X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those fruits does not look healthy

I found some but not a lot of the fruits that are having black spots as per image attached. Why this happened ? Should I remove those ?
    Attached Files

I've never seen anything like it on a fig tree. It almost reminds me of apple scab, but I doubt scab would affect figs. Figs like sun, so I doubt it is sunburn. Sorry, I'm totally stumped.

Comment

Could it possibly be dried latex, fig tree sap?
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

If you live somewhere where you are forced to grow and pots and have to shuffle...then I would say those are brebas that were formed and the trees weren't acclimated to full sun. AKA the aftermath of severe sunburn, but it looks to me like they have healed and are doing fine now. It's sort of like scabs except permanent.
        Now if those are from in-ground trees, or those are figs that formed in full sunlight, well then I have no idea but I would leave them be. The tree will drop them if they aren't meant to be.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I see that sometimes on my figs. It usually happens after really windy weather when the leaves/branches rub on the green figs when everything gets blown around.
          Quy
          SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

I don't know what the cause is but it reminds me of thrip damage on stone fruit. Do thrips bother figs?
            Coastal SoCal/ USDA Zone 10b / Sunset 22 / AHS Heat zone 2

Comment

Well... since they are in your hand and not on the tree, you already removed them... unless all the fruit looks like that? Avocado scab looks like that too, but figs don't get scab right?
              Want: Marseilles Black, Col de Dame (any), figs that do great in zone 9b (new to figs, so no fig trades, but have other plant types)

Comment

The affected areas look like friction damage as Q* described.
                Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

In my garden I suspect bugs are causing damage to the figs as with all other fruits and veggies.

Among the many bugs that scar fruit are the stink bugs. They have a snoot that they stick in everything causing damage. In the photo the berry was completely black yesterday evening. This morning there are some light red seed sacs where the bug stuck its snoot. Does it inject something to change the color from black to red? I don't know.

I know with tomatoes the stink bug sticks red tomatoes and the spot turns orange and a corky area forms underneath the spot. In bad infestations the tomatoes with so many punctures will sour and have to be discarded.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• cjmach1973
                    cjmach1973 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    that is an asassin bug on the blackberry. They eat other bugs, including the stink bug, which has a little wider body

• jmaler
                    jmaler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cjmach, how can you be sure it's an assassin bug? It looks like a stink bug (squash bug) to me.

I would put them back on the tree immediately!

;-)
                  Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Thanks to all for your great responds. This fig tree is only 1 year old but with almost 80 - 100 figlets for now. According to my friend, he got only 10 - 15 figlets are having this black mark while others are still healthy as normal. I told him not to remove them all (those with black mark) as they will be ripen. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X