X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT What do you do for a living?

I thought it would be interesting to see what type of skills are among us. I know there are some members with really neat backgrounds. If you care to share, what do you, or what did you do for a living?
    I work for a huge retailer as an IT administrator. PCs, networks, etc.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Great question Frank! I often wonder about what my figgy friends do for a living outside of growing out our cuttings & caring for our trees (is there really any time for anything else? Lol). I am a graduate student of social work, mom of 3, and next August I will begin work at partial care hospital for High School kids
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awesome, Jamie! Good luck with the new adventure.

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      You're going to be great at that--those are some lucky kids!

I'm a field manager for an international company that provides risk mitigation audits to the wholesale financing industry.

Looking at that sentence...well, it looks like a bunch of corporate-speak. Let's try this again...this time in words that don't sound like a blinkin' lawyer....

I manage 16 field associates across Maryland, Virginia, Tennessee, and eastern Tennessee. They perform physical audits of inventory (big-ticket items like automobiles, trucks, boats, heavy equipment, etc) for our clients (various banks and finance companies) and I am responsible for building their schedules and making sure everything is done to the company's quality standards. I'm usually either stuck in front of a computer or traveling to visit my team and help with problems that come up.

As far as skills.... From work there's people management, logistics, negotiation, customer service/client satisfaction, communications, problem solving... From experience there's woodworking, construction, leather tooling and working, hunting, ham radio (KK4QQH--General license), general firearms maintenance, hiking safety and wilderness survival.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      You do it all, man. If you find some time this summer, we'll meet up again and I will see if I can add more varieties to your fig collection.

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a plan!

I work for a medical school--I do faculty contracts and promotion support and academic research. I like to write mostly about the physician shortage and workforce issues in medicine. On the side, I bake for my friend's restaurant, just grab-and-go desserts. In 2009 I took a year off to be a baker and did farmers' markets. Had to get back to my "day job" though, it didn't quite pay the bills.
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Very neat, Sarina. It's fun to take a risk sometimes.

Retired real estate developer
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Day job: horticulturist. Hobby: horticulturist.

Hm...
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! Kelby you are living the dream! That's awesome

• SarinaP
        SarinaP commented
        Editing a comment
        Lucky duck!

• Sarahkt
        Sarahkt commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha that's great! And dream job: horticulturalist?

Worked for over 45 years as a produce manager in a major north east supermarket, Stop & Shop. Retired, living the dream and not missing work at all. My biggest problem right now is keeping my wife,of 45 years, happy and smiling. With my fig addiction, not always an easy thing to do.
      Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

I grew up in a rural area north of Houston. I worked on my uncles' dairy throuhout high school. I graduated from the University of Houston with an emphasis in finance and accounting. I worked in a mom and pop hardware store for six years in my early twenties. Next I spent 18 years working for two rice mills, Comet Rice Mills and P&S Rice Mills, in their accounting departments converting their manual accounting systems to computerized systems. The next 18 years were spent working for the State of Texas Attorney Generals Office in the budget division as a budget analyst, once again involved in the conversion of a manual accounting and budget system to a computerized system.

I have been retired for ten years doing what I love, puttering around 30 acres keeping in touch with nature, which for me involves cutting and chipping cedar, gardening, currently growing fig trees, fishing (not as much as in past), hunting deer for smoked and fresh sausage and snack sticks and cooking. I am by myself so I have to like cooking, right? Oh and then there is Netflix.

I almost forgot there are my three barn cats, two house cats (the love of my life) and Jackie the Jack Russell.

Also, there are the 2002 Chevy pickup, two tractors, a wood chipper, two tillers, a riding lawn tractor and a golf cart that always seem to need tinkering with to keep them all going. It seems like I am always buying fuel and batteries.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

I am a film technician, a Key Grip, and work as part of the camera and lighting crew on TV commercials,movies, television, music videos, and live concerts. I also work as a dolly grip on many popular TV shows
          Last edited by Coop; 04-12-2016, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Greenguy
            Greenguy commented
            Editing a comment
            What is a dolly grip

• Coop
            Coop commented
            Editing a comment
            The dolly grip operates the camera dolly or crane arm and along with the camera operator they execute the shot being filmed

• Coop
            Coop commented
            Editing a comment
            Some of the current shows I work on are The Good Wife, Orange Is The New Black, Madam Secretary, Vinyl, Divorce, The Blacklist, Power among others. Ive also done over a hundred music videos and live concerts and maybe 500 or more TV commercials
            Last edited by Coop; 04-13-2016, 10:08 AM.

