X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How quickly (the collection) they grow.

I got my first fig plant 14 months ago.

Yesterday I counted how many figs I was watering. I lost track after 180...

That's what can happen when you and your spouse both get bitten by the fig bug!

How quickly did ( or is) your collection grow(ing)?
    Last edited by ThaiFigs; 04-12-2016, 05:19 PM.

Just added three more types of cuttings, and 6 new rooted plants to the collection in that past 10 days.
    Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

• ThaiFigs
      ThaiFigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a typical month or more a once a year thing? How long have you been growing figs? How many are you up to now?

• cjmach1973
      cjmach1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's more of a money thing. I set limits based on what I sell,(money wise) that is what I can buy. Now that I am selling more of my perennial flowers, it gives me more to spend on figs. 26 types in house right now. Forgot one-27
      Last edited by cjmach1973; 04-13-2016, 08:54 AM.

Im ashamed to admit this.. I ate my first fig (non fig newton) in October of last year. Tried a Peters Honey, then a Brown Turkey, then a Black Mission. In late October I got my first cuttings in the mail, found a local tree to get cuttings from and started growing a collection since. I went from never having tasted a fig before Mid October to today (<6 months later) I have 150 1 gallon+ trees, 60+ in solo cups and maybe 300+ cuttings rooting currently. I think there are 74 varieties so far, just waiting to see what shakes out of the bins as successful to know for sure. So 6 months, 74 varieties and potentially 500 trees. Yikes, does it stop?
    2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

• Pino
      Pino commented
      Editing a comment
      Lou,
      You are caught in a trap and you can't get out.
      What are you going to do in 2 years when those figs are demanding 150 (15 Gal) pots, 60 (5 gal) pots and 300 1 gal pots. Where are you going to putt them. Where are you going to run to when your wife figures this out..

• LouNeo
      LouNeo commented
      Editing a comment
      hahaha so far shes been supportive. My plan is to sell a bunch of them I think. Otherwise everyone in my neighborhood is going to have free fig trees. I think I mentioned it but im &quot;renting&quot; a house so its not even my property to be able to put a lot of trees on.

I got my first Fig tree which was a Panache from good ol HarveyC off of eBay on May 29,15. It was easily over a 100 degrees in Phoenix,so there was no Spring growth. Now I have over 20 fig varieties and trees a year or older. By experience I know airlayer are a heck easier than Cuttings. Im pretty much happy with my collection. I love the striped,green and only the flavorable dark ones. I'm starting to diversify into mulberries,blackberry,lychees and one blood orange tree.
    WL:1-Bass'FavFig 2-KaryasPrasina3ParatjalRimada
    4-CDDPintada 5-Adriano's yellow w/red stripes
    6-Luv aka Wolf,I'm really dreaming.

Comment

• ThaiFigs
      ThaiFigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't get me started on the mulberries, sapodillas, pomelos, mangos, finger limes, rambutan or marian plums that keep appearing on the periphery of our fig garden... Or even the odd apple tree...

I hope I am over the collection growing part, working really hard on shrinking it. My goal is 20 and no more, which means I have 100 more to go
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• LouNeo
      LouNeo commented
      Editing a comment
      I honestly look forward to getting to the shrinking part. Until then I gotta grow everything til I figure out what I like right?

• greenfig
      greenfig commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeap! For me it took about 2 years to taste the figs, separate obviously not desirable from ok and very good. Along the way, I had many duplicates but gave away many too. I would like to leave he clearly different tasty figs with some spares of the favorites.

• ThaiFigs
      ThaiFigs commented
      Editing a comment
      varieties, or trees in total?

175 and counting

I have a few stages I plan for the collection:

1. Collect
    2. Remove the synonyms and redundant plants
    3. Then keep only the most productive and ones that do well here in Seattle - hopefully that will shrink it down to 25 varieties. I only want to keep a couple dozen rare ones to shuffle.

http://seattlegardenfruit.blogspot.c...ollection.html
    Ben B.
    Seattle, WA

http://seattlegardenfruit.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Maybe we should start a support group?

Comment

Sadly... this IS the support group
        2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

Lou you are right, this is it. But wouldn't that be like having an AA meeting at a bar ?

Comment

• LouNeo
            LouNeo commented
            Editing a comment
            At least we have each other.
        Working...
        X