Clear All

• Alias' of the Lemon Fig

According to this website, Lemon is AKA:
    1. Italian Honey
    2. White Marseilles
    3. Blanche
    4. Lattarula
    5. Heritage
    Is this true? I have a Lemon, but I have never heard it called anything else other than Blanche.
    Last edited by smithmal; 04-11-2016, 01:36 PM.
    Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

I don't have any first hand experience with them but some say they are different. Here is a thread that discusses a little: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....pid=1279818690 I've heard that it can be productive but not the best for fresh eating. Perhaps good for preserves.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Thanks Don.

I bumped that thread and asked a couple more questions.

Would seem as though:

1. The only alias to Lemon may be Blanche and Lattarulla (Italian Honey) and White Marseilles are different fig varieties
      2. Taste from the Lemon fig are bland/watery during the first couple years of growth but mature/improve over time to a yummy butterscotch/honey type flavor

I'll report back here if/when I obtain additional information.
      Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

Lemon aka Blanche is not Marseilles (White) aka Lattarula aka Italian Honey. A couple of honey figs but Lemon (mine at least) is bigger, lighter, and as such more lemony than Marseilles. It has got to have other synonyms though beside Blanche.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.
        Tony WV 6b
        https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• mountainfigs
          mountainfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Lemon is also known as Blanche. What else, I don't know. I think mine is in its third or fourth leaf. For me it's a bigger, later fig so maybe not the best for short seasons. While a vigorous grower, it has not been very productive. This year I'll pull back on the fertilizer and see if that helps. Seems to be setting a number of brebas this year, looking to see what it can do with those. Seems to be a strong tree so I have good hopes for it. In my experience, the taste of a fig depends as much on how much water and feeding it is getting as on how old the tree is. Of course most people want young trees to be rapidly growing, and so feed and water heavily. Well, no surprise then if the fruit is bland ... too much water and/or limb growth. It's a biggish fig for me and those tend to be more difficult to sweeten up, so it hasn't been the sweetest but flavorful nevertheless. Brooklyn White and Marseilles (White) have been easier light figs for me. Also Champagne. But if I successfully slow the growth of this lemon fig tree maybe it will be more productive and more sweet, wouldn't be surprised. Will see.

• smithmal
          smithmal commented
          Editing a comment
          Tony, thanks for the feedback. Any idea how many gallons of water per week is a good amount to give to fig trees so that figs don't becomes watery? I'm planning on putting a dripper on mine, so I should be able to dial in the amount per day/week quite easily.

• mountainfigs
          mountainfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know because I haven't grown this Lemon fig, or most trees, strictly in pots. I drill holes in my pots and embed into ground, so the roots are always taking whatever they want from the ground. This year I'm strongly considering not embedding the Lemon fig, or at least not as much. I could speculate but anyone could. I guess I would try to keep the tree as "light in pot" as possible when the figs are in the final reaches of ripening.

If this is the fig being discussed here I would like to have it in plant form.

'Lemon' is a fig variety that was found growing on the banks of a levee near DelRio, Texas. It has an attractive yellow skin with a creamy, smooth flesh and aclosed eye. ' Lemon' has a unique flavor with mild citrus notes. It has produced well in Fredericksburg and San Antonio and is suggested for trial plantings on the southern half of the state. 'Lemon' is somewhat cold tender, but produces moderate crops on new growth in years winter freezes kill it to the ground.
        Last edited by jmaler; 04-12-2016, 12:28 PM.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Not to muddy the water but there are at least 2 lemon figs I am aware of and probably a lot more.
          Not sure who is to say which is or whether there is an official “Lemon fig”.
          Same case with many similar figs with the same name.
          Maybe the lemon fig in this thread should be called “Lemon DelRio”? Has a nice ring to it
          Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
          Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
          Canada Fig Growers

Comment

• smithmal
            smithmal commented
            Editing a comment
            Pino,

Do you have any information on other figs that are noted as the "Lemon Fig?" I'd be very interested.
        Working...
        X