Man, I knew you all had some cool jobs. Thanks for sharing!
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Not a real fun or exciting job (i work with computers) but my other hobbies are more interesting.

I'm a weekend DIYer and my wife and I have almost completely redone everything in our 60+ year old house: gutted two bathrooms, replaced all the windows (frames, trim and all), replaced countertop and floor in kitchen, replaced the siding on 3 sides of the house, put in a patio and lean-to greenhouse, ...

My wife and I usually do one major project a year.

I'm also doing some "volunteering" at a Bonsai nursery once a month to help with their classes. I'm hoping to make a bonsai fig fruit one day
            Last edited by fitzski; 04-12-2016, 11:31 AM.
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I am a Senior Business Analyst for a IT Company that builds Healthcare software for major health insurance carriers across the country. Generally my role is leading new client implementations for some of our products from beginning to end. Its not a glamorous job, but i enjoy it and it pays the bills. I've been at my current job for 5 years now, the job before was at Medicare Health Insurance Company here in NYC and that was for 5 years right out of college.

My goal is to build my own startup....
              May the Figs be with you!
              ​​​​​

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
                BrooklynMatty commented
                Editing a comment
                South shore, 10 minutes away from long beach.

• Harborseal
                Harborseal commented
                Editing a comment
                That's near where I grew up. I was in Plainedge, Nassau County.

• BrooklynMatty
                BrooklynMatty commented
                Editing a comment
                very cool bob, not too far. why did you move?

I am a crane operator/crew foreman in the oil field in south Louisiana (port fourchon). We load supply vessels and crew boats with every thing the offshore drilling rigs need. I went in the army for 3 yrs right out of high school in the mid to late 90's and I've been in the oil field one way or another ever since.
              Last edited by quackmaster; 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM.
              Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Mortgage Loan Officer. Basically origination sales, specializing in purchase loans, only because they are more rewarding than the refinance only industry. crazy as it is, it's easier generation wise to give someone a mortgage that didn't have one, than it is to save someone a whole bunch on mortgage that they already had.
                Chris NE Philadelphia

Comment

I am a Horticulturalist.
                  I have worked with plants for 30 years. I moved from England in 2000 and am very proud to live in America.

While in England I ran my own garden design and construction business. I designed gardens for The Chelsea Flower Show held in London every May. I have participated in TV and radio. Through a chance encounter I was recruited to lecture on a range of adventure cruise ships. As expedition staff I have traveled to 55 countries to share the horticultural delights of the region to the 80 -100 passengers on the ship. Japan, New Zealand, Greenland, Argentina, and even Antarctica.

2 years ago I got Lyme disease and was really turned off by horticulture. Figs and this forum have brought me back.

When not digging in the dirt I love to sail.
                  Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

• ross
                    ross commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very interesting, Ian. Glad to see you back in the world of horticulture.

I am English teacher 😳🤔
                  Last edited by Taverna78; 04-12-2016, 10:43 AM.
                  Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                  1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                  2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• DBJohnson
                    DBJohnson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dude...you owe me for the scotch that just ejected through my nose..... Too funny, but it caught me as I was drinking some 24 year old single malt. That, sir, is a crime.

• greenfig
                    greenfig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tis is too funny!

• growcrazie
                    growcrazie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thanks for the morning laugh

Cool topic! It is really interesting to hear what people are up to when they're not obsessing over their figs (or multi-tasking while they are).

I'm finishing up grad school (chemical biology & systems bio) and also involved in a couple hands-off but medically relevant side things, project management for a clinical research study and working part-time at a consulting firm that does oncology landscape analysis for biopharma companies developing cancer therapies. Both have been really interesting to me and useful in helping me to figure out what I want to do next, which is helping to contribute to cancer research in some way -- while not doing any (more) bench work myself! The plan is to join the latter full-time as soon as I am free of grad school, which hopefully won't be dragged out too much longer (fingers crossed).
                  Last edited by Sarahkt; 04-12-2016, 01:37 PM. Reason: typos
                  Sarah
                  Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• Rewton
                    Rewton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sarah, looks like we work in the same general area - see post #20 - but I'm about 25 years ahead of you!

• F. Bennett
                    F. Bennett commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sarah. Lung, breast, colon, etc. I don't know any details beyond that.

• Sarahkt
                    Sarahkt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steve, small world! I'll be at AACR, would be great to see a fellow fig enthusiast there!

