X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear cups

Ciao everybody I have a question.... When you take a cutting that is rooted and place it into a plastic clear cups to watch the progress of the roots excuse my ignorance but is this 100% necessary to do or is it simply just to please the eyes of the grower? It seems to me that once you establish a good route system by actually seeing it inside the plastic cup you have to transfer the cutting anyway into a bigger pot which means that your stressing out the tree by moving it again and disturbing the roots then making the tree lose its leaves and start growing again. Again I am just asking because I've had to transplanted cuttings with really nice new growth on at all wilt because I feel I stress the roots out moving it from the plastic up to the 1 gallon pot. If it is necessary to have it inside these cops I'm going to try a different cup method that I seen on the Internet. This method you actually cut the bottom of the cup off and put the cup lid onto the drinking end of the cup. Making drain holes in the lid and planting the cutting in the upside down cup. Now once you SEE your roots and want to transplant you simply take the lid off the cup and set it into your 1 gal pot of soil and slowly raise the cup off and over the leafs while filling in dirt. Now you never moved the roots. Thoughts?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

null
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I have considered this style of rooting/planting cups and of using straight walled PVC and like it. You can get cups with matching lids in all different sizes. I too have had the wilt issue but they always seem to recover quickly. This method also gives you a more stable base and is cheaper than using PVC pipe. The lid removal can be tricky but if you cut it in half before you put it on then it is easier to remove it. I wonder if there are any biodegradble lids that you could leave on.
      Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

I would think if the roots in the upside down cup are plentiful you should be able to do a sand castle type release. Maybe have a very little smag moss in the bottom of the cup so when you remove the lid and flip it into the soil all the medium won't pour out? Or coffee filter?

Comment

Coffee filter with a rubber band to secure it till planting day.

Comment

Gene does it that way with the upside down cups and it does work. Another advantage is the cups don't fall over. But even with a normal cup when transferred to a 1 gallon they generally don't wilt and never drop the leaves.
            Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Bio degradable cups and lids

http://greenpaperproducts.com/dispos...x#.VP7oNbEo59M

Comment

any time I've ever transferred a tree they've always been ok. Just a few dropped their leafs and re grew new ones because it was a very stressful transplant. But this was a long process. First it'd be fine for a while then slowly over days or weeks the leaf would look droopy and dying then fall off. My issue is they look 100% perfectly healthy and then in a matter of hours they wilt and fall off. They don't curl up. They don't look sick. They just go limp and fall off. The almost look like sautéed spinach when I pick them up off the soil. I've never seen this before and I'm stumped. I'll tell us this much any cuttings I have in the cups right now are staying in the cups till the roots are almost root bound. This isn't that difficult of a thing to make grow and never had this many issues with trying to grow a tree. I'm glad it's happeneing tho because I'm still learning as I go. Again the cup bin is at anywhere from 75-82F with heat mat 1-2inches under the bottom of the bin. Sheet of glass as a lid 90-100% humidity. Proper medium. Not overwatered. No fungus gnats. And a plant grow light over it all. I was very gentle when transferring to potting soil to the point I don't think a single grain of perlite moved. The soil hole was sprayed lightly with fresh water before planting. I didn't want to over wet it because the peat pot it is in felt it had enough moisture. So I'm stumped. This is the second tree that's done this. One is a jolly tiger and the other panche tiger. Both from the same seller. Both in same everything. It's gotta be that the new growth is growing faster then the roots (which is hard for me to believe) and is not focusing its energy to the roots cause the leafs are so many and so big. I can't think of anything else. Now the coffee filter thing gave me an idea. Being in the past I've had fungus gnat issues which I'm almost 100% free of. I put sand on top of the soil as well as in the bottom of the pots. If fig roots tend to grow towards the top of the soil line and being sand don't hold moisture maybe before I plant the rooted cuttings into a pot with soil that the gnats like could I poke hole in coffee filter and slide down cutting before any leafs start and then add perlite or pea gravel over the top of the filter to stop the gnats?

