X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's 2015 "hot" variants ??

Used to be RdB, Genovese Nero, JH Adriatic, Red Lebanese(Bass), MBVS, Blk Ischia but what is for 2015 ?? I can think of I258, Galicia ?.....

Rimadas.......$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Dal'Osso, apparently
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Zidi, Inchario Preto for CA
        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Zidi needs the wasp. Sometimes you'll get fruit without it, but it tends to be not as rich. Without the wasp, it is unreliable.
          SoCal, zone 10.
          www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            Both I mentioned need the wasp. That is why I mentioned the state of CA

Paully , I think you made Grantham's Royal a new hot variety !

Maltese Beauty might be considered "hot".
          Kerry - NH zone 5
          Wish list - Del Sen Jaume Gran , Angelito ,Thermalito , Exquisito , Campaniere, Teramo , White Madeira #1 .

Comment

• Kelby
            Kelby commented
            Editing a comment
            I was just coming to say Grantham's Royal!

About that Grantham...

It is synonymous with Dauphine, which I have heard of before. But I've never heard of this Grantham's Royal until like 6 months ago.

Did that Dawnton Abbey show have anything to do with this?
          RI Zone 6a
          Container Herder

Comment

• Kelby
            Kelby commented
            Editing a comment
            My notes:"San Pedro type, ripens slightly later than Desert King. Large (tennis ball sized), purple fruit, good flavor. Brebas can survive 16* F without protection.   ""Grantham's Royal is supposedly a clone of Royal Vineyard at the Grantham family's home.  To boot, Royal Vineyard is also aka Drap D'Or. Drap d'Or (""drip of gold"") seems to be a common term used for several figs, translated various ways in central European languages including Drop of Gold, Drip of Gold, Drop of Honey, etc."" OR it might be the same as Dauphine.
            "

For those of you who do not have the Pastilliere, get one. And for those who do have it but are tired of it dropping its' fruit. Be patient!
          IMO, this fig will only get better and better with age.
          Glad I have one.

***Please do not confuse this fig with the "Unknown Pastilliere", totally different fig.

Comment

• PasturedFigs
            PasturedFigs commented
            Editing a comment
            http://www.planetfig.com/cultivars/fcveng8586.html

AKA Hirta du Japon / Rouge de Bordeaux

Funny this fig has so much history - yet everybody says it drops 'em! Caprification has effect on keeping fruit on it? Interesting pick.

• Rafed
            Rafed commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, it does drops its' fruit but only for the first two or three years. Could be more or less in some cases but regardless, I think it is well worth the wait. And for those who have the wasp then it's a sure winner.
            I did not taste mine till last season and this was after three years.
            This cultivar is a very healthy one too. Dark green, thick and robust leaves.

• figgary
            figgary commented
            Editing a comment
            I got my Pastilliere last year from Raintree Nursery. I'm not sure how old it was, not more than 2 I'd guess. It set and ripened several main crop figs in September, although a few dropped. They were excellent tasting, and the tree grew a lot. I agree with Rafed, it is one to have. Also, I do not have the wasp, yet.

I need to research previous Hot varieties. I am very satisfied rooting RDB and JH Adriatic at a discount this year. I guess I'll be rooting Galicia Negra in 2017 as long as the reviews remain positive.
          Brian
          Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

• Gina
            Gina commented
            Editing a comment
            Have there been any reviews of Galicia Negra's taste?

• Yeehova
            Yeehova commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know. It just seems to be one of the hot varieties right now

No kidding, Granthams Royal is a 1st class breba fig. Far superior in taste over Desert King. My friend who has much more
          knowledge re figs sampled a few at my place and he said the same thing re GR as superior in taste over DK. I hope to graft
          some DK branches with GR. A must have variant for my zone. I have a Dauphine growing next to my GR -- hopefully I get to
          have some figs to compare. My Dauphine had issues with die backs for at least 3 seasons. Its well protected for winter and 3 yrs
          ago I was very please with its main crop productivity

Comment

• PasturedFigs
            PasturedFigs commented
            Editing a comment
            That'd be an interesting comparison. Would definitely like to see when you get your fruits. Thanks for the update on GR.

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            With the wasp, no fruit drop on either, a regular Pastilliere and an Unknown . Both are excellent with Unk. being better.

• Rob Ster 010
            Rob Ster 010 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am growing Baud's Dauphine as well. It got some breba's on this year so hopefully i can post some pics soon to compare it to the G.R.

Rafed last year when I was deciding on cuttings from Jon, I noticed there were about 10 or so different versions of Pastilliere ... or maybe I have it mixed it up.

Comment

any update on the Galicia Negra? I have seen many sold on ebay and was wondering if anyone tasted one yet.
            Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
            Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

A GN just sold for less than $200 for the first time. The star is already declining.
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Americanfiglover, as for the Galicia Negra I have had two plants of this variety and neither survived the last
                two summers so I am done with this one.
                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanFigLover View Post
                  any update on the Galicia Negra? I have seen many sold on ebay and was wondering if anyone tasted one yet.
                  The only person I've read so far who has tasted it is Bass, the source, and he says its taste is excellent, which is rather vague. Everyone else is bidding on it, selling it, just bought it, or trying to propagate it. Is it just another pretty picture or does it have a flavor? Maybe some day someone with actually get around to eating one and telling us what it tastes like.
                  Last edited by Altadena Mara; 06-08-2015, 05:13 PM.
                  Mara, Southern California,
                  Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

for me its this one... will talk more about it if and when it fruits
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                    andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

The one that I've been waiting on price drops is Souadi. I've been obsessed with that since the first time I laid eyes on it.

Comment

Souadi does look wonderful. Too expensive for me.
                        Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
                        Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

Originally posted by Rafed View Post
                          For those of you who do not have the Pastilliere, get one. And for those who do have it but are tired of it dropping its' fruit. Be patient!
                          IMO, this fig will only get better and better with age.
                          Glad I have one.

***Please do not confuse this fig with the "Unknown Pastilliere", totally different fig.
                          This was exactly the scenario with my Pastilliere. Well after several years of not producing and or dropping it’s fruit, I managed to taste my first fig this season. After believing that I had the wrong tree and ready to give up, my tree was finally ready to produce an edible fig. Unfortunately it’s still sitting in a five gallon container, but this one is on the schedule for repotting ASAP.
                          The flavor: After some heavy rains, I thought that I was eating a plumb. It definitely has a different flavor than what I expected from a fig.

Attached Files
                          Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

Working...
                          X