X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olive Oil ?

So i am curious as to fig cuttings drying out while they are in the rooting process. When figs on my trees are almost ready to harvest but are not yet 100% ripe I rub a drop of olive oil on the bottom of the fig (hole) and by the next day they are ready. I hear of people outting wax on the tip, parafilm to hold moisture even toilet bowl wax ring. A store by me rubs olive oil on their display apples and they look beautiful for weeks. Do you think olive oil rubbed on the entire cutting minus the rooting area would help them stay moist?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Give it a try on a cutting you do not mind losing.

I am trying honey on three cuttings as a last resort.
    Hopefully the cuttings will root this time.

I thought about waxing the cutting that is above the rooting medium.
    When you buy a rose bush the stems are wax coated.I believe to keep the
    stems from drying out.
    New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

I use wood glue when I only have a few. It seals well and is easy to apply.
      Phil
      Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Like Elmer's wood glue? And the buds we able to break threw it?

Comment

• drphil69
          drphil69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, Elmers or any other. I just seal the cut ends, but I am sure the buds would break through it.

I've used gorilla wood glue to seal grafts. I put it from 1" beyond the union, over the tape holding the union, to the tip of the scion. It works great, and the buds will break through. I just don't know why I have not thought of dipping cuttings.
        Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
        N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

Another great topic tav.
          Olive oil on rooting cuttings sounds like a great idea. I will definitely try it.
          Honey is a natural disinfectant and I've heard of people mixing it with water and rooting cuttings in it. Look up "rooting cuttings in honey" on YouTube .
          To seal the cut wounds on my larger trees , I use an insulating water based mastic that is both quick drying and with an elastic texture when fully dried. I also use it to seal and weatherproof the grafts.

Comment

Grazie Grazie. I hope I don't shame myself or upset members by posing many new topic. But for me everyone help to my questions is like free science class! Ahah! I have grow hundreds of fig trees my papa way but does not involve rooting. We (I just learn term) air layer but put dirt around bottoms of trees and make the baby in fall. We have a fig tree farm but all trees come from Calabria mountains and I don't know Scientific name of this. This year I post pictures of tree and figs and we will see. All are purple and white. But one is 3 year old still no fig.

Comment

You have actualy started some very cool topics. Absolutely no shame to that.
              Air layering a live tree is a foolproof way of cloning a tree. I tried a few over the years and like you mentioned ,late summer to early fall is the best time to do.this year I'm also playing around with grafting and so far looks like they are on their way!
              Olive oil is also a great tool of removing tree sap from hands, tools ,your vehicle finish and any other surface. It is also the best dressing ( mixed with balsamic and oregano) for your salads! Lol

Comment

Grazie Fratello ! I am learn and want to learn! I love you tube video of how to propergate fig tree is very funny watch this...

Comment

Ha. Awesome video . Love that guy. Cool method of airlayering.

Comment

Working...
                  X