X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardy Fig List

I just realized I never posted this to a thread here, but it has been available in my signature. This is a list of 'hardy' figs to Zone 6 with all the normal caveats of plant health, care, and siting. I do not yet have much experience with most of these, so it is largely the result of research across various forums and websites.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

If you look along the bottom of the spreadsheet, there are tabs for other windows with lots of good info (at least I think so). I encourage you to do more research on any variety you're interested in and not take what's written as gospel, but it should be helpful in directing the search for new figs. I particularly recommend searching for any posts by herman2 on gardenweb or f4f, he has been trialling hardy figs in zone 6 NJ for many years.

It's not really intended to be an absolute list, but I hope it is fairly comprehensive. As always if you have any questions, comments, or tips I'm all ears!

Have a great day!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Variety Light/Dark Ripening (A- Early, B - Mid, C - Late) Flavor Category Flavor Description/Rating Good Breba Crop (container or protected) Potential to Fruit First Year after Dieback to the Ground Comments
    Absheron Yellow Light European variety, may not be available in North America.
    Adriatic JH Light C Adriatic Berry Hint of strawberry, not too sweet. 8/10. High quality but few Yes Tolerates rain and humidity. Excellent, unique flavor. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback. Not actually Adriatic!
    Atreano Light B Honey Yes, high quality and productive Easy to grow with excellent flavor, large fruit, adaptable to rain when ripening. Needs to be picked when fully ripe. May be marginal in zone 6 per some reports. High quality breba crop if protected that ripens up through main crop. Imported by Hanc Mathies, one of 3 varieties he kept.
    Battaglia Green Light C Adriatic Berry? Strawberry tasting. Originally grown at Folly Castle, VA, possibly traces back Thomas Jefferson. Named after Ms. Battaglia of Paradise Nursery (now closed) in VA. Needs a long season, may not fully ripen.
    Bari Dark B Dark Berry Yes Found by f4f member in Willow Grove, PA; mother plant is in Bari, Italy. Extremely vigorous and productive. Similar to MBvs, seems to be a Mt Etna type. Can fruit from ground kill. Continues to set fruit all the way through hard frost, requires pinching and thinning. Seems to be very hardy.
    Beall Dark
    Black Bethlehem Dark A Dark Berry Sweet, jammy berry. 8.5/10 No? Yes Found in Zone 6 Bethlehem, PA in a Greek neighborhood where it grows unprotected. Early with very sweet figs. Introduced by Bass. Mother plant died back to 12-24" during polar vortex but still fruited. Very reliable in hard winters.
    Black Cartagena Dark European variety, may not be available in North America.
    Brooklyn White Light B/C Sugar Yes, high quality and productive Found in Brooklyn by Bass. Excellent quality breba crop if protected/container grown, though skin may be tough in younger plants.
    Bornholm / Nexoe Dark Sugar? Yes Originates from Denmark, reported to be extremely cold hardy. No cold damage to -4°F (only in 95/96 at -22°C). Also known as Nexoe and Precose de Dalmatie. Breba crop size/quality?
    Brunswick/Magnolia Dark B Sugar Very sweet. Yes (more info needed) Very large fig with sweet flavor. Easily sours, best in areas with dry summers.
    Bryant Dark Dark Dark Berry No? Found in NYC, similar to Hardy Chicago but more tangy flavor. Seems to resist splitting well.
    Capelas Light ? very sweet Large, fair quality fruit. Slow growing.
    Celeste / Creech Dark A Sugar Very sweet. Common older variety, especially in the South. Can have problem's with fruit drop.
    Col de Dame Gris Dark ? Yes Hardiest and easiest to grow CDD in colder climates. Late ripening.
    Danny's Delight Dark ? "sweet mulberry juice mixed with sweet Pomegranate juice"
    Dark Portuguese Dark B Dark Berry No? Yes? Very similar to Hardy Chicago and Sal's, some say it has a slight acid component to the flavor others say it has a less figgy taste. Mt. Etna Type. Introduced by Bass. Very reliable in hard winters.
    Desert King Light A Yes, breba only Breba crop only, will need winter protection to ensure breba fruits are not injured.
    Eastern Brown Turkey Dark B Sugar Fair Probably the most commonly available variety, though plants are often not true to the name. Easy to grow and reliable though not very flavorful.
    English Brown Turkey Dark B/C Sugar Yes Good/great quality breba and main crop. Many variants out there including: Sweet George, Bayernfeige Violetta, and LaRadeks EBT. Breba buds tend to be quite hardy.
    Excel Light ? Very sweet yellow fig. A Condit hybrid, resists splitting. Seems to be hardy. Similar to Kadota. Flavor may be better in warmer climates.
    Figo Preto Dark B Exotic Berry May be marginal in Zone 6.
    Florea Dark A ? Quite rich and sweet. Yes Yes Originally from Serbia. Zone 5 hardy. Early to ripen, can fruit 1st year after ground dieback. May be the same as Mitchurinska10 from Bulgaria, which is reported to handle -20C.
    Galbun Light ? Sweet, light green fig. Seems to be hardy.
    Gillete Light ?
    Gino's Black Dark B Dark Berry No Yes Can be near as good as Violette de Bordeaux (VdB) according to some, others say it is similar to Hardy Chicago but less prone to souring. Mt Etna type. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback.
