X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite fig dish?

Since we're all sharing with each other I thought a post on what your favorite fig dish/appetizer/drink you might like to share. Mine is
    Balsamic glazed Figs Wrapped with Prosciutto and Topped with Gorgonzola
    Cut the stem off. Slice 1/4 way down wrap with prosciutto first then stuff with cheese. I place in broiler for 3 minutes to brown the cheese a bit but isn't necessary. I'll use Gorgonzola or goat cheese
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Is that a fresh fig or a dried fig? Can't tell from the photo.
    Rafael
    Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Always fresh and juicy!

Comment

I've had figs in lots of prepared dishes, with lots of different recipes. And I like a lot of them. But my favorite is to eat them fresh. If accompanied by a glass of wine and a plate of cheese or other appetizers, that's not a bad ensemble. But for me, the figs themselves are best enjoyed fresh and alone, rather than mixed in to any prepared dish.

I'll add a photo when I get to my other computer. :-)
        Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

Oh man. All these years I thought my favorite was fresh fig on toothpick but now.... I think I will like your a lot more! Maybe with feta cheese on top as a variation also! Thanks for sharing T 78!

Comment

Here's a photo of how I like them. (And like I said, a glass of wine in hand isn't a bad thing to add).
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate 20141002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	8410

Comment

• joann1536
              joann1536 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is beautiful!

• ChillynPhilly
              ChillynPhilly commented
              Editing a comment
              OK now that's just TORTURE lol! But seriously ... can't wait.

Lovely looking plate Mike. And definitely agree with the, wine in hand , also. Varieties?

Comment

Those look incredible this is such a tease I don't know why I did this to myself because I will not see fresh vague in Chicago until August! I have a lot of recipe with fresh figs from Italy

Comment

Michael how you make picture so big?

Comment

T 78 you're so right. This is how I fight of the fig cravings! Not the same but way way better than nothing!
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

My wife buy me this is funny name but very good

Comment

Not my favorite, but very gourmand. Fig Brรปlรฉe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n8430[/ATTACH]
                    Attached Files
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
                    Last edited by FMD; 03-06-2015, 06:09 PM.
                    Frank Tallahasee 8B
                    North Florida Figs

Comment

• joann1536
                      joann1536 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It never occurred to me to put sugar on a fig, but that looks pretty darn good!

• Chrisk
                      Chrisk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great looking figs Frank and a very nice and simple recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Chris -- the varieties are (starting at the top, or the 12 o'clock position) Aubique Petite, Ronde de Bordeaux, Conadria, Salem White. (sequence repeats).

Taverna -- the pictures were made with a Nikon D60 on the 6 Megapixel setting. I used Microsoft Paint to reduce the size to about 30% or 35% of the original size (can't remember which percentage I did). Then to add them to the forum posting, I click on the center icon in the upper right corner of the "new posting" window (It's got an A inside a little box, and is in between the smiley face and some other icon). That opens the "advanced editor". That opens a bunch of editing icons on a bar across the top of the edit window... there's an "image icon" about two thirds of the way across the bar... it looks like a little picture of two mountains with a sun or moon... on my screen it's the tenth one from the right edge, and if you roll your mouse pointer over it, it says "image". I click on that little icon, and it pops up a window for uploading an image. I click the "upload" tab, then the "Choose File" button (at this point you get another window, where you navigate to find your photo file and select the photo you want and click "ok" or whatever that window provides), then the "Send it to the server" button. That places the image file inline in the posting window, wherever you had the cursor (where you were last typing).

OK, I didn't mean to deflect your topic thread to be about the images. But since you asked, I figured I'd describe how I did that. Meanwhile, let's hear from more people about their favorite fig dish!
                    Last edited by MichaelTucson; 03-06-2015, 06:07 PM. Reason: clarified my instructions for Taverna on how I add photos.

Comment

• Chrisk
                      Chrisk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Mike. They all look great!

Frank, those figs in that Fig Brรปlรฉe are pretty large (either that, or else the cook has a very small hand)... what variety is it?

Comment

• FMD
                      FMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mike, they are Atreanos. And no, my hands are quite size- appropriate. )

Thank you for the tip on picture largening! For now only my phone my pc not work correctly but I will do so once I fix it! I love this site!

Comment

Mine is very simple but delicious.

Slice fresh figs in half. Stuff each half with a chunk of Feta or Gorgonzola cheese. Wrap with a thin slice of prosciutto. Place one leaf
                      of fresh rosemary on each half. Drizzle with good olive oil. Pour a glass of your favorite wine, for this I like Riesling.

Enjoy
                      Last edited by newnandawg; 03-06-2015, 06:33 PM. Reason: No pic
                      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Questa รจ bella!

Comment

I find this because I search google image for fresh fig gelato. But only ice cream. In Italia fig gelato is like buying a Big Mac in USA. But some very good recipie here

https://www.toovia.com/lists/8-fresh...make-in-august

Comment

Ok my favorite dish with figs apart from Prosciutto wrapped around figs (I prefer Prosciutto Toscano, which is saltier and has juniper cure, a good foil for sweet figs), is this: i take Calimyrna figs in August and cook them whole in a sugar syrup, just short of blackened. You can add vanilla or lemon juice at different times. Cook slowly for two days. Best dessert in winter, to remind me of the fruits of summer!
                            Rafael
                            Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Fig Dish was also the name of a Chicago rock band back in the 90's. Just a little fig trivia.

Comment

I will stick with plain fresh figs until I have so many I need to find other ways to sneak them into my diet. I hope that time is soon!
                                Phil
                                Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

I may be on same thinking of you once my new cutting grow. I've always has purple and white fig down Italia.

Comment

Let's post pictures of your dish?

Comment

I like them just plain off the tree. But the recipes above sound like they're worth a try! I make some pretty fine cuccidati (fig cookies) at Christmas. Is fig & gorgonzola pizza popular anywhere but here in CA?
                                      USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Joann, you make cuccidati ?!!! Excellent! I will have to visit you. Across the country to CA is a long way, but for homemade cuccidati I hope you will welcome me for a visit when I arrive! Ah, I can almost taste it now...

Comment

Working...
                                        X