X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Figaholics Youtube channel

I've considered doing this for a while and finally got around to doing it (at the sacrifice of sleeping, LOL). I've uploaded two grafting videos that I thought should be of interest to many

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFP...qIhN0ixZdi6WFg (edited link)
    Last edited by HarveyC; 04-08-2016, 08:36 PM.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Great job!!! I just watched the cleft grafting one and it's very well done. Makes me want to try it now!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Thanks for the videos. I might just try grafting again.

Last years grafts all failed.

Thanks again, you make it look easy.
      Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Great job Harvey. Thanks for sharing.
        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Thanks Harvey, I think I was your second subscriber earlier today. Look forward to your informational videos, especially now that I'm playing with grafting. Kudos on good videos!
          May the Figs be with you!
          ​​​​​

Comment

Harvey,

What do you prefer on the modified rind bark graft to the bark graft you posted a year or so ago. I have been using that graft for several years as I find it very forgiving with my limited knife skills.The simple scion angle cut under both flaps of the stock with both back edges trimmed. I have not grafted figs much but I use it successfully on over a dozen species. I understand there are many grafts that will work just wondering advantages that have switched you over to the modified rind.

Thanks
            Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm trying to remember what graft I previously showed. I have posted various ones before.

A modified rind bark graft removes any need of trying to align the cambium layer since lift the bark exposes that so there is direct contact. In addition, it seems that this type of graft always grows fastest for me. Finally, this is the easiest method I've been able to use to easily graft small scions (less than 1/8&quot; diameter, etc.).

• strudeldog
              strudeldog commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok you made me go find it. http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....ighlight=graft in this thread

I remember it as it's pretty much identical to what I use. I do put a wrap below the rubber band and above. as I am watching it now it appears pretty much the same as you posted here. I use the graft that Joe Real tutorialed on the citrus forum. I know he did not invent that graft but it detailed it very well
              Last edited by strudeldog; 04-08-2016, 09:23 PM.

Harvey,

Thanks for making and sharing the videos.
            They're definitely worth watching and bookmarking. I'll be attempting bark grafts later this spring after the fig trees start growing.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Wow Harvey thank you so much. I have been loosing sleep about trying grafting with some special cuttings and now have some courage! Wonderful labor of love. May all your plants be especially fruitful this year. Jodi
              Newbie to figs. Wishes for your favorite fig. Zone 8, Camp Verde AZ

Comment

Thanks everyone. I ordered some inexpensive studio lighting and hope the next ones come out a bit better, but figured these were "good enough". I also have a drone on order and plan to do some fun stuff with that later.

Comment

Hello Harvey,

Thank you so much for your afford and it helps me to learn more on grafting... great job sir.

Regards
                  Jonathan
                  My wish list is what ever come from my dear friend is the most special fig no matter what the vatiety is. I wish my dear friend to stay well always and always be happy. Jonathan

Comment

Great videos Harvey, thanks for doing them and sharing with us. I have a couple questions after watching, and just to clarify I am asking to learn, not contest. I have only done a few grafts fig grafts (0/3 success) and one successful stone fruit (and then the whole tree was killed by a very early super freeze that fall).

1. I see when you wrap the grafting tape, you just stretch and wrap. I thought I had to tuck the tail the same as you do with the rubber band. Is this totally unnecessary? I have to say the less fumbling with tape the better, but just making sure it stays in place the same as when tucking the tail.

2. Another tape question. When you wrap, it didn't look like you covered the top of the flush/stump type cut surface of the root stock. I thought that would be necessary to help stop any drying and keeping out spores, rain, and what-not. Do you do anything else like wax to seal this area, or would the heat of the wax be a bad thing?

Thanks again!
                    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• Bluemalibu
                      Bluemalibu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Calvin,
                      Harvey has been running himself ragged over the last few days; so, having been taught at the master's side, I can help answer your question until he checks in again...

The Nesco film stretches very thin and is wonderfully conforming... Harvey actually did cover the top (cut portion) of the rootstock with the film. He also wraps it around the base of the scion at the same time to seal the openings between the scion and the rootstock. As long as your initial wrap is at least partially over-lapped by the subsequent lap, and it is done snuggly, there will be enough tension to hold the film in place. Blue

• HarveyC
                      HarveyC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry for being late to the party, like Blue says, it's been a bit crazy with regular chores plus being Mr. Mom for a few days and attending high school graduation meeting, picking up another load of Pro-Mix HP on clearance at Home Depot, etc.

The rootstock top and side is wrapped all the way down to the lowest point of the graft union. Nescofilm and Parafilm sticks to itself well. I believe it's a product made out of plastic and wax and the wax gives it some stickiness so I've found the need to do anything other than press it down on the lower layer.

Thanks,

Harvey

If you haven't subscribed to my Youtube channel but would like to, try this link:
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFP...confirmation=1

Another video was posted this morning and I mention a dear friend in it, but you'll need to watch it to find out who! LOL

Comment

Thank you for all the tutorail harvey.. appreciated your afford.
                      My wish list is what ever come from my dear friend is the most special fig no matter what the vatiety is. I wish my dear friend to stay well always and always be happy. Jonathan

Comment

Hi Harvey,

for the modified bark graft, whip and tongue and cleft grafts Does the scion have to be dormant? Can the root stock be out of dormancy and the scion from an actively growing fig tree?

Comment

• HarveyC
                          HarveyC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wills told me the other day that Hershell thinks the scions need to be dormant but I don't believe that is necessary. As long as their are dormant buds and leaves/petioles are removed, all 3 types of grafts should work fine. I've done such grafts with white sapote, citrus, and avocado and they have worked well.

I think the scion should be at least semi-hardwood, however.
                      Working...
                      X