X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife/GF Approved πŸ‘ Homemade SIP's :)

So I have been wanting to give this SIP thing a try for quite a while.. Problem was I couldn't get passed the Tractor Supply/home depot/lowes etc logo all over the bucket.. Actually the whole bucket look was killing me πŸ˜‰ So I decided I must figure out a way to combine utility with at least a SOMEWHAT aesthetically pleasing look to it.. So what did I turn to you ask?? Why duct tape of course! Pretty Duct tape to be more specific.. Yes guys we found a way to girlify your manly duct tape! Haha! High 5 ladies! But don't be too sad about the duct tape thing guys, because perhaps an adamantly opposed (to the bucket look) wife/GF JUST MIGHT go for having those 50-100 or so homemade SIP's if they look a wee bit more pleasing to the eye.. Okay maybe not 50-100 of em lol, but hey Im pulling for yas if you've been previously shut down on this idea.. And on top of that they have these roles of pretty duct tape for 99cents at the Dollar Tree! Yayy! Win win I think.. Now I sure hope I made these things right.. Utility wise at least 😁 hehe
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

How cute!!!!! I'm thinking of spray painting mine a neutral dark brown to maybe look like wood from far away, but this is great too!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sarina I tried spray painting as well! Unfortunately the paint ran when I did so it didn't come out so well But maybe it would have worked better though if it was a bit warmer in my basement. I believe the temp has a lot to do with how well spray paint sticks, especially on plastic.. If you do it post a pic! I'd love to see

Nice, Jamie!

Whatever works for "hiding" the 30+ fig trees.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Kevin you just gave me an idea! For you camouflage loving/hunting types, they also sell the tape in camo colors! Lol! "Fig trees? What fig trees? I don't see anything honey!" Haha!

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same thing. If you do the camo tape our SO's might not be able to count the fig pots unless they go right over and count the individual pots.

Good luck hiding all your new additions.

I have no freakin idea on how I'm goin to hide the new ones this year ...

My wife doesn't like being outside or doing yard work so maybe she will not notice.

Nice idea! They look great.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a bunch Frank!

Jamie, you have too much time on your hands! Seriously, I also was dealing with the aesthetics of figs growing in buckets. I decided to paint all mine a beige color using spray paint. They look much better but the tape idea could be worth looking into.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! My husband would beg to differ with having too much time thing haha, according to him I'm always rushing around & don't know how to relax .. But I digress.. It was actually surprisingly simple, it only took about 15 more minutes to do the taping.. Takes even less time when you can dupe your little sister into doing a 2nd one at the same time! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ˆ hehe!

Jamie,

Thanks for sharing the photos and info.
    The pattern (in the 1st photo) reminds me of my favorite shirt.

BTW, Paint Stripper will usually remove the logos from the buckets (works on the blue W*lmart's), and a roller can apply an even coat of paint.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awesome Pete, we must have the same taste in patterns then! Haha! You can have matching shirts/SIPs now πŸ˜‰πŸ‘ Thank you for the tip on stripping the buckets first and then rolling the paint on.. You've just given me my next SIP beautifucation project idea.. Now if I can only find that paint stripper that I know I have SOMEWHERE in my basement or garage lol

Very nice Jamie! Do you think it'll hold up to sunlight?
    Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Greg I really hope so! Time will tell on that one because they will be receiving 10 hours of direct sunlight soon (if the sun ever comes out again, it is actually SNOWING here right now 😞) so it will surely be tested. Now that you mentioned that, I'm thinking it may be better to use the better quality duct tape instead of the Dollar Tree version.. You can find higher quality duct tape with the cool patterns in a lot of stores, I saw it in Tractor Supply just last week for a few bucks more.. Maybe I will do some experimenting with it & report back my results as the summer goes on Great point though!

Jamie
    Could you show photos of the workings of your sip buckets ?? I have looked at youtube ,several use hydro pots in the bottom would your dollar store net pots be strong enough to support the growing medium? If that is the method you used .everything I will grow probably will have to be in a container since I'm in iowa zone 5-4 it was a brisk 22℉this morning βœŒπŸ™‰πŸ™ˆπŸ™Š
    Thanks Schroeder
    Last edited by Schroeder; 04-09-2016, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Schroeder who is stranded in Iowa! (Love your location btw hehe!). Although I am probably not the best person to ask about the workings of a SIP (because I am brand new to making them as well πŸ˜‰), I would be happy to share some photos or maybe even a short video of the next one I make (probably tomorrow morning or Monday evening the latest) if that would help? I did use my dollar tree net pots in one (dollar tree colander in the otherπŸ˜πŸ‘) and so far it seems to be working well.. I had some trouble following the youtube instructional videos myself, and it seems like there are soooo many ways to make one (Which kinda also adds to the confusion for me lol) There are many forum members that have lots of SIP making experience though (THANK GOODNESS! πŸ˜‰) and I'm sure they will help guide us as we learn how to become awesome SIP makers too πŸ‘
      Last edited by Jamie0507; 04-09-2016, 11:54 AM.

