X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corky's Honey Delight Fig

I stopped by one local nursery in Vancouver, B. C yesterday and the owner that I know well was highly recommended that I should buy this Corky's Honey Delight. he said this variety is a semi-dwarf notable and suitable to plant in pot. Does anyone know about this variety or tried before ?

Hmmm... sounds very interesting.

According to the following write up this fig variety has many attributes that growers in the NE would like:

"A semi-dwarf notable for its vigorous habit and bountiful fruit, yielding two crops of succulent green figs each year. Sweet, amber-colored flesh with a flavorful honey note. Thrives in mild coastal areas and warm humid areas, but often hardy and prolific in zones 5 and 6 as well, if planted in a sheltered location. Deciduous"
    This fig variety supposedly has a very heavy breba crop.
    Last edited by smithmal; 04-11-2016, 09:44 AM.
    Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

Here's another write up given by the nephew of the man the tree was named after:
      Uncle Corky's Honey Delight
      Additional Information
      Found in the back yard of Grandma Andersen's home in the Midway district in the early forties, my Uncle Corky (the late Lawrence Andersen) soon began propagating this wonderful fig by making cuttings for the rest of the Andersen family.

Occasionally Corky would bring a few of his trees into the Rosecrans St. nursery to sell. They'd be gone in a flash! People loved the figs!

The fig trees grew and produced two crops a year, usually in June and again in late summer, in late August or September. The flesh, amber in color, is sweet and succulent with a back- note of honey flavoring. The skin is a succulent greenish color [often referred to as white as opposed to the black-skinned varieties].

Many of these Uncle Corky's Figs, as we used to call them, or Corky's Figs flourish in the Point Loma area and now we have trade-marked them and they are available for everyone. The tree grows fairly fast and, in good soil, does very well along the coast as well as all other areas.

In its current incarnation, you will never be disappointed in the little fig tree that could could...it's now all grown up into the Corky's Honey Delight Fig, the name is an homage to both our beloved Uncle Corky and the wonderful flavor of the fig produced by this great tree. This is one great fig and will convert even seriously non-fig-loving folks! Try it and you'll never eat any other fig!

Enjoy!

From a sign at Walter Andersen Nursery, Point Loma, San Diego, California
      Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

Discussion here about whether or not this fig needs the wasp to mature it's figs:
        https://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox...orkeys-7038919

Comment

Hi smithmal, thank you very much for your informations and I really appreciate it very much. I might go back and have a look again to see how nice it is.

Comment

Pacifica,

You're welcome. The pick'ns for a good honey fig variety are slim compared to the "honey" fig category so I'm quite interested to hear more feedback from individuals that actually own this fig (especially in the NE US).

Right now, my top three honey fig varieties are:
            1. Brooklyn White
            2. Lattarulla (Italian Honey)
            3. LSU Gold
            4. Marylane Seedless
            5. Atreano

Comment

I bought one of these at Lowe's this year because it looked so great. 3 figs sitting on it right now. Lots of growth in just the last two weeks.

Comment

• smithmal
                smithmal commented
                Editing a comment
                Chadspur,

Which Lowes (i.e. location) did you obtain this fig variety from?

• chadspur
                chadspur commented
                Editing a comment
                Smithmal,

It was bought at a Lowe's in Garland, Texas.

To smithmal : Do you mean Lattarulla also known as Italian Honey ? I bought an Italian Honey from some one last July planted in pot. I started moving outside from the garage a few hours a day then move back. I compared the leaves between the two and they are really not the same unless the guy that I bought from him last July gave me the wrong name. Besides, Lattarulla is much more expensive than Italian Honey

Comment

Re post#6 -- for my zone out of the 5 variants mentioned, only one variant is reliable and that is Latarrula. All others
              I may get a dozen or less figs. That said, the more promising one for honey like flavor in my zone is LSU Jack Lily.

Comment

• smithmal
                smithmal commented
                Editing a comment
                Paully,

Have you grown Brooklyn White? I've been told that BW is quite productive, flavorful and does well in colder zones.

• TahomaGuy2
                TahomaGuy2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree. Lattarulla only.

If it's the Uncle Corky's with the Monrovia tag. It's a really good tasting fig, and ripen easily. I don't have much heat in Summer here, so I care a-lot about the ability to ripen in cool climate.

Comment

• TahomaGuy2
                TahomaGuy2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Just in the last couple years I've seen Uncle Corky's being sold alongside old traditional varieties (i.e. Lattarulla, Desert King and Brown Turkey). Thus, I assume it's a cool weather keeper! We'll see!!

Uncle Corky's sounds good, Jonathan.
              Last edited by blee; 02-24-2019, 08:43 PM.
              Zone 10B, San Francisco
              Growing: Brown Turkey, VdB, Rdb, Negronne, Adriatic JH, Desert King, Bourjasotte Grise, I-258, GN AF, Longue D'Aoute, Smith

Comment

Has this uncle corkys ever been identified or is it a variety all of its own? Just another synonym someone made up for their unknown fig?
                Actively seeking any and all varieties
                #Sharing is caring
                Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

If anyone has pics of the main crop I would love to see them. I believe one of my unknowns might be this fig and the main is odd looking but tasty
                  Actively seeking any and all varieties
                  #Sharing is caring
                  Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

I want to add a potted honey fig to my small collection. Any recommendations for prolific growing tasty ones?
                    Travis - Cincinnati OH. Zone 6
                    wishlist- zaffiro, figoin, cddb,

Comment

Have lots of "Honey" figs[white genoa,kadota,sarizabec,lagrimas,garnsey white,sucrete,holy smokes,honey plumb,golden rainbow,LA#3,el molino,etc.etc. UNCLE CORKIES the best caprified or not !
                      Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• Fig Gazer
                        Fig Gazer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Got mine thru a local nersery they got it from Monrovia,do not know if i would call it" semi dwarf"15 gallon ,maybe 2-3 years old when i bought it,put dirrectly in ground,grew about4-5 feet this first in ground year with a nice main crop and 10 breba .maybe 8-9 foot total nice single standard vase shaped tree .Not pruning ,expect it to be prety big tree in a couple more years !!!
                    Working...
                    X