X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re brown rooting in summer

Just wonder if any folks simply to put their brown cuttings directly in the dirt for rooting in summer ? Does it work ? What kind of success rate do you know about ?

I put 10 in the ground this year and so far 7 are leafing out. Not sure if the have actually rooted or not. These were from cuttings that broke off, were trimmed off while up potting, or cuttings that didn't seem to want to root inside but still looked viable and I didn't want to baby them anymore.

It's definitely a no fuss method.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

What conditions are they in... in ground Don?

Like shade, sun, temporary greenhouse, pots or actual ground?
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

All in ground in actual dirt (plus the potting mix [40% compost/40% peat/20% perlite] if they were started in a cup or 2 liter) in flower beds with hardwood mulch on top. Left about an inch above ground. Water them when I have to water the rest of the in ground plants (2-3 times a week if no rain) and leave them alone otherwise.

5 on the north side of the house in full shade with maybe a tiny bit of direct sunlight late in the evening. These were 5 cuttings freshly cut and stuck in less than an hour from when I up potted and all 5 have at least leaves developing.

5 are on the side of the driveway but get quite a bit of shade from trees. Maybe 50% sun during the early and late part of the day? 2 of 5 showing leaves. One I think was most likely dead but thought it was worth a try. 2 were fresh cuttings that didn't seem to make it (kind of surprised those didn't). 1 had a tiny green limb that started growing in a 2 liter bottle and stalled for months on one cutting but started growing in the ground a little. Accidentally stepped on that one and broke the tiny stem since it had started growing in the ground and now it is growing again. The last was a cutting that never seemed to do anything in a cup but is starting to leaf out now.

Last year I put two cuttings in the flower bed by the street and the driveway. Both leafed out last year. One made it through the winter unprotected (died back to the ground) and is growing again with two stems that I pinched at probably about a foot high in the last couple weeks to see if I can get it to fruit.

For my area, I think they would root well directly in well draining soil during late spring/early summer with the dirt enriched with compost and placed in full shade. Mulch and water like you would the rest of a flower garden.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

Thanks Don. Great informations and helpful to a newbie like me.

Comment

That is great info. Thank you for the details Don!
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Working...
            X