X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Had a visitor in the shop today.

I was running an electrical line this afternoon and as I fished the romex down the wall into a recess out popped this tiny gal. I don't mind spiders at all, have been known to give the golden orb weavers a gentle pet but this gal did make me jump. It is by FAR the biggest spider I have ever seen other than a tarantula. That is a 2x4 she is next to........ I believe it is a female huntsman. She is still alive and well and I hope no more worse for the encounter than I was. Click image for larger version

Name:	spider3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	81951
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Waaaaaaaaaah! that looks like it has snow crab legs on it!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

That's a big spider!!!

When I was in high school, I worked in the produce department of a supermarket and when I was uncovering a pallet of bananas a spider of that size jumped out. Being from New England, we don't see spiders that large. I screamed so loud my boss came running and "took care of it". He then told me a story of when they found a snake in a pallet of bananas.

I am now a friend of spiders and let them be or move them to a different location.

Did you name her yet?
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the same job, but I found a Black Widow in some grapes. Thankfully it had been in the cooler and wasn't moving. It then made friends with my shoe.

• Harborseal
          Harborseal commented
          Editing a comment
          "Waaaaaaaaa Wa wa wa wa, close to you..."

I believe it would be a violation of my own rules if I said what I called her when she made her appearance. So........
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

That, is friggin cool!

Comment

That's a bugs nightmare. Those eyes looks evil. Ahhhhhh
            Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Enemies of my enemies are my friends Anything that eats other bugs in my garden is okay with me.

Comment

She is gorgeous Wills!!! Looks like she is earning her keep.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

EEEEKE lil figgy with blazing fire under tennis shoes from running away so fast

Comment

She owns the shop and tolerates your trespassing. You are a mere annoyance to her, though she will keep a close eye to make sure that you do not become a nuisance. The photo, she thinks, was pushing it. Since you grow the figs that attract her buggy meals, she gives you a pass.
                    Tony WV 6b
                    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	318870_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	82128...
                      Wish List -

Comment

It's just a beautiful little spider.... who only wants to hurt a fly.
                        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Everyone...when you unpack cuttings from Wills open the box slowly!!!!
                          Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

On the positive side Wills, this should keep thieves away.
                            Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

She was a big sucker.....I would guess leg span of about 8 inches. Body was wider than my finger. I was back out there today and while I don't have a fear of spiders I DID watch where I put my hands lol.

Comment

what kind of spidey is that?

Comment

A female huntsman. If you have ever seen the utube videos from Australia where the huge spiders are on the walls and they are trying to catch them....that is her They were stowaways and accidentally released in to south Florida and have been marching their way north through subtropical Florida........who knew. The neighbor has been here his entire life and has never seen one. I am thankful they don't spin webs as that would be one HUGE web Plenty of bugs so she can eat till her hearts content safely from me although my wife said if one gets in the house she will shoot it lol.

Comment

The spider equivalent of a werewolf. This is what bit the Hulk, although everyone blames it on radiation. Tell your wife she needs a minimum of .44 Magnum, 7" barrel to get the job done. .50 BMG is better.
                                    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Hopefully she eats coral snakes.
                                      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• COGardener
                                        COGardener commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Coral snakes are rear fanged and their fangs are very small, if you are envenomated by one you are working hard at doing so.
                                        Last edited by COGardener; 04-20-2016, 09:56 PM.

May I introduce my pet Egypt. She was 14 YO female tarantula in this photo. She was a great pet, loved to be held and will keep any other insects clear of her home simply be being!. A wonderful pet, I had 3 at one time, but egypt was our favorate.
                                      Wish List: 🙏🏼 Mavra Sika

Comment

• COGardener
                                        COGardener commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Mexican red knee.... very nice!!!

Yes Scott, a very nice Mex, I had a larger Mexican, but no photos. Great pets and very docile and interesting to watch. Have had many arachnophobic visitors completely change their minds after seeing and gently experiencing these beauties. Exoskeletons after molt are unbelievably life like, beautiful and fun to have mounted in small glass frames. We all miss Egypt and her ability to start very lively conversations. DID KEEP THEM SEPARATED AND OUT OF EACH OTHERS SIGHT! They are aggressive toward a meal and extremely fast at killing when irritated or hungry.
                                      Wish List: 🙏🏼 Mavra Sika

Comment

They found an entire colony of tarantulas down a bit south of me in Florida in an orange grove, i'm sure they were pets that were released and did what nature said they should do. The state went in and eradicated them, found over 300 individuals in varying age groups. I would have simply let them be, they were causing no harm. I like spiders and snakes (that sounds like a line from a song). so both are safe here....unless the ducks get them. Well I don't tolerate the rat snakes as they are so bad about raiding the ducks nests for the eggs but the rest can slither to their hearts content. As scott said the corals while very poisonous are rear fanged and while they are pretty common here I can't recall the last time someone was bitten by one.

The wife suggested a shotgun and I pointed out that would be a bit hard on the tile. Once not long after we moved here I heard her scream and said "yes dear" She said there is a big spider. I said well kill it, I was in bed and not getting up to deal with it. So she smacked it with something and then there was a lot of screaming. It was a house warmer and the females carry the babies on their back so when she winged it 1000 little spiders ran in all directions........I still laugh over it, she not so much. "city girls" rolls eyes.

Comment

• jmaler
                                          jmaler commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          We don't kill snakes here either. I like to kid you a bit about the coral snakes around your potting table.

We have plenty of rattlers, copper heads and coral snakes around here. We watch where we step and put our hands when out working and just keep on going.
                                      Working...
                                      X