Comment

Thanks Wills for remembering my method. It does work real well on many fronts. They are very stable and wont be easily knocked over, and more room for roots to spread. I usually use aluminum foil but Charles I like the coffee filter and rubber band idea. This is my method of moving them from the cup to a pot. I water the cutting with a mild Miracle Gro mixture. I prepare the potting mixture for the new pot by adding a little water but leaving it on the dry side. Squeeze the cup to break loose the roots and mix from the cup walls. I then hold the cup on it's side and remove the foil. Stand the cup up on the end of my fingers and remove the cup. The wet root ball will hold together and you simple put you hand in the pot and place the root ball in the center. Apply the slightly damp potting mix around the root ball. The drier mix will draw out the excess water from the root ball. In a few days the moisture will be fine and you can water as needed. I have never had a plant wilt doing it this way. On the next batch I will be using the filters and putting sand on top as usual.
                  "gene"
                  Zone 9 Houma LA in the bayou land.

Comment

I root directly in sturdy plastic bags (about the size of cups) in which I've put lots of holes in the sides and bottom with a paper punch for aeration and drainage. I use just moistened 1:1 perlite and planting mix. When I can see sizable roots and some leaves, I'll lightly fertilize. I'll even acclimate them to the outside and sun in these bags. I wait till there is a significant root system (root ball) before transplanting, then using a razor blade, carefully slit the plastic bag down the sides and across the bottom without disturbing the roots.

If you can't find good enough bags, I'd use cups but cut the plastic cup cut totally in half before putting in the cuttings, and then tape it back together so it could be easily separated w razor blade when the roots were large enough.

I think many people try to pot up too soon, esp when using a mix as totally loose and nutrient-free as perlite. It's better to have a more advanced root system that will hang together than just a few healthy looking roots which have not grown enough to hold everything together. I learned this the hard way.
                    SoCal, zone 10.
                    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I'm still curious of the whole smag moss rooting to cup root growing thing. What is the actual point of taking a cutting with 1-3 inch roots on it that comes out of the rooting box and putting it into s cup or bag mixture? Why wouldn't the roots grow like they do if not better going from smag moss right into the 1 gal. Pot? Realistically if something was to go wrong inside the cup there's no fixing it anyway so why not just put it right into the potting mix?

Comment

If the roots are mature enough to handle the potting soil and you don't over water it, it can go to 1 gal pots. It's so easy to over water that many people root in perlite and wait until the roots are well developed before transferring.
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Darkman
                          Darkman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Last year prior to my heart attack I rooted in an equal measure of Pine bark fines, milled sphagnum moss and coarse sand. When I potted them they went into one gallon pots with the identical mixture. I will start some more this month to see if I get the same results which were good. I think being able to root and grow in the same medium is a big help.

Ahhhhhhh.... Now as people have said when they transfer into pot out of cups they leave leave all the stuff that was in the cup in the new hole in soil. So could the hole that's in the pot soil just be heavily mixed with say perlite ? And just add the cutting without the cup between?

Comment

Someone on the other forum had such a method. He would put some potting soil in the bottom of the small pot. He then had a tube much like you get in the center of a paper towel roll, only shorter, which he would center in the pot. He them filled the pot on the outside of the tube with potting soil and then put the cutting in the tube and fill the tube with perlite. He then carefully pulled the tube out of the pot. This left the cutting sitting in perlite and the perlite was surrounded by the potting soil just as you asked about.
                          "gene"
                          Zone 9 Houma LA in the bayou land.

Comment

Ciao, Taverna, as an experiment last September, I rooted a few cuttings directly into pots with soil and it worked fine. But that was outdoors, with no humidity chamber or heat mat. I just had a mesh cover for a little sun protection. Over the winter, I used clear plastic cups with coir in the humidity and heat mat indoors.
                            USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

So far the best rooting in a cup results I've had was the little smag on bottom and 50/50 perlite vermiculite mix threw out the cup and the rooted cutting inside a peat pot in the cup with same mixture. I think my next batch I'm gonna di the upside down cup with the same mix with the coffee filter and give it a shot. I'm she many methods work. And is great to hear how many people do it differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X