Wow... they look so cute and nice... the second picture showes there is 2 eyes staring at me lol... nicely done Jamie... SIP.. i think ill ready a few soon...

Regards
    Jonathan
    My wish list is what ever come from my dear friend is the most special fig no matter what the vatiety is. I wish my dear friend to stay well always and always be happy. Jonathan

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      You should give it a try Jonathan! Would love to see them if you do πŸ˜‰

• Jonathan
      Jonathan commented
      Editing a comment
      I will and will post about it soon

What a great idea! I too have put off doing these because of the looks but this is creative.

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was so easy too Veggie_girl! I often wondered why they were making "pretty duct tape" too lol and then it hit me! It's a decorative thing! Haha! Now hopefully the tape stands up to the elements πŸ™

HeyJamie,

Ka ching! Design some figgy tree and fruit duck tape, ...oops, duct tape, and sell it to Lowe's, Tractor Supply and Home Depot. You could name it something like Ourfigs Pot Inside Extra Special Tape or OPIE'S Tape. Just a thought...maybe not. I can see it now - your beautification duct take idea is heading for TV's SHARK TANK for backing.

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol Bill I love your idea! Also funny thing is I have a roll of "duckie" duct tape also! I confess that for years I thought it was "duck tape" so I thought it was too cute to pass up a roll of it haha!

cool idea
    Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Nicely Done Jamie. We all appreciate creative fig gardening.
    Last edited by Coop; 04-10-2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Coop! I'm not always the creative type but every now and then I am inspired to try to be πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

If you did want to paint them this is the paint you would use Krylon Fusion it sticks to all plastics

Click image for larger version

Name:	g8420.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	82482

Last edited by Dave; 04-11-2016, 06:51 PM.
    Wish List -

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe that's why it didn't work so well! Lol! I just saw this in Home Depot this past weekend.. I will definitely have to give it a try.. Thanks Dave!

What would be a good color to keep the heat down?

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      How about lighter shades Dave? Would they work well too?

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      From a topic started by greenfig,
      http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....unt=12&forum=0

The linked document has interesting measurements and data for different pot colors....

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very interesting research there Pete.. I honestly did not know white washing pots or shading your pots in some way from southern and/or western exposure made such a huge difference! Now this is definitely something I will be thinking about this summer for sure! The 2nd article attached to greenfig's post was also really interesting that discussed fabric v plastic pots for winter protection! Lots of great food for thought.. Thanks for posting!

Here in SoCal, the black pots are better during the winter months for root growth -at least that's been my experience with roses. Bare root roses would arrive here in January and immediately go into black five gallon pots. They would grow faster in the sun warmed pots, establish a good root mass, then be ready to go into the ground by May/June when temps started to heat up. It also gave you a chance to see the blooms and decide if you wanted to keep it and plant it or give it away.
    Growing figs in pots inside other pots offers a similar way of maximizing the best of both seasons. The black 15 gallon size pots are in the sun during the winter, then inserted into larger pots for shade when temps get warmer. I have a soil thermometer and monitor the pot's sun-side soil temps and it works well for keeping the soil cooler. Right now I'm using those large 20 gallon size containers for mixing drinks that you can get at various party and hardware stores for the outer pots. They're colorful, cheap and effective.
    Mara, Southern California,
    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• Brian M
      Brian M commented
      Editing a comment
      Mara is there any insulation?

• Altadena Mara
      Altadena Mara commented
      Editing a comment
      Brian, the only insulation is empty shady space. Once the leaves bush out, there's even more deep shade. Figs are famous for that.

Great job Jamie, love the thought process for this. Too bad this still wont make my wife like my fig collection, I will probably spray paint/tape my test SIP anythough since i only have home depot orange buckets and they are butt ugly. Thanks for the ideas
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so glad you liked it Matty! I just figured I couldn't be the only one who didn't want to give HD/lowes etc all that free advertising! Lol! It's so easy to do as well, and so far I am loving these SIP's for the ease of not having to worry about watering every day, or even every week so far! It's starting to become a bit unmanageable to monitor the watering needs of the other 153 trees that are NOT in SIPs at the moment.. God I need help.. Haha!!

Hey Jamie! Your idea is a hit! My wife has been trying to make bucket sips look better since last summer, and she loves this idea! Oh, and btw i have tried the plastic spray paint and it didnt last two months before it started flaking off. Granted there could have been some user error Thanks for a great idea!

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Always remember that good ole saying Big Mike.. "Happy Wife=Happy Life!" Lol! Im so glad your wife likes this idea too! Let me know if you guys make any, Id love to see pics
Working...
X