X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My spring has sprung

Finally got some of my winter grown cuttings put in the ground.
    I plant my orchard each year extending it row by row.
    Now, I'm just about done. I will have a weak tree here and there to replace.
    Ones I do not like so much will be replaced by tastier varieties ect ect.
    But I have finally decided enough, this will finish off my orchard.
    I will call it quit at 70 figs. Maintaining it will be what I do as I get old.
    Here's my March figs I just planted and my other rows of figs waiting to wake up.

I wish you all a great season

Doug
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by SCfigFanatic; 03-12-2015, 01:47 PM.

Congrats, Doug and may your trees thrive, prosper, and reward you for your hard work!
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Thanks Jesse!

Comment

How exciting! Keep those critters away.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Looking good! Must be a lot warmer down there if you can already put rooted cuttings in the ground, I'm jealous!
          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
          SE PA
          Zone 6

Comment

Kelby, I'm Mr unorthodox on figs.
            I plant before last frost date if the weatherman says
            its going to be the temps I need for growth.
            Frank
            What I do each year is use 7dust on my new transplants.
            The deer wont eat em, neither will critters or insects.
            Let alone, the dust gives sunburn protection.
            I do not promote 7dust, and this is usually the only time I use it.
            But it works, so I continue.

Thanks

Doug
            Last edited by SCfigFanatic; 03-12-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

bet there's a turkey or two in those woods

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
                SCfigFanatic commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, they have been seen. I accidentally found a nest of spotted turkey eggs when we first moved here.
                But, they are around.

I'll have to keep that in mind, regarding 7dust. I've heard of it being used before. Thanks
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
                SCfigFanatic commented
                Editing a comment
                After growing cuttings all winter hardy enough to put in the ground, it really sucks to have the young deer come through
                in the spring and eat everything. Including your favorite figs. Stuff tastes bad I guess.

Heh. I love Sevin...never thought to use it to deter deer though. Normally deer don't eat fig plants, but the ones in my neighborhood sure did. They destroyed my transplant last year! Alas, looks like I'm moving in a few months anyways, so more power to them.

I shall continue to plant figs wherever I go...and Sevin them from now on!
              Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
                SCfigFanatic commented
                Editing a comment
                Try it, it has worked 100% for keeping any leaf eating critter off my cuttings.

Nice looking orchard Doug.
              Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Thanks Hershell

Comment

That looks wonderful. I don't think we will get another freeze but we just might. It looks like you have enough for a you pick orchard.
                  Brian
                  Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

If we look like it could get down to freezing, I get a bale of straw and fluff it over top the young figs.
                    A bucket over top works too.
                    Seems like I've done it every year. Figs are tough.

Doug

Comment

Looks like a great little orchard to me!
                      USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

I envy you. I would not dare put my babies out yet but we are zone 7b. The one thing I have noticed about having a fig orchard in SC is that the more fruit you have, the more you become a destination point for all the local wildlife. Last year I had raccoons tearing and chewing through some of the netting I put over some of my young trees to retain some of the fruit for me. Before that it was deer and pigs going for the reachable branches of the older trees. Every year it becomes more of a challenge to protect what I grow. Last years potted babies (still dormant) will go in ground this week. Nothing has really woken up in this neighborhood although my Bryant Dark and a Lattarula are leading the parade with visibly green swelling buds. OT, plum and apricot trees are just coming into bloom.

Comment

Do not envy me. I live in a zone 8 but it is just on the edge of 7b. Same thing. I go by soil temps, air temps and weather people predictions.
                          It has frosted after last frost date recently here so I kinda guesstimate when to put the babies in the ground. A dust of bone meal on the hole
                          and mulch to help keep them moist is all it takes.

Doug

edit dang, I forgot.
                          I trap coons and shoot what aint moma deer.
                          This keeps 80% out of the orchard any way. I also try to eliminate
                          the squirrel population during hunting season. Still I will get robbed.
                          I am just trying to grow enough that I get a taste too.

Comment

So which "Sevin" dust are you using. The 5% or 10%?

orchard looks good. Have you tried planting a food plot for the deer and turkey to distract them away?
                            Art
                            St Louis County, MO Z6B

Comment

Art this year my feed store had this

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/hi...lb-p-1710.html

http://www.fertilome.com/product.asp...f-097ad3589cdf

it seems more safe than 7dust.
                              Deer still don't like it's taste yet.

Doug

I do have a food plot just yards away, it is one that re seeds it's self
                              each year for a few years. It is the spotted youngsters that seem ok to eat anything.
                              Tomato leaves, just anything green.
                              Last edited by SCfigFanatic; 03-13-2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Aloha, Doug. The orchard looks great! Definitely can't wait to see how it all fills out by the end of the season. Thanks again for all your sage advice. Let me know when you're getting low
                                Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

Hello Nate, hope all is going well with you. Thanks on my orchard, it is a work in progress thing.
                                  Anything I can do to help, just ask. I will let you know, thanks pal.

Comment

Looking great Doug ! Best of luck with your orchard and have a wonderful and productive season!

Comment

Thanks Chrisk, I'm heading out there now. Have a great season yourself.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                                      X