X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Timber Bamboo

Anyone growing largish caliber cold Hardy bamboo? Any problems keeping it from spreading?
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

No problems at all. Lol. I have been trying to kill it for about 3 years and have almost succeeded. Theres no need to plant it, it's like kudzu eventually it will get there. Just my 2.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Hi Frank,

You will not have problems with spreading if you plant clumping Bamboo. You can control running bamboo with a mower as long as you mow frequently enough to nip the young culms pushing up. When a Bamboo pushes up it is as large as it will be in diameter. Older patches push larger stalks. That means that in the case of timber bamboo you may have a six inch culm coming up and they grow quick so diligence is the key. A one week old culm maybe to much for some mowers. Most clumping bamboo is also referred to as tropical bamboo and it is not as cold hardy as I need here in Pensacola. Unfortunately it seems, at least to me, that the more ornamental varieties are clumping and tropical. My sucessfull variety is Alphonse Karr which seems to shrug off the 18 and 19 degree temps we have had. I have three others that have been damaged by those temps. None of them are what I would call timber bamboo with ther biggest only having a three inch diameter and mine are too young to have those yet.
      Last edited by Darkman; 03-06-2015, 10:22 AM.
      Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Thanks guys. I will have to investigate Karr.
        2-3 inch diameter sounds good enough. I have always liked the look of clumps of bamboo.
        Frank Tallahasee 8B
        North Florida Figs

Comment

Around here in St Louis they either grow it in large pots above or below ground or they put a concrete barrier up, or they utilize natural barriers. I just searched on the net these words and there was all sorts of information. "Keeping bamboo from spreading"
          Art
          St Louis County, MO Z6B

Comment

I've grown clumping and a lawn mower kept in check.
            NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Working...
            X