X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root stimulators: ever heard or used 'em?

I use rapid start rooting enhancer for cuttings. Not talking about that. Someone suggested using "root stimulation" for fmv weakened young plants. I found these products on the internet, with wide variation in NPK ratios.
    Would any of this help a new fig plant?

http://www.fertilome.com/product.asp...b-0db4c57745e1

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Light-Or.../dp/B000BZ8HHW

https://sites.google.com/site/minh10...20-check-price
    Rafael
    Zone 7b, Queens, New York

I use RS every time I transplant a tree especially bare root trees and rooted cuttings. It removes transplant shock.

Dennis
    Dennis
    Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Dennis, which specific product do you use? Thanks!
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

I use K.L.N. rooting concentrate by Dyna Gro, very satisfied with the results.
        Have not lost a single cutting after transplant.
        Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
        Zone 8B

Comment

Hi Rob

KLN seems to be more of a hormone based product, it seems to be a good rooting stimulator but I already use Dip n'Grow, Clonex and Rapid Start, so it seems like using that would be hormone overload.
          Rafael

Comment

I use Fertilome root stimulator. I buy it by the case. You guys should see the plant in my office at work! It's one of those common house plants you grow inside. It's in a small 2 gallon pot. My office is a 12x12 office with one of those floor to ceiling windows. I started feeding it 16 months ago and it has wrapped around my office twice already. I cut it once a year ago and I need to cut it again. I also use Schultz Plant food.
            Dennis
            Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

So, Rob Ster 010 and Snaglpus, How do you use your products? Once before transferring from mist machine to pots or what? Thanks.
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob

Some of the product sites refer to a "root drench" at the time of up-potting.
                Rafael

Comment

I've been using the Fertilome product, but only for cuttings after cupping up, and at 1/4 strength. It also has rooting hormone in it. My cuttings seem to like it.

All of the ones listed are high in P, low and nearly equal in N, K. Phosphorous for roots and the low N should not burn young plants.

Sorry this does not answer you question Rafael. I do have a badly fmv infected VdB that I plan on burning as soon as I know my new vdb cuttings are going to take. I could try in once they wake up and see what happens.
                  Phil
                  Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Do they sell any of these at the big box stores?

Comment

I don't think so. Maybe Lowe's. Better to try your local hydroponic store
                      Rafael

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with SUPERthrive?
                        I had it recommended to me a couple of years ago as a root drench/soak when transplanting plants, or for reviving wilted plants that have been shocked for some reason. The label describes it as a vitamin solution. As far as ingredients go, only vitamin B1 is listed by name, along with an indication that it is derived from kelp. It claims a 0.5-0-0 N-P-K ratio - obviously intended to be more of a supplement than a fertilizer on its own.
                        Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

A lot of people here and on fff have written about superthrive. I have never used it. I feel comfortable with my custom made nutrient solution-cal/mag, cornucopia general nutrient concentrate and rapid start all diluted. Works nicely for me, I also spray it on young leaves. I do think there is something to be said for giving a push to root system when you transplant.
                          Rafael

Comment

Jim,
                            Superthrive is B1 vitamin and NAA plant hormone, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUPERthrive , there's lots of published anecdotal info on its use. In actual tests its not been shown to be effective. Most marketed "Root Stimulators" are dilute nutrient solutions which are repackaged and sold as such.

A root drench of Dilute Miracle-Gro would be just as effective for an added nutrient boost, as would a dilute (seedling concentrations) application of any balanced hydroponic fertilizer. You could also add a drop or two of Dip N Grow (low concentration) for the Rooting Hormone effect...

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/u...vitamin-b1.pdf
                            Last edited by AscPete; 04-09-2017, 10:12 AM. Reason: edited broken link...
                            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Saw this at HD today...
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Rafael

Comment

My favorite hydroponics store gave me a free sample of Tappin' Roots that is supposed to contain willow water and be specific for root development. I had a few cuttings that had produced good roots but were declining and the roots were beginning to turn from white to yellow, even brown. I tried watering them as per the directions on the bottle. The extra moisture in the cups killed them off. I think they would have been better off keeping the rooting medium dryer rather than adding more water, even if it contained a helpful rooting solution.
                                Mara, Southern California,
                                Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/u...3/bonemeal.pdf
                                  Why does the myth of phosphorus-induced root stimulation persist?

The answer probably lies in the effect phosphorus fertilizers have on mycorrhizal relationships. When plant roots are in low phosphorus environments, they exude organic acids from their root tips. These acids allow mycorrhizal fungi to penetrate the roots and form the networks that assist plant roots in taking up water and nutrients. Mycorrhizae are particularly adept at extracting phosphorus from the soil.

If phosphorus levels are too high, however, the roots do not exude the organic acids and mycorrhizal connections do not form. This forces the plant to put more resources into root growth to compensate for the lack of mycorrhizae. So in a sense phosphorus will increase root growth – but at an added cost to the plant. The resources expended by the plant in growing additional roots to take the place of mycorrhizae are not available for other plant needs.
                                  A site with good concise info for gardeners, http://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/

Comment

Have you ever seen a person who used bone meal with sickly looking plants?
                                    I haven't.

Doug

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I get my phosphorus from Dyna Gro Bloom liquid fertilizer.

"So in a sense phosphorus will increase root growth"

Increased root growth feeds the plant.

Doug

Comment

Posting the article about Phosphorus and Bone Meal was not an indictment, I use bone meal on all my plants since its a primary ingredient in the Espoma-tone products...
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Gardentone label detail.png
Views:	100
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	21690
                                      It was directed at the majority of commercially available "Root Stimulators" that are usually NPK, often with 3 to 1 (or more) ratio of P and some which also contain extremely low concentrations of Rooting Hormones (IBA or NAA).

For example Fertilome Root Stimulator has a 4-10-3 NPK and an IBA concentration of ~ 5.4 PPM when mixed as directed. A dilute, 1 teaspoon MG All Purpose and 1/2 teaspoon of Dip-N-Grow per gallon of water provides more nutrients and rooting hormone as a "root drench".
                                      For transplanting bare root trees and plants I've used weak (dilute) MG solution (without the hormones) successfully for years.
                                      Last edited by AscPete; 06-07-2015, 10:34 AM. Reason: corrected IBA PPM of Fertilome RS ... from 5.2 to 5.4

Comment

Working...
                                      X