X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our good friend in Oroville, CA, needs our help

I read this article this morning in our local paper and quickly contacted Doug Scofield, our ITO, Fig Finder Extraordinaire. He is ok, but his son already lost his home and livelihood, and many of his neighbors have lost their lives and/or are missing. He is spending all of his time helping out the affected people find temporary housing and trying to purchase all of the necessary items to make their lives acceptable given the situation. That is our Doug Bluemalibu! I asked how I could help and this is what he said: “Your help would indeed be a godsend. Anything at all would be so appreciated. I could receive a “friends and family” donation on PayPal at [email protected], or my address here is 16 Grand Ave., Oroville, CA 95965. Today is 9/11, a very somber day in my book. I think we should all try to help as much as we can on this day, especially our friends in need. Please do what you can and help our good friend, Doug Bluemalibu, so he can in turn, help others. Thanks!
    Peter @PBfigs
    PS: Doug would never make this request on this forum. This is entirely my idea and a fairly new member here. If doing this is frown upon, I take all of the responsibility.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fires in Oroville 9-11-20.PNG Views:	8 Size:	585.5 KB ID:	839135
    Last edited by PBfigs; 09-11-2020, 03:28 PM.
    Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, BFF, Osborne Prolific, Zaffiro, Tia Penya, and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Very noble of both of you. I will help.

Comment

• PBfigs
      PBfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!!!

I’m down
    Thanks for doing the leg work and setting it up!
    Round Rock, TX 8b - Free - No mask here!
    See profile for current varietal list
    WL:de la Senyora Hiverneca, São Luis, De la Caseta, Cosme Manyo

Comment

• PBfigs
      PBfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      That was easy. Doug is doing the heavy lifting. Thanks Nate for helping. BTW, your Excel AL container is filling up with roots.

• Halligan-
      Halligan- commented
      Editing a comment
      True, he’s a selfless fella.
      Glad you started the ball rolling. That’s awesome the Excel is doing well, looking forward to it.

I'm currently looking over the inventory to try and find some goodies to auction off for a fundraiser. This is just too close to home for me and I want to help in whatever way that I can.

Thank you for informing the community.
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

Great idea, Eric!!! We all heard what you went through. We had a home here go up in flames in the Cedar Fires on 2003. Thanks for helping again!
      Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, BFF, Osborne Prolific, Zaffiro, Tia Penya, and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Comment

I'm happy to help out a genuinely good person. Thanks for letting us know.
        San Diego County, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• PBfigs
          PBfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, jmart777. Another SD member! Hope the SD members can meet one of these daysafter Covid gets figured out!

• jmart777
          jmart777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to it.

My heart just sank when I read this. Doug has been good to me in the past, and I now welcome the opportunity to be there for him. Thank you for cluing me in!
        Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
        Our annual Cutting Sale will go Live on our webstore in late Nov. or early Dec. We will notify our email list beforehand. To join our Fig email list click here

Comment

• PBfigs
          PBfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks @ 2AngelsIsMushrooms. You are an angel!

Count me in!!

Doug does so much to further our inventory of great figs and I doubt he sell any of the varieties himself to profit from it.

I may get slammd by this but I have big shoulders. If all the people that have profited by Doug's finds could donate a little I know it would mean alot. I know you paid for your plants but its a little finders fee for Doug.
        Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B
        Wishlist:
        Figue Janue, Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

• PBfigs
          PBfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree with you tinyfish! Anyone with an ITO fig tree has already benefited from Doug. I have many times over and I only have two.

Evdurtschi had a fantastic idea with creating auctions to support those in need.

I’ve listed a Blue Celeste that was actually sourced straight from Bluemalibu himself. All proceeds with be donated straight to Doug. Please take a look if you are interested in acquiring a great variety and donating to a good cause. Link is posted below:

https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Detai...utiful-Variety
        Evan. Wish list - Any Mario variety
        SoCal - Zone 10a
        YouTube - Fig Reviews & Info

Comment

Thanks, Eric!!! BTW, you don't have to be named Eric to help!

