X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espalier Method?

I've seen this on the web and I have long but not so tall greenhouse i would like to use and this method seems perfect for this. But is this a special tree or can any fig be trained to grow this way with proper pruning and positioning? I know this will take a long time to grow but looks really different
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I think those espaliered figs are marvelous.

If you haven't seen this slide show, give yourself a treat.

http://www.hawaiifruit.net/japanfigr...ita%20san.html
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Any fig can be trained to that shape. to answer your question
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Figs are very flexible. Wills had his whole VdB step over documented on F4F - http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1284368807
        Phil
        Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

You can manipulate the soft green growth into most any shape or direction you want on any tree or plant. Once the growth lignifies, it will stay in the new position for life.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Wonderful I would like to manipulate my tree into its own greenhouse so I do not have to buy one ahahah!

Comment

That would be awesome!!!!

Now that being said, awhile back I drew plans to build a pavilion with Northern Sugar Maple saplings. Once they grow in, it will make a great place for summer get togethers, have picnic tables and a grill inside a 40' diameter 14' tall living dome. Call me dreamer if you will, I think it will be awesome!
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• drphil69
                drphil69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Way to think big! Why not? I bet it would be fantastic as well as unique.

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                And a marvel for many for years.

I have plan was going to make seperate post for dis. you tell me and I will make post but do not want to post every little thing and annoy people but in Italia we have "orchard grow picnic table" is a wooden picnic table extrawide and the center is cut out with a rack under the hole that holds potted fig trees so we sit at table at harvest time drink vino and eat fresh fig off the tree. The other style grow table is of one that is a normal picnic table with a big hole in the middle and one side hinges together so it opens like clamshell for the bigger trees that are taller then potted trees.

Comment

Sounds great! !! Please, please post some pics of both.

Comment

For now all I have is drawing I wait till spring to build. But is same blue print as normal picnic table but extra wide with hole in middle. I will post picture tomorrow

Comment

Sounds great, i can't wait to see them.

Comment

Mike,

Here is mine.......over 200 feet of growth from each plant this was taken maybe June?

Click image for larger version

Name:	VDB.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	8559
                      Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Will...ok..ok... Why you do this to me!!! You say in the forum 7 commandments yourself "as a warning to myself because the last thing in this world I want is to become another "forum dictator"," I Think you would be a perfect dictator like Hittler! for torturing me the way you have been! Is ok sooner or later I'll get ya back!! AHAHAHA! That is one amazing tree youve developed!! What kind is it?

Comment

Mike,

It is VDB. There are 5 of them around the pool cage (2 sides) and 1 JH Adriatic.
                          Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

That looks nice!
                            I want to try similar except with a very low cordon arm so I can protect it from z6 winters.
                            Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
                            Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
                            Canada Fig Growers

Comment

That is great Wills, I love it. You are really making me want to move to a nicer climate!

Comment

Pino, Great to see you here!!! Welcome!

Comment

Hey will got up this morning and my wilted one dropped most all leafs. I went to pinch off couple rotted ones and the just fell off... BUT there is however 1 new bud At the end of one branch that looks like it wants to open and the other branch still has that healthy looking leaf growing strong! I think she's gonna make it! If she does I'm
                                  Going to plant her like your last picture. She's got the perfect form like a T. Gonna name her Will-anda AHAHAHA!!

Comment

Working...
                                  X