X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank's Fig Unknown

PREAMBLE: I posted this originally with the intent of adding a fig to the Varieties List. The title of the thread was originally "Frank's Fig Unknown" (And I had initially posted it in the Varieties List). It became a rather interesting broader discussion... about criteria that might be applied for adding unknowns to the Varieties Pages. Read on below (scroll down) for that discussion... it appears below the initial posts which are specifically about Frank's Fig Unknown.

Frank's Fig Unknown

Zone / Region: zone 5a / central NY state

Cultural practice: Some in ground, some in pots of various sizes and soil compositions.

Alternate name: Tentatively identified (by VS) as a strain of English Brown Turkey. Or at least, closely related. Sometimes referred to as "English Brown Turkey - Frank's Fig strain".

Leaf descriptions: Dominant leaf is 5 lobed (3 real lobes plus small "thumbs"). Slightly rough texture to leaf.

Fig descriptions: Makes breba plus main crop. Breba are small to medium sized, with long slender neck. Here it ripens the breba crop in July or August. Main crop is late and rarely ripens here (only in a good year). Breba is yellow/red/brown on exterior. Interior has white or yellow flesh surrounding light red pulp. Taste is sweet and full for the breba. Breba taste better than the main crop. Luckily this one makes lots of breba.

Growth habits: Very vigorous and easy rooter. But a relatively slow grower. Quite cold hardy, with late bud break.

History: Known lineage back to Buffalo NY, 1966. Probably brought from Sicily 2 generations prior.

Photos by M. Ferro [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8520[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8521[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8522[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8523[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8524[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8525[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n8526[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8527[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8528[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8529[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
    Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Additional Photos: (forum only allows a max of 10 photos per post)

Photos by M. Ferro
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8532[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n8533[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n8534[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n8535[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

Comment

Additional Photos: (forum only allows a max of 10 photos per post)

Photos by M. Ferro
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n8532[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n8533[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n8534[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n8535[/ATTACH]
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's another photo of this variety (Frank's Fig Unknown), this one from a grower in Owego NY. (That's a neighboring village, about 15 miles away from my location). It's from fall of 2014 (not sure the actual date). Might be breba, or might be main crop (they didn't tell me, and I don't remember). (Though the appearance to me suggests main crop, I seem to remember that they had only brebas on that tree... so I guess I can't be certain).
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n9431[/ATTACH]
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X