Comment

I’ll post some figs on figbid to fund raise too this evening.
            Olympia WA Zone 8A/8B
            Wishlist: Boysenberry Blush, CLBC

Comment

• PBfigs
              PBfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Reba! Every $ counts!

Don’t have anything to auction right now but I will send some $. I do love my ITOS!
            Central Mississippi, Zone 8a

Comment

• PBfigs
              PBfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Spthorn! That is what I did. Every $ counts.

PBfigs Thanks for taking initiative and being the catalyst driver.

This Meteorito air layer is very happy to help and give back to its homeland

https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Detai...rito-air-layer
            WL: Angelito, Boysenberry Blush
            Tony - San Diego, CA 10A

Comment

• PBfigs
              PBfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Tony! Beautiful plant! My Meteorito was the same size as yours a month ago. It has tripled in size since I got it from Doug and it started to make little figs already! It is a real winner! I can't wait to taste it's berry flavored brebas and cinnamon-cherry jelly bellys main crop.

Here is a link for a few trees available. All of the money will go to help Doug’s efforts to help in whatever way he feels will most benefit his family and community.

I have been behind the scenes with Doug many many times and seen first hand and heard from others how he has so selflessly aided countless people in their time of need.

https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Evdurtschi
            Last edited by Evdurtschi; 09-11-2020, 06:11 PM.
            Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• PBfigs
              PBfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow! 12 Super Primo figs! Thanks Eric!

More than happy to help Doug out, thanks for raising awareness about this PBFigs
            Here in the central valley we’re dealing with some fires as well, though nowhere near as bad as up north. so much smoke in the air it’s blocking the sun.
            WL: Raspberry Tart & Angelito

Comment

• PBfigs
              PBfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Mitch! Please be safe!

Donation sent. Thanks for putting this together!

Comment

• PBfigs
              PBfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you @Citicodays!!! Every donation will make a difference.

I am in Donation sent. Doug is as good as they get
            Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• PBfigs
              PBfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree! Doug is that nice. This is a good way to show him how much we appreciate him.

I had the good fortune to meet Doug at Richard's fig gathering in San Diego. Did my part on PayPal.
            Thank you, PBfigs for letting us know.

-Pankaj Patel
            Pankaj Patel
            San Diego, CA, Zone 9b/10a

Comment

• Bluemalibu
              Bluemalibu commented
              Editing a comment
              Pankaj, you have most certainly done way more than your part... your incredible generosity will be putting a roof over a family's head.

• patel_p_j
              patel_p_j commented
              Editing a comment
              🙏🙏🙏

Thank you, Pankaj! I was not into growing figs then, so I did not have the pleasure of meeting the many members who attended. Hopefully next time. I have gotten to know Doug via PM and phone conversations. He is truly someone very special. Thanks again for your kind donation.

Comment

• patel_p_j
              patel_p_j commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Peter, Hopefully will get to meet you and others at another gathering post Covid.

• PBfigs
              PBfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              I am looking forward to that. Today, I had the great pleasure of meeting Richard Orazi. I could have talked to him all day. Great guy and super knowledgeable. Everyone needs to do their share with this Covid situation, or it will continue for a long time. An old proverb: A fish starts to stink from the head down.

I got my listing up. It’s a Roberts Golden Rainbow. Since it’s my first time selling on figbid I added my seller names from when I use to sell on eBay and from my active seller account on Etsy. I’ve had thousands of sales dating back to 2004 and I’ve only ever had one negative feed back and that’s saying a lot for my reputation.
            Olympia WA Zone 8A/8B
            Wishlist: Boysenberry Blush, CLBC

Comment

Thanks Reba! That is a very nice fig! Hope you get many bidders.

Comment

• Reba
                Reba commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ll be donating all the money minus shipping and handling of course. Just want to help out as the Lord has been blessing my family over the years.

