Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	9486 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1492.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	9489
    Zone / Region:
    zone 7, The Bronx, NY USA
    Located in a previously ethnic Italian neighborhood and originally grown by an Italian American gentleman... Its currently owned by an old family friend, Mrs Bryant. There is no other historical info available.

Cultural practice:
    In-ground, bush form approx. 12' diameter and 15' tall. Not fertilized in 30 years. Soil has been amended with drywall plaster (construction debris) over the past 10 years. The tree has been pruned back (cut back) several times. The picture of the tree budding out in spring depicts ~ 5 year old branches.

Leaf descriptions:
    Thick, hairy and dark green. Mostly 5 lobed and 5 lobed with thumbs, very few (rare) 3 lobed leaves.

Fig descriptions:
    Small to medium sized, small tight eye (ostiole). Color is usually Dark burgundy in warm summers, paler at the neck with striping when ripening in cooler weather. The flesh is amber with a strawberry colored pulp when fully ripe, figs cling on the tree and have to be "picked" individually, very few fall to the ground. Ripe figs will dry on the tree and or are usually eaten by flying insects and birds. I don't consider the taste to be complex, they are sweet, but not as sweet as Celeste with a rich sweet raspberry flavor and mild seed crunch. The flavors are more intense when they ripen in drier weather.

Growth habits:
    Healthy fast growth, no visible signs of mosaic disease.
    Placed several branches horizontal to form an espalier in April and harvested ripe figs by October from the verticals that were formed that season.
    Cuttings will produce figs in their first leaf. Out of several hundred rooted cuttings none showed signs of FMD. The tree produces large numbers of breba which ripen in mid to late July... Main Crop start ripening in August and continue until fall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	9484 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	9485

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	9488 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1032.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	9512

Name:	IMG_1453.jpg
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	9487 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4117.jpg
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	9491

Name:	IMG_4707.jpg
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	9493 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4703.jpg
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	9494
    Last edited by AscPete; 03-11-2015, 09:42 PM. Reason: typos and added "origin"
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Any history of the fig's place of origin?
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ed,
      Thanks, I added the info to the post... Nothing other than Its Italian...

Additional Info:
      http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....onx-ny-6028881
      Last edited by AscPete; 03-14-2015, 01:25 PM. Reason: added link.

Comment

Looks like a nice discovery, thanks. Vigorous, healthy, productive and early fruiter....
        I'd be interested in trying this one in Maine.
        Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
        Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, PM me later in the season...

Pete, some people have said this is a Mt Etna type, or similar to one. Do you agree?
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it has similarities to the Mt Etna Types, but the flavor is all berry / fruit without the tart / acid aftertaste of Hardy Chicago.

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          Neat, thanks!

Great fig info.

Does this tree need to be wrapped and protected during the winter?
        Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          The tree is not wrapped. Last winter the entire tree was killed back to the soil line, due to sustained temperatures below 15*F.
          There are no fig cultivars whose branches will survive unprotected sustained temperatures below ~10*F., but the roots will survive much colder temperatures and regrow from soil line.

Nice find Pete. Look at the size of those leaves. By the description and the photos it does sound like a CH. Maybe it is the age of the tree and the fact that it has no die back (hence the breba) plus the amendment on the soil that makes it taste different.
        Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          IMO, all fig trees can and do develop larger leaves when given proper culture..
          Ive grown a potted HC (Hardy Chicago) next to a potted BryantDark and they develop at different times with different colored Figs. Also The leaves have different though similar shapes.

It looks like a great fig. I can't wait to taste this one.
        Thanks Ed for cutting last year (unfortunately my rooting skills didn't work out)
        Thanks Art for the tree
        and Pete for the info on this thread
        Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks and Good Luck...

I found this picture from last summer. It is a good fig.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
        Art
        Western Pa -6a

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the feedback...
          Hopefully you'll have a few more pictures and some more feedback this season

Beautiful looking fig ...

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks can be deceiving, but not in this case

Pete, very nice looking fig!

Sorry for appearing dense but I don't understand the name you have chosen for this lovely fig.

No disrespect intended to you or Mrs Bryant but if I read your post correctly her only connection the fig is that she happens to now own the house where it was found growing.
        The actual fig is of Italian origin and likely a Mt. Etna type.
        Would it not be more indicative to call this fig; U. Italian Dark Bryant or U. Mt Etna Dark Bryant?

Also given the length of time you have had this fig and the effort you have made to match this fig to known varieties and posted on F4f and now here for all to see when can the unknown be dropped from the name?
        Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
        Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
        Canada Fig Growers

Comment

Pino,

Thanks.

No offense taken...

The name I chose follows my simple naming convention for "Found figs"... the name of the owner and whether its a Dark or Light fig, currently there are about 25 similarly name figs trees.

I have no knowledge of the origins of most and IMO it would be presumptuous of me to label it with the name "Mt Etna" simply because it has some similarities. Also, There are too many figs in circulation called Italian Dark or Dark Italian.

I did find a fig that has more similarities to Hardy Chicago including taste, but I called it KrmkDark for easy referencing.

Most people do refer to it as BryantDark and drop the "unknown", either way we all know its the same fig

Comment

Pete, thanks for helping make sense of this topic for me.

25 similar figs to BryantDark! We sure have an abundance of beautiful figs.
            I am sure we all have our favourites.
            Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
            Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
            Canada Fig Growers

Comment

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              25 "found figs" that I've named using my naming convention. There are many more "found figs" in The Bronx, but they weren't good enough to collect and name.

The Bryant dark mother tree was mostly killed back to soil line again this past winter, there were a few stubs that were not completely killed. The tree now has several new branches over 8 feet tall, 1" to 1-1/2" caliper and producing ripe figs. I didn't have a chance to thin out the branches earlier this season as seen in the attached photos.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Pete, I'm glad you found this tree. The rooted cuttings I got took off then 2 died. Them the big one died. I removed the soil dipped it in rooting hormone and now that dude is growing fast! I have a good feeling about this fig. It's going to be a good one. And I know next year it will fruit, based on how fast it grows. I will winterize it indoors over the next 3 years before placing it out forever. Nice find my friend! I'm going to send this fig out to many of my fig fest friends next year.
              Dennis
              Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

• AscPete
                AscPete commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Glad that at least one survived.
                I had several ground layers that weren't protected properly during winter storage, most died this spring but hopefully will have cuttings this fall.

Based on this thread and the descriptions given here, I'm adding this to my wish list. Will be glad when I have some stock of my own for trading...just got to get this little trees into big trees.
              Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• AscPete
                AscPete commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll post if cuttings are available this fall.

• DBJohnson
                DBJohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, sir!

Pete,
              Here's the Bryant Dark I got from you a year or two ago. I actually neglected it a bit last year ( too much going on) and it kind of sat there not doing much.

This year, I've had an explosion of new growth and it has put out a few figs. The thing I like about this tree the most is the fact that the leaves seem to have a fuzz to them, very cool. Tree seems very happy in the greenhouse with now signs of FMV on any of the leaves. Now if the figs would start to swell.....
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
              Check us out on Twitter @GrowBigPlants

Rhode Island - Zone 7A

Comment

Working...
              X