X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilting tree help

My baby tree was doing so great and overnight poof! Wilted. I talked with WillSC about it and we're both stumped because it could be couple things. One is overwatered and root rot.
    Second could be fungal gnat larve
    3 got too hot. Sense the day I noticed it I quickly covered with a bottle because I read if a cutting is rapidly sprouting new growth faster then the roots the tree pushes all its energy to the new growth vs the roots and kills the tree. So by adding very high humidity and lightly misting the new growth the leafs won't need as much water to stay hydrated and with again focus in the roots. Here's the thing. I kinda looks like she's comming back the branches are staying up on their own when before they were on the ground and there's even a few buds looking to open and a couple perfectly healthy leafs. What do I do now? I bought a 109w LED daylight bulb to try out or have my regular grow bulb. It's in a pit under a dome. And partially on a heat mat. Think it needs dark and heat or photosynthesis to help the leaves come back?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

When they suddenly collapse like that, and they are not dry or were moved to someplace new (dry, hot, sunny etc.), it means something has happened to the roots. If they got too hot the perlite in the bottom of the cup could have dried out.

Comment

Originally posted by hoosierbanana View Post
      When they suddenly collapse like that, and they are not dry or were moved to someplace new (dry, hot, sunny etc.), it means something has happened to the roots. If they got too hot the perlite in the bottom of the cup could have dried out.

So what can I do? Water? Light? Dark? Humidity? The chicken dance?

Comment

Taverna78,

There are way too many unanswered questions...
        Are there any roots?
        What is the potting mix?
        Is the potting mix too wet?
        Does it have any nutrients and are you using any dilute fertilizer?
        Are there fungus gnats or is the cutting rotting at the bottom?
        What temperature is the mix (roots) and container?
        Is the heat mat overheating the roots?

Without healthy roots to support the leaves, the cutting will die.

My guess is that you should concentrate on the potting mix and roots.
        In the picture there is what appears to be long fibered sphagnum moss in the cup.
        If the moss is surrounding the cutting in the mix it will hold too much moisture and may cause rot.
        Good Luck.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Originally posted by AscPete View Post
          Taverna78,

There are way too many unanswered questions...
          Are there any roots? Yes good amount
          What is the potting mix? Roots Organics mix
          Is the potting mix too wet? Was dry when transplanted from peat pot filled with perlite vermiculite 50/50 in a cup with some smag on the bottom
          Does it have any nutrients and are you using any dilute fertilizer? No sir
          Are there fungus gnats or is the cutting rotting at the bottom? There was gnats and larve in other cuttings in the same bin. I didn't want to pull the tree out of the peat pot so I didn't disturb the roots. So I planted a almost moist more dry peat pot into the new mix and covered the top 2 inches with sand as well as in the bottom of the new pot.
          What temperature is the mix (roots) and container?78-82F
          Is the heat mat overheating the roots? The mat is at about 80F and I have the bin raised 1-2inches above the mat itself.

Without healthy roots to support the leaves, the cutting will die. The roots were tan/white color.

My guess is that you should concentrate on the potting mix and roots.
          In the picture there is what appears to be long fibered sphagnum moss in the cup.
          If the moss is surrounding the cutting in the mix it will hold too much moisture and may cause rot.
          Good Luck.
          What confuses me is root rot takes a few days of slow wilt and leaf loss. This happened in 8 hours and stil has new buds and new leafs growing off the semi limp branches... If I dig it up to look I chance shocking roots and will have to use all new medium because the sand will mix into the soil. If I leave it be its either gonna live or die. I'm just curious what the best thing I can do for it while I'm in the waiting period. Will photosynthesis play a part in helping the new growth continue to grow or does it need to rest in the dark? I'll try a closer picture. See this leaf is fully open facing upright with a new bud behind it. The others are wilted. Not curled up or molding.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

If the roots are healthy then you can look at the leaves...
              Has there been too fast a transition from very humid to dry?
              Is the lamp overheating and wilting the leaves?
              is there enough nutrients for healthy growth?

BTW, I don't use humidity chambers or artificial lights for cuttings, and always start fertilizing early (as soon as roots are visible) with a dilute water soluble balanced fertilizer with micro nutrients.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Working...
              X