X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beale vs. Beall Fig

I had thought these two names were synonymous (which is noted on the F4F site), but then I see on the figcuttings.com site that both are available for purchase. Are these two distinct varieties?
    Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

There not the same, I had one that made big dark figs with white inside and seen the other with red inside, I don't remember which one I had.
    Vito

Comment

Vito,

Wow, they sound radically different then. I've seen this fig spelled Beal/Beale/Beall and have thought maybe their were all synomonous. If anyone can provide specific information on Beal vs. Bealle that would be helpful. I believe I have a Beal (if memory serves), but it would be nice to know leaf patterns and fruits differences between the two so I can confirm identity.
      Last edited by smithmal; 04-08-2016, 11:00 AM.
      Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

Beall info:
        From the Rolling River Nursery website:

"This purplish-black skinned, amber fleshed large fruit has a delicate, mildly sweet flavor. Produces 2 crops and is good for fresh use. Moderately vigorous tree was introduced in Santa Clara, CA by W.A. Beall in 1924."

Pic of fig:

Link to pic of Beall pulp.
        Last edited by smithmal; 04-10-2016, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Link to Beale fig.

Link to Beale fig pulp.

Comment

Still confused...

I've seen posts on F4F where the Beall (Beal) fig is reddish in color so now maybe I've got these two fig varieties reversed? I've read that Beale originates from the "FN" collection. Can anyone expound on what it means the FN is noted at the end of a fig name (I assume it stands for someones name like Adriatic JH (JH Adriatic) or Marseilles Black VS) but not sure.

Comment

Also, is it possible once again the Beale and Beall (Beal) are the same fig except that when it is caprified it's coloring changes? On the F4F website, you can see that the Beall fig is pictured both as a purple fig and a reddish yellow fig.

Comment

Here are some pics from a small UCD Beall. I attribute the lack of size and color to it being a small plant without sunlight. I should have better pictures later in the year.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

Beall fig from Ken Love
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Updated pics of Beall (pronounced be all) UCD. I don't think the exterior color came through so well in the pic. It had a nice red color. It had a mild honey flavor. Still early to really judge but I'm thinking this might be a better fig with the wasp. The little berries are honeyberries.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                  Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

The latter figs have a nice watermelon flavor for me. It's been a very slow grower. Probably the slowest I have along with Sucrette but I believe a lot of that had to do with the fact that they have had figs the entire time and I have not removed any to let them grow. Coming out of dormancy I expect them to grow better before they set figs.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• fattyfigs
                      fattyfigs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don can I ask where one would get the Beall you have? I am interested b/c I think my kids would love it. It's too bad it is slow Let me know if I could purchase or trade cuttings. If you know a good raspberry flavored fig..

• don_sanders
                      don_sanders commented
                      Editing a comment
                      fattyfigs I got mine in trade from someone that got cuttings from UCD which they don't do anymore. I think I heard they may service the CRFG though. We'll have to see how it grows this summer. I might be able to take cuttings in the winter.

• fattyfigs
                      fattyfigs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a lot of young plants myself..I'm sure I have something to trade if you like.
                  Working...
                  X