Unemployed recycle truck operator since December. Working on getting more endorsements for my license, and trying to make money with my plant hobby, selling host and nectar plants for butterflies.
                  Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good luck! If you want some mountain mint (Pycnanthemum muticum), let me know. Blooms forever, native, everything likes it.

Chiropractor, likely obvious from my forum handle. I'm retiring at the end of April (bittersweet, mostly sweet). Maybe a handle change is in order. I'll be going Wills on my own property, DIYing all sorts of projects that I've planned in my head and occasionally on paper, but never had the time for while working. I doubt I'll manage the same level of self-mutilation, however. I'll also take care of the small professional office building my wife and I own (do more of the maintenance work we now contract out) and take better care of my wife (dentist) shouldering more of the cooking and cleaning (love the former, barely tolerate the latter) until she retires in another four years and we start doing the fun stuff retirees are supposed to do.
                  Neil
                  Reno, 6b

Comment

I work at a large biomedical research organization. A major mission of the organization is to fund promising research being done mainly at academic institutions but to a lesser extent in the private sector. My job is to oversee a portfolio of grants to investigators working to find cures for hematological cancers - myeloma, leukemia and lymphoma. Earlier in my career I was a university professor and was engaged in teaching and research in cell and molecular biology. My current job is strictly office work and meetings. I no longer do bench research and figured out a few years ago that I really miss working with my hands, nurturing something and producing some sort of physical/tangible product. That's where hobbies like gardening come in.
                    Last edited by Rewton; 04-12-2016, 03:27 PM.
                    Steve
                    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• GregMartin
                      GregMartin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Rewton, would love to chat with you about what you're seeing regarding HSC therapies and how in-vitro expansion is coming along.

• m5allen
                      m5allen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thumbs up, that is a noble profession.

United Methodist Minister, hearing impaired retired, after 36.5 years of pastoring churches in eastern North Carolina. I relocated one church, oversaw two church three million dollar plus building programs. Early on I was the urban associate minister on staff of a large downtown Durham. NC church. Now I plant and watch God's creation take root and take off. Being a part of the growth of people and plants is so rewarding - for a 61 year old new grandpa. Cheers to this thread maker!

Comment

I am a professional nag.

I nag people all day to watch their weight, to exercise, to eat less junk and more healthy food. I nag many of them to stop smoking. Or to drink less alcohol. I nag them to take their meds. I nag them to get the needed tests done to monitor their diseases. I nag them to get preventive tests done to screen for diseases that will kill them if undetected.

I'm a family physician. Wish I did not have to nag.

I have worked most of my career in small towns in PA, have worked in the past in NC for 3 years, and a year on a Native American reservation in AZ. Have done short term medical mission trips in Mexico and Alaska.

Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• WillsC
                        WillsC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        lol

• eboone
                        eboone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I thought I posted this response earlier but don't see it...
                        I hope my patients look at it as "encouragement" rather than "nagging" - it works better that way. Unfortunately my employer is a little unhappy that I spend so much time with patients, they would rather I get more visits in...

• cjmach1973
                        cjmach1973 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        production, production

My daughter was born at 1lb 6oz and spent her first year in the hospital. So I'm a stay at home dad that takes care of all of her needs. She has a trach and feeding tube so it's a full time job. She is a miracle and I love my job. It's alot of work because she is just over two. That means she is the sweetest meanest lil thang you ever seen. When we was in the hospital they did a video of her. If you type in ( Autymn BPD) on youtube it will bring it up. Best job I've ever had. It's the reason I started buying all kinds of different fruit. So we could blend it up for her. Thanks to all the wonderful forum members here in a few years we should have alot of fruit to preserve. Thanks to this forum which I have meet some wonderful friends that I would love to meet in person someday. Thanks
                      Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

• Erick
                        Erick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Art,
                        It's been an amazing two and a half years. We help raise money for the hospital that saved her life and the Ronald McDonald house. I could not tell you how many people we have helped get there loved one moved to the place that could help them most. It does take a team. Autymn is so strong and has came along way. She is a joy and the light of our life. Thanks Art

• BrooklynMatty
                        BrooklynMatty commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I commend you on doing the best job in the world, taking care of your daughter. Thats such a heart warming story, hope she is well and enjoys many fig smoothies this summer. My daughter is turning two, so i understand the sweetest meanest lil thang She's my life.

• Erick
                        Erick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you.

Retired from the aviation industry. Also retired from aviation security through the FAA.

I also have an interest in the cancer research field as I am a two time cancer survivor of two different types.
                      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

You all have very impressive backgrounds. I'm honored to be around such good company.
                        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Working...
                        X