X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 UNKs and Monticello Marseilles for trade

Hi y'all--I've got cuttings available from 3 different UNK trees--1 from my friend's house and 2 from a property I'm caring for. My own Marseilles (from the Monticello garden nursery) will also have plenty of cuttings.

Here's my best attempt at describing the fruit of the UNKs:
    UNK Silver Spring Bronze: medium to large fruit, ripens to a lovely yellow/bronze color with pink to dark pink inside. Little seed crunch, sweet, syrupy flavor when completely ripe. Growing really well with zero winterization in Silver Spring, MD (6B)
    UNK Woodbridge Dark: small to medium fruit, ripens to dark purple with bright fuschia inside. Little seed crunch, sweet/tart berry flavor reminiscent of raspberries. Growing really well with zero winterization in Woodbridge, VA (7A)
    UNK Iranian Light: small to medium fruit, ripens to light yellow with light amber inside. OPEN EYE FIG--very susceptible to ants. Seems seedless, very mild, sweet flavor, not very complex but interesting shape and coloring. Growing really well with zero winterization in Woodbridge, VA (7A)

All 3 of these varieties are older, established trees in bush shape, well over 15 years old. The Iranian light came from the home's last owner, brought over in 2000 as a cutting. He wanted to add it to match the UNK Woodbridge Dark that was already in the front yard to flank the driveway.

The UNK Silver Spring Bronze is at my friend's home--the previous owner was a botanist at the University of Maryland and he's got 6 UNK fig trees in the yard. This one is the most productive, with hundreds of figs each year. The mother tree is a giant bush that obstructed his deck. He has had ZERO upkeep of this tree/bush in the past 15 years and it's enormous. That said, these three would all do well in pots for about 2-3 years and then great in-ground with little muss or fuss once established.

My Marseilles is from the Monticello nursery at Thomas Jefferson's estate and has done very well for me without winterization in 7A. Last year, I covered it with a box and some leaves inside and I got just a few inches of dieback at the tips of the branches. The fruit is a lovely small to medium fig with a light green exterior and a fuschia/red interior. Sweet berry flavor, with little seed crunch. Former traders will testify that it's a fantastic rooter and I send it out very freshly cut.

For trades, I lean toward the French varieties, but would love to hear about what you have. If you don't have anything to trade, PM me and I'm sure we could figure something out.

Thank you, and happy trading!
    UNK Silver Spring Bronze UNK Silver Spring Bronze UNK Woodbridge Dark
    Wishlist: leaning toward the French varieties, here's what I'm rooting/growing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Just received the UNK Silver Spring Bronze cuttings from your friend. Everything was in great shape and arrived quickly, thank you!
    Wish List : Cold Hardy/Prolific bearers - Letizia , Florea, G. Paradiso, Lattarula, any Sals varieties, Negronne, Navid's Unk. Dark Greek, Bass' Fav.

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to hear it!

Same here...got the cuttings and have them all set up. Doing direct pot method so they should all be well and truly rooted by spring and ready for 5gal SIPs.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Great plan!

I received my cuttings. They are in very good shape. Thank you!

Comment

Received the Marseilles and Unknown cuttings, thank you very much !
      Wish List : Cold Hardy/Prolific bearers - Letizia , Florea, G. Paradiso, Lattarula, any Sals varieties, Negronne, Navid's Unk. Dark Greek, Bass' Fav.

Comment

• SarinaP
        SarinaP commented
        Editing a comment
        You're very welcome, good luck with them!

Update: All four of my UNK Silver Spring Bronze have put on top growth and two are showing some nice roots. The two not showing roots yet are the smaller ones in the back, so I suspect the roots just haven't gotten to the edge of the cup yet.

IMG_1189.JPGIMG_1190.JPGIMG_1191.JPG
      Last edited by DBJohnson; 01-08-2017, 12:55 PM. Reason: typo
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Mine are also doing well.

Comment

The unknown light roots are crazy good on all cuttings amazing

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the updates, everyone! My own UNK Silver Spring Bronze cutting is doing really well--I brought it to the office and we have some magical combination of heat and light in our staff kitchen. Got visible roots in 5 weeks, now have a healthy 3-leafed plant in the windowsill at less than 8 weeks.
            Wishlist: leaning toward the French varieties, here's what I'm rooting/growing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I am a new member and was wondering if you had cuttings this year? They all sounds amazing. As far as I can tell, the only french variety I have is pied de boeuf.
              Last edited by Bulldog; 05-07-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Sarina the white Marseilles that I got from you a while back doing loverly. Would like to try the unknowns. Of course I pay for both postage and materials. Thanks Joyce

Comment

Sarina, I missed this post last November. Thanks for making these varieties available. The Woodbridge UNK looks very much like a Mt. Etna type - have you compared it to any Mt. Etna's you are growing? The Silver Spring UNK looks intriguing. By the way, Silver Spring is definitely in zone 7a - I live about 30 minutes west, and a bit north of Silver Spring, where it is a bit cooler and am in zone 7a. Nevertheless it is impressive that the mother tree went through the two polar vortex winters and apparently didn't lose much of its size. The fruit looks a bit like Brunswick but the leaves are something else altogether. Maybe we could meet up later in the summer and I could taste this one?
                  Steve
                  @@@@erson, MD; zone 7a

Comment

Hi guys--sorry I've been MIA--work is crazy right now. I can take cuttings of all 3 again later this year for anyone who is interested. I'll put a post out in the fall. Steve, I'd be happy to meet up for a tasting--I'll PM you when they're ready to go!

Comment

• Rewton
                      Rewton commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks - that would be great

Any updates on how these unknown figs are doing for those growing them? I'm particularly interested in hearing about the UNK Silver Spring Bronze. If you get fruit this year please post - thanks.
                    Steve
                    @@@@erson, MD; zone 7a

Comment

I just got my first fig off of UNK Silver Spring Bronze. It was rather large - over 60 g and looked pretty much as Sarina showed in the photo. Mine was a bit underripe. I can't let figs fully ripen in this wet, humid weather or the bugs decimate them. But with that I think this fig definitely has promise. Has anyone else gotten fruit?
                      Steve
                      @@@@erson, MD; zone 7a

Comment

• Ortegojeffrey
                        Ortegojeffrey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the update. I had liked the looks of that Unk silver spring bronze fruit as well.
                    Working...
                    X