    Green Ischia Light B/C Sugar None to Few Hardy, dependable, and tasty, like strawberry jam. May be hardier than Hardy Chicago and Celeste. Green when ripe so it may fool birds. Possibly the same as Verte.
    Hanc's English Brown Turkey Dark A Sugar Yes Possibly a variant of Southern Brown Turkey as per Herman2 and Robert Harper, found by Hanc Mathies at Miller Nursery. Reportedly extremely hard to propagate but very hardy, potentially to Zone 4b with protection. One on the 3 figs Hanc Mathies kept in his collection.
    Hardy Chicago (Mongibello) Dark B Dark Berry No Yes Common, often considered underrated. Excellent beginner fig as it is available and very good quality. Mt Etna type. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback.
    Hunt Light ? not exceptional, figgy fig flavor Not exceptional but handles rain well. May not be hardy.
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Improved Celeste Dark A Sugar Yes Very hardy and early to ripen. Can fruit 1st year after dying to ground. Note there are several varieties that are improved celeste types (ie. O'rourke), but this refers to one simply called Improved Celeste.
      Kathleen's Black Dark None to few? Usually takes several years to start producing, fairly susceptible to dieback when young. Very good flavor. Introduced by Gene Hosey.
      Keddie Dark A/B ? Great flavor. Good cold tolerance, found in Pittsburgh, PA. Fruits mid-August through frost.
      LaRadek's English Brown Turkey Dark A Sugar Yes Zone 5 hardy. Breba is good quality and seems to be extremely hardy, reportedly to -10 to -15 F. Main crop is also good but ripens late.
      Lattarula/Italian Honey etc Light A Honey Yes Hardy, heavy producer of sweet figs. Fairly common. Many synonyms for this variety exist and many varieties may be called Lattarula. Breba crop can be as good as main crop.
      Longue d'Aout Dark ? Yes Yes Large fruit, quite hardy. Good quality breba crop ripens in July, very large and long. Main crop fruit is large, but not as large as breba. Dislikes heavy, wet soil.
      LSU Gold Light B Honey Large and very sweet. Rain tolerant.
      Lyndhurst White Light ? Melon with little crunch. 8.5/10. Original tree in Lyndhurst, NJ. Crops large, excellent flavored figs. Very hardy. May be the same as Lattarolla.
      Malta Black Dark A ? Like a juicy, jammy strawberry. 9/10. Yes Thick skin and small eye help prevent splitting, good for humid areas. A workhorse fig. Very early. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback.
      Marseilles Black VS (MvsB or MBVS) Dark A Dark berry Good berry flavor and right amount of sweetness. 9/10. Few if any Yes Very hardy, fast growing, and productive. Resists rain well. Resists FMV. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback. Has survived (dieback extent unknown) -18 F.
      Marseilles Monticello
      Nero 600M Dark B ? Similar to VdB. Sweet, berry taste. 7.5/10. Yes (more info needed) Yes Very cold tolerant, fruit quality excellent even with rain and humidity if properly ripened and tree is mature. Highly recommended. Some may be the same as Valle Negra and/or Valle Calda.
      Niagara Black Dark ? Yes Likely the same as Longue d'auot
      Northland/Nordland Bergfeige Dark A ? Very sweet, pure honey. Honey melon flavor, 9/10 Yes Resists splitting when wet. May be the same as LdA.
      O'rourke Dark B Sugar Marginal in Zone 6.
      Olympian Dark ? Yes (more info needed) Found growing in Olympia, WA. New variety, reportedly hardy. Breba is good.
      Ronde de Bordeaux (RdB) Dark A Bordeaux Berry 9.5/10, very berry with little tartness No Yes Very cold tolerant and early, fruit quality not always good when rainy and cool but when good it is among the best. Highly recommended. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback. No/very few breba.
      Saint Anthony Light Honey Yes May be the same as Lattarula, but sources differ. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback.
      Sal's Corleone / Aldo Dark B Sugar Not overly sweet, with a hint of berry and melon. 8/10. Juicy but not overly sweet. Some state it is hard to root. Totally different variety than Sal's EL / GS. Prone to splitting, best flavor with lots of heat.
      Sal's GS/EL Dark B Dark Berry Very jammy, little figgy, and just sweet enough. 8/10 No Yes Very similar to Hardy Chicago, may be somewhat hardier. Mt Etna type. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback.
      Salem Dark Dark ? Very sweet flavor Vigorous, productive and cold hardy.
      Sodus Black Sicilian Dark ? like a peach Yes Found in Sodus, NY by f4f member johnnyq. Seems to be extremely hardy. Good breba.
      Stella/Dalmatie Light C Adriatic Berry Yes (more info needed) Yes Good flavor.
      Susser George / Sweet George Dark C Sugar Yes Likely a variant of English Brown Turkey. May not fully ripen main crop in cooler climates but is quite hardy. Good, hardy breba.
      Takoma Violet Dark Dark Berry Yes Yes Excellent quality Mt Etna Type. Can fruit 1st year after ground dieback. Introduced by Gene Hosey who found it in Takoma Park, MD. May trace back to Germany. Unusual for a Mt Etna Type, the breba crop is good.
      Zingarella / Gypsy Dark A? ? superior taste Somewhat cold hardy, often dies to the ground. Unique gray color. Good rain resistance. May be better in a container.
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

• sapihia
        sapihia commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome list, just what I've been looking for! Thank you!!

