X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re Lattarula Fig

Does anyone know if this Lattarula Fig is suitable to grow in container or not ? How does it taste ? Sweet and bland ?

I have mine in a pot. Grows well. Good, sweet honey flavor. Not out of this world but a keeper.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

• pacifica
      pacifica commented
      Editing a comment
      How tall is yours in a pot ? I bought one yesterday and size is abt 7 ft tall. Looks like I have to plant it in a large container (20" dia) as I do not have place to put it in ground. I am glad to know that this variety is sweet honey flavor and not bland. Is inside reddish or yellowish ?
      Thanks for your responds.

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      There are a couple different Lattatulas out there. Mine is yellowish/brown inside. It's in. 15 gal pot, pruned to about 3' now, was closer to 5'.

Mine is yellowish inside. I keep it trimmed similar to some of the pruning info that is available in the beginning section. It is in a large pot, is about 5 feet tall, and is just starting to show brebas next to the new swelling buds. Even if I find a lot sweeter varieties, this one is a keeper. My wife likes it, and it is a cutting from my father-in-law's tree.
    Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

Thanks to Kelby and cjmach1973. Noted that two of you have put your Lattarula Figs in container and they are doing welland even with two crops.
      One member told me yesterday that Lattarula Fig is not suitable to plant in container as it will not grow well etc. so I spent an hour to remove two other plants to pots for the time being and dig a hole to put Lattarula Fig in ground (not enough space to plant in ground),

Comment

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        It depends on climate, too.

Mine is in a 4 gallon pot and doing great!!!
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I'd say it can do fine in a pot. My Italian Honey/Lattarula gave me about 3 dozen figs in a 5-gallon pot last year as a 2nd year tree. The figs that ripened during sunny and hot spells were really tasty. That being said, I put mine in ground this year. Even though there are other light figs I like more, it had the right combination of early ripening, productivity, and tastiness for the spot I put it.
        Johnny
        Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• Jamie0507
          Jamie0507 commented
          Editing a comment
          Johnny the Italian Honey/Lattarula cuttings you sent to me last November are doing amazingly well.. Both are very vigorous growers so far. Ive got them in 3 gal pots and they look quite happy Im sure I will need to up-pot again though here shortly..

My Lattarulla EL arrived as a bare root tree last year and quickly filled up its five gallon pot, moving on to a fifteen gallon pot. It has branched out well but is staying compact. It was my most productive tree last year and made figs continuously over a long season. It already has one breba on it for this year. The taste was okay, sweet and bland. Only my best tasting trees are earning ground space here, so it will stay in its pot in the future.
        Mara, Southern California,
        Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Thanks to all for your responds as regards to Lattarula Since some said it tastes good and some said OK and bland etc. I hope once I plant in ground, it will taste good as expected since I took a chance to buy this variety while it was the last one left at Costco on Friday. Before I know nothing about this variety at all.

Comment

Re the name confusion, I believe that there is a different variety, spelled with an "o" (Lattarola). It has a red interior.

I've tasted Lattarula / Italian Honey, which is fairly common. It seems a decent "honey" fig, with all that implies -- all the sugar/honey figs can seem to lack richness. But it is productive -- a friend calls it a "fig machine" once it gets going.
            Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• mountainfigs
              mountainfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree that dark berry or molasses or resiny figs in cool zones at least have proven (for me) far more likely to ripen rich and complex or full bodied and flavorful, beyond the more plain sugar notes. Honey figs can be very rich however. They need intense heat, I think, typically, moreso than a lot of dark figs need. At least, I've ripened a few Janice Kadotas that rival any dark fig for richness or complexity. (A photo of one is in the Ourfigs header.) The same may be true of sugar figs. I've ripened some dynamite LSU Purple and LSU Improved Celeste (sugar) figs, LSU Purple having a tremendous maple sugar candy taste, very flavorful more than rich or complex I suppose but a great taste. LSU Improved Celeste has approached rich or complex and possibly gotten there once or twice while being more typically a very sweet sugar taste.

Should turn out to be a great purchase. I've written about this fig elsewhere:

Also known as Lattarula and Italian Honey fig, Marseilles (or White Marseilles) is a teacup shaped green ripe fig with amber interior. This was the favorite fig of Thomas Jefferson that he imported from France to grow at Monticello. Touring France, Jefferson wrote that the Marseilles fig is “the most delicate fig in Europe.” Marseilles is “delicate” in honey flavor, strong otherwise.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
            Tony WV 6b
            https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• pacifica
              pacifica commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi mountainfigs, Thanks for the images to show how does Lattarulla fruit looks like. Mine should be the same one as per your images according to the hang tag given. Hope it tastes better and not bland.

HI Pacifica
            just to put my 2 cents in
            my Italian honey in ground for over 25 years
            my lattarulla I bought from Adriano in a pot
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• jkuo
              jkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              The Italian Honey looks like mine. Lattarula is generally considered the same as Italian Honey, even on Adriano's website. If I had to take a wild guess, that Lattarula looks more like a Peter's Honey.

• pacifica
              pacifica commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks luzzu

• pacifica
              pacifica commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks jkuo

I'm a relative newbie, but I have a very knowledgeable friend who swears that these are the same varieties, and she owns both. To my novice's eye, the leaves in the two pictures seem the same. The fruit looks a little different, but the "Lattarula" fig seems not fully ripe. Could that explain the difference in both look and taste?
            Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• pacifica
              pacifica commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi jrdewhirst
              Thanks for your explanations. looks like more people prefer the taste of Italian Honey and not Lattarulla. Too late for me as already bought and being in ground.
          Working...
          X