X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathleen's Black main 2016

Here is a nicely ripened KB fig, the tree is in a 4 gal pot, 2 nd year. The taste reminds me a MBVS or a Black Mission, berry and juicy. On purpose, I had it next to a Noire de Caromb. I have seen many mentioned that KB and NdC are the same, I say they are not the same. KB is much closer to a Black Mission by taste and productivity. NdC taste is much more complex and with a pleasant aftertaste. This comparison is based on the pollinated figs, maybe non pollinated they are the same, do not know. In my case, the NdC wins absolutely.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Boysenberry Blush

That looks great Igor! There is such a small window to pick them perfect with this heat wave.

Comment

Brian,
      I agree, this summer is quite challenging. It is hard to say when a fig is ripe since they are all hard on touch.

Comment

I have been told that KB takes several years to fully develop, a painful 4 to 5 years.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott,

My comparison is for the KB and NdC of the same age exactly. If KB needs more time, that also tells us they are not the same. But in 4-5 years the NdC will also get better!

Comment

My KB bit the dust early this spring, I was very unhappy about that. I just acquired another so I will keep on waiting to find out with you. So many variables Igor!!!!
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

My KB is bearing 10ish fruit in its second leaf. I also got one breba off of it this year, which was pretty tasty. If it's going to get significantly better in a few years than my first sample, then I'm going to be super pleased.
              Johnny
              Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

This is a comparison of two dead ripe KB and NdC. Although they look identical , the taste is not the same. NdC is much richer with aftertaste while , as I mentioned before, the KB reminds me a good Black Mission.
                To free the space, KB will go at the end of the year. It is still a very good fig but I need room.
                If anybody near LA wants one in a 4 gal pot, Pm me.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• SeattleFigs
                  SeattleFigs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  how about their skin? texture or smooth? and productivity comparison? thank you for sharing!

• greenfig
                  greenfig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The NdC wins in productivity for sure. The skin is thin with smooth texture.

• SeattleFigs
                  SeattleFigs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thank you so much! im looking for dark color flesh fig with smooth skin. my VDB has texture skin that kills my tongue

It’s an old thread but I am curious if the NdC produces any breba? I trim it heavily every year and thought that maybe I should leave a few branches to produce?
                The last year was very productive and the more I trim the more the fig trees produce so I trim it for sure if it’s not worth keeping for the breba

Comment

Working...
                X