Kelby, this is a great reference. Thanks for posting it.
      Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Thanks, Kelby, this is great!
        USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Thanks Kelby for the great info

Canada zone 5
          Vincent Canada Québec zone5

Comment

Thanks for the list, I hope this will expand soon if we will have new cold hardy varieties.

Comment

great list
              Independence Louisiana Zone 8B

Comment

What is considered early? My Celeste (A) ripen at the end of August through September.

Comment

• Kelby
                  Kelby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It really depends on your climate and cultural practices (pot vs ground, shuffle, greenhouse). I would say early is late July/August, mid is Sept/early October, and late is late October and beyond.

• CliffH
                  CliffH commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, climate has a whole lot to do with it. Celeste in our area starts ripening in early June, and last year even in late May.

Great List Kelby. Thanks for posting it.
                Tim-Zone 8a/Northport, Alabama
                WL- Texas Peach, I-258, Figo Preto.

Comment

Do you want unknowns on this list? If so I have a few awesome cold weather figs to add...
                  Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Unless they are widely distributed and proven, no. Just too many out there!

• TorontoJoe
                    TorontoJoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fair enough... I was specifically thinking of the figs being offered but Aaron (NJFigFarm)

He certainly distributes a lot and all cold hardy to zone 6

excellent work
                  WL La Radek BT, Improved Celeste, Florea

Comment

Kirby

Your file is so helpful for us newbies, Thank you for making it available to us. I have question that'
                    Out of the topic, I saw some persimmons in your file and I had never tasted them before, I bought 2 trees 2 years ago , 1 astringent , 1 non astringent. Really loved the non astringent and was wondering how I could get some cutting to graft new varieties to my tree.
                    Mario
                    Victoria TX
                    zone 9a

Comment

• Kelby
                      Kelby commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There are quite a few members here who also have persimmons. I already have too many scion requests for this year, but in the future I should be able to help you.

Texas has a rare fruit growers affiliate.(Affiliated to CRFG). I am sure you can get all the scions there you want for free.

https://crfg.org/home/chapters/texas/

Comment

Thank you both for your reponse, I will look into the website you provide.

Mario
                      Victoria TX
                      Zone 9a

Comment

Great list. Thank you
                        Wish list: An early spring, a wonderful growing season and a bountiful harvest for all our friends on Ourfigs

Comment

Kelby
                          How do Hardy Chicago and Hardy Hartford compare as far as cold hardiness and look of the fruit produced?
                          Tim-Zone 8a/Northport, Alabama
                          WL- Texas Peach, I-258, Figo Preto.

Comment

• Kelby
                            Kelby commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I haven't grown Hardy Hartford, so I can't really comment. If I recall correctly, Hardy Hartford is a Mt Etna type, so they should be similar?

Great list. Thank you

WIsh List: Any Moroccan fig.

Comment

Bumping this great List... Thanks for posting!
                            Chris
                            Zone 6B

Comment

Atreano and O'Rourke produce first year from complete dieback, like LdA, Sal's G and RdB. Zone 6b.

Comment

What where the Growing Degree Days GDD for youre figs?

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...pen-in-my-area
                                Growing: Brown Turkey, Ronde de Bordeaux, Hardy Chicago, Dottato, Michurinska-10.
                                Wish list: Yellow long Neck, Smith, Sao Miguel Roxo and cornel littman black cross
                                Netherlands zone 7B/8A?

Comment

I’ve referred to this list many times. Thanks Kelby for posting it.
                                  Wish list: sangue dolce, HdA, Pasteliere, Luv, CC, colonel littmans,
                                  Princeton, NJ. Z6B

Comment

Thanks Kelby. 👍
                                    Such little time so much to learn
                                    zone 7a New Cumberland Pa
                                    Hoping for Global Warming changing my 7A to an 8 😊

Comment

Excellent and helpful list! Thankyou Kelby. But where is green Michurinska?? Could Red Lebanese BV and Sangue Dolce and Genovese Nero af /I258 make this list I wonder. I would like to add Hardy New Jersey to that list. It was found in ground at an abandon house in central NJ. It was 12 ft tall and makes a yellow colored fig with strawberry colored inside. Should know how it tastes very shortly as it has 2 huge brebas .
                                      Last edited by cvarcher; 07-08-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I have had Salem White, another Bass introduction, in ground for 3 winters, and it is finally proving itself with great growth and earlier production. A honey type fig. Will try to report back on time of ripening - the past two years it did not start producing as early as this one.

Niagara Black, on the other hand, has been late to put on figs after die back for the past two years and I may not see ripe figs for the second year in a row.

Ed
                                        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                                        X