X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The birthday cake clue

A friend of mine had a birthday recently. One of the guest came with a special birthday cake with you guessed it figs. My friend's husband made a comment and the said the preserves on the cake were made with 17 different types of figs. These figs were suppose to have been brought by the family almost 100 years ago and are still growing on the estate today. Naturally my friend said he knew a crazy fig person who would love to see them. They laughed and said to go ahead and send the crazy fig lady so come summer I will be off to check it out. What fun and who knows what they could be. At this point I don't even know where they came from.
    NC Zone 7a-b

Hope the cake was something special taste-wise
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Great! I hope they let you take cuttings!
      Phil
      Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

My friend said it was very good and was surprised how crunchy the figs were. I think they will let me take cuttings but first I just want to see and taste them. Imagine 17 unknowns all in one place. I would think one of them must be interesting. If I were going to bring 17 of anything with me I would sure try to get the best tasting ones.
        NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

• ChillynPhilly
          ChillynPhilly commented
          Editing a comment
          We will be awaiting news of your follow up visit this summer. Yum yum!

That's fantastic.
        I know that sometimes our own immediate families get a bit tired of our obsessive hobbies, but recently I've had a couple of experiences where unrelated parties have shown lots of interest. I've even had one person try to obtain cuttings on my behalf!
        ...17 different types of figs, obtained 100yrs ago, growing on an estate...there have got to be some keepers in there! Even if they're known types, just having another genetic strain around is important.
        Good luck -- keep us posted.
        Jim
        Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Working...
        X