Sorry for all that you Californian are going thru. My condolences to the families of those lost in these terrifying fires. I recently started a fund raiser to help me out and many members of the community like The1FigMan , Evdurtschi, MamaBear Ohio Joe and many others came to support me. So I am now sending my support to Doug. Thank you for all you do Bluemalibu . Stay strong brother.
              Last edited by Rigo007; 09-12-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• PBfigs
                PBfigs commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Rigo! You are a good man!

As one who left the West Coast due to forest fire problem it is clear Doug is doing what we would expect from such a man and deserves help.I believe many of the current fires are arson likely caused by entities that have likewise set fires inside cities. and the situation is clearly being noticed by their many allies some of which may be getting the idea to engage in additional destruction,evidence of this is the announcement by Oregon that the fire near Medford was clearly arson which devastated homes of innumerable elderly retirees and totally destroyed a formerly beautiful urban forest.
              Sure, we of this forum can send Doug some funds.And we shall.However we are but few in a nation of millions who have been unmarred by fire/We just saw a hairdresser got 300K on GOFUNDME simply because she curled a politicians hair and had to shut down her business as a result, similarly to millions of other US businesses needlessly forced to close as well who got ZERO!

There is doubtless on this forum some tech.internet savvy folks who understand how to originate a GO FUND ME operation for DOUG and also some who understand how to publicize the operation through internet and even how to get national news media of some sorts to mention the GO FUNDME operation. If this operation took flight DOUG could potentially receive six or eight figure sums he would use to assist relief effort.If I were not the old geezer I am, stuck in the analog era, ,could do it myself,but you guys are the vanguard in the current tech era!

If this hair curling lady deserved to receive funds ,surely Doug does even more!

Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST ZAFFIRO, THERMOLITO

Comment

• Sod
                Sod commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m not going to get into a pissing contest and if we are saying the same things then I apologize. Here’s what I’m seeing from several people on social media:

People are trying to make connections where there are none and all it’s doing is spreading fear and further dividing our communities. I am not saying there haven’t been illegal activities. I am saying that claiming some group with some political agenda is making a coordinated effort to start wildfires in CA, WA, and OR and that they are somehow connected to riots or political unrest is baseless and runs counter to everything our law enforcement agencies are currently saying. Spreading or insinuating rumors that run counter to what our officers are saying is irresponsible at the very least and needs to be stopped until there’s evidence from the folks doing the job of investigating to support such claims.
                Last edited by Sod; 09-12-2020, 12:59 PM.

• YATAMA
                YATAMA commented
                Editing a comment
                well guys. FYI the fire near Medford was going on with no specific arsonist or cause ID'd to date BUT a fire started malciously adjacent to main fire that merged with it was set by a man currently in custody.about 45 years old, meth addict with long criminal record,not likely member of any terrorist group.His fire accounted for maybe 30 plus homes gone and beautiful woods. Knowing the fine people living around there he better be glad he is inside the Medford jail and out of the:" line of fire". Origin of the main Medford fire is yet to be ascertained. Homeowners observed the arsonist referenced above starting the fire. In Oregon law permits use of deadly force against an arsonist if discovered in the act,but not AFTER..

• Sod
                Sod commented
                Editing a comment
                I apologize for bringing up some drama. Wasn’t my intent. There is a ton of divisiveness happening right now and the wildfires are the latest vehicle for that.

Donation sent. Doug is an amazing individual and has been doing God's work forever. He is always first up to help others and will put himself and his personal safety in jeopardy to ensure the safety and succor of friends and neighbors... God bless him and his efforts....
              Tony - Zone 6A
              WL- Good Health, a 60 lb Striped Bass, a Boone and Crockett Typical Buck, bushels of ripe Black Madeira figs, bushels of ripe Hachiya and other tasty Diospyros Kaki Persimmons

Comment

• PBfigs
                PBfigs commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said, Tony. Thanks!

Thankyou Peter, for getting this information out. Paypal we go !

Comment

• PBfigs
                PBfigs commented
                Editing a comment
                It was the least I could do. Thanks for your help!
            Working...
            X