X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PawPaw Gene
    replied
    NativeSun, Yes I've seen that video but haven't tried that yet. My available loquats come from an old large tree that my Dad planted many years ago. It's been badly pruned over the years and most of the fruit is out of reach except to get on a ladder. I have a young McBeth that I will be doing that type of pruning on when it starts bearing. My daughter has 6 young trees about 7 foot tall that I keep trimmed down in size. The freezes we had earlier this year while the tree was still in the blooming stage killed a lot of flowers thus the fruit looks like they way it is shown in the video. I'm interested in seeing what size they will attain. If I think of it I post a picture later.
    "gene"

Leave a comment:

• Chrisk
    replied
    Nothing like a nice ,cold pink grapefruit after a hard played soccer game followed by a bowl full of homemade vanilla ice cream topped with a big spoon full of all natural fig preserves. Yum. Love em both for what they are and what they do. " balance Daniel son"

Leave a comment:

• WillsC
    replied
    Today the pomegranates were steamrolled by the figs........resistance is futile.

Leave a comment:

• cis4elk
    replied
    Hmm, being land locked I've never heard of a cobia. I just Googled it, we always need more fish that eat squid and taste good.

Leave a comment:

• NativeSun
    replied
    Gene I saw your post about Loquats (one of my favorite fruits)... have you ever Youtubed Dr. Ken Love's video on pruning Loquats? He is teaching a class and told folks how the Japanese severely cull their crop load to only 2-3 fruits per pannicle (spelled that wrong, I think) -- the fruit get very very large -- apricot sized. The Japanese also cover them with paper bags (you can get them online) that reduce the amount of light that the fruit receives ... this delays ripening of fruit but it also allows the sugars to really develop. I tried this last year and the fruit quality, size , etc. were absolutely AMAZING -- well worth the effort and "reduced" production. Quality over quantity...

Leave a comment:

• Hershell
    commented on 's reply
    The stump I crafted was my Coctail grape fruit. Nuf said
    However. The one that I got from a friend was good. Good enough to make me want one But mine didn't set fruit well.
    Last edited by Hershell; 03-12-2015, 09:48 PM. Reason: Spelling, spelling and spelling

• Gina
    replied
    Navel oranges are coming in now. Nice and sweet this year.

Leave a comment:

• PawPaw Gene
    replied
    Harvey I have tangerines to keep me in fruit until the loquats ripen and then the figs. My tangerine ripens late and are just in their peak now. We have satsumas to throw ate each other as most people have a tree or two. By the time they are finished the tangerines come on strong. I also have a tree called @@@@tail grapefruit which I got from my friend @@@@ (Richard) Watts. This year I have flowers for the first time and I hope I get to taste one. @@@@ says they look like grapefruit but with taste more like an orange. Have any of you tasted one of those?
    "gene"

Leave a comment:

• WillsC
    replied
    Originally posted by NativeSun View Post
    Wills ... Cobia, you say? We are waiting on the run up here in Jacksonville...soon it will be time to run the beach and look for the most delicious of fishes (IMO)

That pond looks awfully "Ducky" heheheh

You guys always get the cobia before we do for some reason. They are a great tasting fish. I like to slightly overcook them, turns out just like tuna.

Leave a comment:

• NativeSun
    replied
    Wills ... Cobia, you say? We are waiting on the run up here in Jacksonville...soon it will be time to run the beach and look for the most delicious of fishes (IMO)

That pond looks awfully "Ducky" heheheh

Leave a comment:

• NativeSun
    replied
    Harvey how do you like the Oroblanco? I'm picking one up from Just Fruits next week during my spring break -- it will be my last trip out to JFE for a mass pick-up
    HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH AH
    That's what I always tell the wife..."just one more trip"....it never happens...

Already have a Rio Red grapefruit and a bunch of other citrus, but the Oroblanco piqued my interest and I have room for one more citrus tree in the yard..

Leave a comment:

• Darkman
    replied
    Maybe do some aqua culture and grow Prawns.

I lost my Grapefruit tree. It was a pink seedless and very sweet less tart. Really miss it but it grew from seed and took about twelve years to produce and then it died after only five years of production.

Leave a comment:

• Harborseal
    replied
    A few citrus are great. But what he really needs (and has, I think) is a greenhouse.

Leave a comment:

• HarveyC
    replied
    Okay, figs are nice but it's been a 3-4 months since I had my last fig but I enjoyed a very nice Oroblanco yesterday. Hope you're keeping some citrus to have year-round fresh fruit.

Leave a comment:

• Taverna78
    replied
    Sell the grapefruit cuttings on eBay! Call it "grape'Osso" you make big money lol

Leave a comment:

• joann1536
    replied
    I like a good grapefruit now and then, but everyone here loves figs all the time.

Leave a comment:

• FMD
    replied
    Pumelos...what grapefruit should have been.

Leave a comment:

• WillsC
    replied
    Originally posted by paully22 View Post
    Wills, Looks like you are in crocodile Dundee territory. Any good fishing? Looks like you have to watch out for gators
    and snakes in the trees.

Paully,

There are gators in the lake, quite a few of them in fact. There is a back fence to keep the deer out and the ducks in as they would not last long with the gators. There is bass in there and panfish but we generally just fish the Gulf of Mexico, Grouper, cobia that sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• Harborseal
    replied
    TRR may be slightly less objectionable than other grapefruit but that doesn't make it 'hard to beat'

Leave a comment:

• Bijan
    replied
    A Texas Ruby Red is hard to beat.

Leave a comment:

• Eithieus
    replied
    i would have cut it back and grown both. but figs are better.

Leave a comment:

• Otmani007
    replied
    Who needs grapefruit when you have figs!

Leave a comment:

• paully22
    replied
    Wills, Looks like you are in crocodile Dundee territory. Any good fishing? Looks like you have to watch out for gators
    and snakes in the trees.

Leave a comment:

• ako1974
    replied
    Grapefruit is a great ingredient in marmalade, when the sugar can cut down the tartness a bit. But I'd rather have different fruits in my orchard, like lots of figs.

Leave a comment:

• Gina
    replied
    Originally posted by jkuo View Post
    Actually, I kind of like a good grapefruit. If the grapefruit is pre-peeled, pretty much my entire family will wolf them down. But I would probably also raze a field of grapefruit in favor of figs.
    A lot of people like grapefruit. But there are a significant number of people (estimated between 10-25%, depending on degree of sensitivity) who are 'supertasters' for whom such strong flavors are repulsive. Other 'bitter/strong' things super tasters don't like are foods such as beer, coffee, arugula... milk chocolate preferred over dark chocolate, white wine preferred to red wine..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

Specific food sensitivities[edit]

Although individual food preference for supertasters cannot be typified, documented examples for either lessened preference or consumption include:
    Certain alcoholic beverages[15]
    Brassica oleracea cultivars Brussels sprouts[18][19][20]
    Cabbage[18]
    Kale[20]

Coffee[18]
    Grapefruit juice[19]
    Green tea[19]
    Soy products[19]
    Carbonated water[21]
    Cheddar cheese[22]

Other foods may also show altered patterns of preference and consumption, but only indirect evidence exists:
    Tonic water – Quinine is more bitter to supertasters[citation needed]
    Olives – for a given concentration, salt is more intense in supertasters

Leave a comment:

Working...
X