X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to post photos inline in forum posts

Lately I've had several people asking (in private messages, emails, and in threads) how I post those photos inline, rather than in those little "photo windows". I decided to open a thread on it here, so others can find it if they want. (Also to save effort... it's easier to have a thread than it is to respond to all the messages). I came across it by accident, the first time I added a photo. Here's a thread with an example of what I mean -- see the photos in the first post here:
    http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...varieties-list

First, I reduced the size of my photos to be around 200KB (or smaller). (I use Microsoft Paint to resize photos... it's free with Windows, and easy to use). Then to add them to the forum posting, here are the steps:

1. I click on the center icon in the upper right corner of the "new posting" window (It's got an A inside a little box, and it's the middle one of three icons there, in between the smiley face and some other icon). That opens the "advanced editor".

2. That "advanced editor" has a bunch of editing icons on a bar across the top of the edit window. There's an "image icon" about two thirds of the way across the bar (on my screen anyway). It's the one that looks like a little picture of two mountains with a sun or moon. On my screen it's the tenth one from the right edge (though for some windows it's positioned a little differently). If you roll your mouse pointer over it, it's the one that says "image".

3. I click on that little icon (the Image icon described above), and it pops up a window for uploading an image.

4. Inside that window, I click the "upload" tab, then

5. click the "Choose File" button.

6. At this point you get another window, where you navigate to find your photo file and select the photo you want, and click the "Open" button at the bottom of that window.

7. Then click the "Send it to the server" button. (This button is right below the "Choose File" button). That places the image file inline in the posting window, wherever you had the cursor (where you were last typing).

8. Finish composing your post. You'll see the image "inline" at this point in the editing process, but you'll also see some indicators of "attachments" or "inserts" at the bottom of the posting. Those indicators give you a few editing buttons, one of which is "remove", allowing you to remove that image, if you need to for any reason. I discovered that if you try to have more than 10 images in a single post, it will give you an error when you Submit the post. (That's how I discovered the "remove" button).

9. Once you're done editing your post, click Submit to submit it to the forum. Voila! (You'll see that the insert/attachment indicators at the bottom are gone, though if you later go back and edit that posting, they're there again... they're just there when you're in edit mode).

I hope this helps. Happy posting.
    Last edited by MichaelTucson; 03-09-2015, 11:43 PM.
    Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Good instructions.
    Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Mike,
      Thanks for these instructions.
      The key to the "inline"behavior is definitely to use the "Advanced Editor" instead of the icon that looks like the camera in the basic editing window.
      But it turns out that reducing the size of the input image isn't required! Here's an example of an inline image that's ~870KBytes. (Sorry, it isn't a Fig picture. But I think the Trekkies on the forum will appreciate it!)
      One additional very nice option worth mentioning is that after you've inserted the image, at the bottom of the screen (near the "remove" button you mentioned) there are additional options for resizing the inline image (Thumbnail, Small, Medium, Large, Fullsize). So, it seems it is possible to upload a high-resolution image as an inline image, resize it to reasonable dimensions for the put it is still "clickable" and viewable in high resolution!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090006.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	9143

Cheers!

Attached Files
      Last edited by Needaclone; 03-10-2015, 11:10 AM. Reason: resolution and resizing options
      Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

• Gina
        Gina commented
        Editing a comment
        Its a place called the Vasquez Rocks. It's readily visible from the major freeway between Los Angeles and the high desert/Palmdale. If I recall, the San Andreas fault is not all that far away. Lots of movies and tv programs including Star Trek and The Flintstones have filmed there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasquez_Rocks

• Needaclone
        Needaclone commented
        Editing a comment
        Ding Ding Ding Ding!! Gina wins!
        Can you picture Jim Kirk up on that ledge throwing a boulder down onto the Gorn?
        Lots of stuff was filmed there. For me, it has become like looking for fig trees in the background of TV shows -- I also look for Vasquez Rocks. You never know where and when it will show up.

• Gina
        Gina commented
        Editing a comment
        Another fun California movie site to check out (about an hour? away) is the Alabama Hills in the rain shadow of the Sierra. Lots of westerns have been shot there too. Do a google image search. It's a very pretty place. Also liked by still photographers.

Actually, you don't need to use the advanced editor. I use the reply window right under the thread. On top of the reply area, to the right, are 3 icons as you mentioned. The first looks like a piece of paper with a paper clip. That's for attachments. You click that and 2 options appear in the lower left. You can upload from your computer or from a URL. You click the appropriate one, enter the url or browse to the photo you want depending on which option you chose, choose the size from the same options as listed above and voila! It appears.

Name:	20141106_190437.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	9218
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob,
      Cool. That's a shortcut that's quicker and easier than going through the advanced editor but has the same end result.
      I'm wondering what are the benefits of using the camera icon that forces the pictures to be displayed in that "widget?" I guess one is that there is the option to add a caption to each image, which is nice. But beyond that, it feels a little clunky to me. I guess I just like seeing all the images right there in the post.
      Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Jim,

If the picture icon worked correctly it would be the one to use, but at the moment it is bugged and it won't allow me to change the default action which is set to thumbnail. I am hoping they fix that bug. They do work on the stuff as for the longest time the "most on line" reset itself every 24 hours but now it appears to be working properly.
        Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Like so..I don't think it worked.
          Attached Files
          Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
          Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Mike,
            Thanks for sharing the instructions.

Its part of my "picture bug" work around, but I still upload the pictures to the album first.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
            Last edited by AscPete; 03-11-2015, 04:11 AM.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim,
              Yes they do...
              BTW the photos in the album is of previously posted pictures, which are in my "Media" and can be easily shared in any post.

• Harborseal
              Harborseal commented
              Editing a comment
              What fig is that?

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              Its a White Princess fig not.

testing 800x600

Name:	DSC02104.JPG
Views:	12