X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY engravable plant tags (how-to video)

I put this video together today just for fun. I had tried the aluminum can method, which was fine, but I wanted a 2-sided tag with a cleaner look. Dirt cheap if you want an endless supply. I'm very pleased with the results.

Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Hey,

Nice DIY tags video, but what I also found interesting are the pots you are growing your figs in. Maybe a silly question, but why the garbage liner over the buckets with the figs growing through?

Thanks,

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      The trees are growing in a "sub-irrigation planter" (SIP). The bottom of the bucket has a small basket with soil, wicking water upwards into the bucket. The black plastic keeps the rain from flushing out the fertilizer and nutrients from the potting mix, prolonging the useful life of the potting mix. Thanks, and welcome to the forum!

Nice Frank! I'm a DIY girl myself, so I really appreciate this vid! I was just looking at the copper ID tags which run at $2.50 for just 4 of them and you still need to pay for them to be engraved.. That could definitely add up when you have a bunch of trees so this is great! Thanks for posting
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Cuttings Available 2022:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• Bluemalibu
      Bluemalibu commented
      Editing a comment
      Jamie, you'll save yourself from disappointment as well... after just one winter the copper tags are a struggle to read. They tarnish badly. These impresso tags are only 8.5 to 14.5 cents depending on quantity and look new for years: http://www.amekron.com/shop/

Excellent! So much easier than cutting cans.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Looks good. Have you used them for awhile? How does the tape hold up to the weather?
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• F. Bennett
        F. Bennett commented
        Editing a comment
        Don. That's to be determined.
        Hoping for a few years though.

• Bluemalibu
        Bluemalibu commented
        Editing a comment
        Frank, I used the aluminum tape two years ago, but simply folded it over onto itself instead of to the mini-blind. It is a real struggle to read them now due to their softness with the wind slapping them against their mounting branches.

• F. Bennett
        F. Bennett commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, thanks for the warning, Blue!

Here are the copper tags after a season, Jamie... quite a let down after being so expensive:

CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

• jmaler
        jmaler commented
        Editing a comment
        I have used aluminum and copper. Some of the copper one are barely legible after only a month. I am going back to the aluminum ones and throw the unused copper ones in the trash.
    Working...
    X