X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helloooo Girls.. Idea?

Ok so! Could you please fill me in on something please? My wife.. She wears pantihose a lot ! (I like putting on my head and make funny faces at her) BUT she always has to buy new ones cause she gets small tear in them and says they're very "tearable" now they seem to be pretty strong when I put over my fat head or when I use old one for laundry water discharge but a little snag tears them instantly. So are they that weak??
    Why I ask? Because I start a post about clear cups few days ago and members posted different methods of getting the fig cutting out of the cup and into the ground without disturbing the roots. Pantyhose is stretchy... Thinking could line the inside of a cup with one and fill it as I would a straight cup but when its ready to go into 1 gal pot just lift it all out with the pantyhose not moving the medium or dist rubbing the roots and planting it in the pot still in the pantyhose? Think the roots will break threw the delicate,tearable,well draining fabric as it grows on in the pot? Just a thought...
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

No idea?

Comment

Mike,

While the nylons get runners easily that are also very strong so not sure how it would work with the roots or if it would girdle them but I think it is a possibility.
      Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Pantyhose are nylon (or at least they were a few years ago) and so should degrade in the soil, but why not just line the cups with news paper?
        Dale

Comment

Will.. Thank for reply. I think that myself. I just thought if it were stretched out with media and as the fine root tips slip thru little holes and continue to rip them as they get bigger plus over time I would think the bigger the roots get that it would shred them apart?

Dale
          The reason I think this is because newspaper holds water and will just fall apart after being in a moist cup for given length of time. Tho I wonder how long a large coffee filter would hold up...

Comment

Maybe newspaper lined cup in the upside down cup sand castle method

Comment

I don't think the roots would push through very well.
              Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

Solution? Great information great video great idea not so great with the kid in the video... Only roots are not visible.
                Recycled Biodegradable Plant Pots Think you have an awesome pin worthy of our Pin of the Week feature? Contact us and include a link to your pin on Pinterest.

Comment

If getting rooted cuttings out of plastic cups without major damage to roots is a problem for you then you might want to try this technique that I have used successfully for a few years. You start the cutting in moss, coir, etc just enough to get roots started (but less than a half inch long). Then transplant into peat pots inside plastic cups as described here:
                  http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1276613670

Then later when the cutting is leafed out and roots are visible to the wall of the cup it is very easy to take the peat pot out and transplant to a 1 gallon container.
                  Steve
                  D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                  WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Yes yes I've done this a few times as well works great

Comment

Working...
                    X