X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iso caprifigs

im looking for capri fig cuttings, im going to try hand pollination so im assuming it would work for any variety. i dont plan on growing the seeds.
    NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

I'll send you some as soon as the trees go to sleep.
    Lake Elsinore CA Zone 9b
    WL: Cessac, San Matue, Allix, Aignan, Barran, Amarcord, Joalle Figs.

Comment

Any caprifig variety won't work. You need a persistent variety, otherwise the profichi will drop before the pollen is viable.
      Mark -- living in the CA banana belt, growing bananas, figs, and most any fruit I can fit in my small, crowded yard.
      Wish List: more free time

Comment

• swethakyadav
        swethakyadav commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember an older conversation where Richard mentioned that profici doesnt drop without the wasp and persistent caprifig is needed only in case of a breeding project. Is this not the case ?

• venturabananas
        venturabananas commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I think he was mixed up about that. Profichi that don't drop in the absence of the wasp is the definition of "persistent" in caprifigs. Without the stimulus of being inhabited by wasp eggs or larvae, non-persistent caprifigs drop around the same stage that main crop figs of smyrna types drop -- and that is well before pollen is produced. But just like smyrna or San Pedro types, which sometimes ripen some main crop fruit without pollination, it wouldn't surprise me if some non-persistent caprifigs sometimes ripen a few profichi without wasps, but that is the exception, not the rule.

In short, make sure to get a persistent caprifig if you want to do hand pollination and you live outside the fig wasp zone.

Here are two profichi from the same caprifig tree. It is a non-persistent type. The more hollow looking ones are not inhabited by the fig wasp and have dropped from the tree prematurely, before ripening. The less hollow looking one with more full looking "seeds" (endocarps, technically) is inhabited by wasp larvae and it would have ripened (produced pollen and released wasps) on the tree in a month or two if I hadn't picked it.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.
      Mark -- living in the CA banana belt, growing bananas, figs, and most any fruit I can fit in my small, crowded yard.
      Wish List: more free time

Comment

I found this caprifig and there are Wasps inside but I don’t know if it is persistent or not. What should I do to know if it is persistent ?
        Attached Files
        Zone 9b - Sacramento, CA

Comment

• goodfriendmike
          goodfriendmike commented
          Editing a comment
          sc4001992 the purpose for persistent figs is to produce common seedlings that do not need the wasp. Or if you do not live in wasp land and want to hand pollinate since only persistent figs will hold and produce pollen in non wasp land.

• venturabananas
          venturabananas commented
          Editing a comment
          Kaz, goodfriendmike has given a very clear explanation.

Whether wasps in your caprifigs is a good thing depends on whether you want your figs caprified by the them. To my tastes, they taste better caprified, so I'd say it is a good thing, provided the wasps aren't introducing disease (e.g., endosepsis). After the wasps come out of the caprifig, they either go into young main crop fruit on your fruiting figs (e.g., Brown Turkey) or they find other caprifigs in the right stage to enter and carry on their life cycle. Or if they fail, they die.

• sc4001992
          sc4001992 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, thank you both goodfriendmike and mark. I think I understand a little better. I hope my first Black Madeira fig fruit on my graft is caprified.

goodfriendmike does it have to be persistent if your only goal is to hand pollinate? Would a regular caprifig work? There’s a thread recently and the millennial gardener said that any caprifig will do. Now I’m confused.
        Ramil. West Seattle, 8b
        Current Fig List
        Wishing for: Moro de Caneva

Comment

• goodfriendmike
          goodfriendmike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes in your location it needs to be persistent. If not it will drop all figs. Look at it like this ( common figs) are persistent they produce without the wasp. Same thing with Caprifigs. Instead of common and smyrna you have persistent and nonpersistent. Persistent figs hold till ripe without the wasp. Nonpersistent will drop everyone before ripe if not pollinated

• ramilviax
          ramilviax commented
          Editing a comment
          goodfriendmike On your list you have Cuervo Oscuro, do you know if it’s persistent? It’s my only caprifig

• goodfriendmike
          goodfriendmike commented
          Editing a comment
          AS far as I know it is not. Just a somewhat edible caprifig. That is not that edible. You need saleeb, enderud, croisic, C1 They have many more but thats 4 off the top off my head.

I would like to tag along on this thread - apologies to the OP

I am interested in hand pollination and acquired cuttings of Girsh and Yanonali over winter and rooted them. They are 3-4 ft trees now and I was hoping to start my experiment from next season.
        Based on this thread, I feel I should try to acquire a known persistent caprifig and not risk losing one year of progress.
        So, if anyone has an air layer of a known persistent caprifig, pls let me know.
        Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
        WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• It Could use another day
          It Could use another day commented
          Editing a comment
          Your fine, many people don't have caprifigs so looks like figbid might be our best bet.

• figs and tropicals
          figs and tropicals commented
          Editing a comment
          you could also consider grafting a persistant capri fig cutting to your existing capri trees and not lose any time...or much time...
      Working...
      X