old plant. They recommend fast draining soil with a ph of 6 but you also have to make sure not to let the pot dry out. The lemons and maybe leaves will fall if the soil gets too dry. I had to double the amount of water that I was giving them to get the lemons to stick. Watering about 300-400g of water from my fish tank (ph above 7) twice a week in pots a little bigger than a gallon...basically the same as what I do with figs in pots.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

Thank you Don, and Rick. after researching these a little more on the internet I wasn't sure if what I had would work because everyone talks of root rot extremely easily about these. hopefully I don't kill this thing, I'm already questioning the health of it, the leaves seem a little droopy and have a lot of play so hopefully it's not dropping them.
        Chris NE Philadelphia

Comment

You probably already know this, but when you plant the tree, the root crown should raised just slightly above the soil line. Don't bury the roots entirely underground.
          Sarah
          Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• cdeguida4
            cdeguida4 commented
            Editing a comment
            did not know this! thank you!

Just a quick note, find out what kind of root-stock they used if you purchase a grafted meyers lemon. There are different types used that make a huge difference in the size of your tree I have some that I bough twelve years ago that are twenty feet tall now and then one that I bought as a dwarf that is fifteen years old and is only four feet tall and the little one still makes more lemons than I can use. Just in case you wondered, when I bought the trees they were tiny and I was greedy so... I got carried away and planted too many

Comment

• cdeguida4
            cdeguida4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that's a lot of citrus! it doesn't look grafted to me but I will check to see, to me it look's like a recently rooted green wood cutting, everything is green on it, nothing is hardened off. I will get a pic up later when I get home. It says dwarf on the order but not grafted, the persimmon, and peach tree did note grafted on it, and is obvious on those trees, but who knows with these online catalog places.

my Meyer lemons produced sweet wonderful lemons the size of baseballs the first year in my planter box around the pool lanai area no special soil but I live in Florida yeah

Comment

I gotta admit, I love the Myers they really take a beating here, we had a year when it got down to 18 degrees and although they died back to stumps just above the grafts they grew back quickly and by the second year were putting out plenty of fruit again. Wifeys favorite pie happens to be homemade from scratch lemon meringue

Comment

yumms it is my husband favorite also mine too. alton brown on food channel has a kick hinnie recipe. Lowes here has meyer lemon trees and so does the orchard down the street

Comment

Working...
              X