X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Yvonne

I'm trying to complete my collection of Condit hybrids and the one I have been unable to locate so far is Yvonne. Does anyone have this? I have a wide variety of fruit tree scion, as well as pomegranates and figs to offer for trade.

As far as figs go, I have cuttings of Peter's Honey, VdB, Uncle Corky's Honey Delight, Adriatic JH, Conadria, and Monrovia Texas Everbearing (Really good! Probably an EBT of some sort). I also have small plants of Sucrette and CdDBN.

Thanks!

Yvonne, eh? How much room do you have, Nate?
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

I've got about 3.5 acres, but most of it is wooded and I'm not planning any deforestation. I have room for about 50-60 in-ground trees so the goal right now is to trial a bunch and see what does best for me!

So I'm guessing you don't have Yvonne?

Comment

• ross
        ross commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't, Nate. I'm not sure of anyone that does either. You'll have a hard ass time finding this one. You may want to consider others, haha. I'm sure there's much better figs out there!

At least in my case I'll add interesting varieties to my wishlist, but until they prove worthy/have good evidence supporting that I won't pursue them. Is there even a picture of Yvonne available?
        Last edited by ross; 11-30-2016, 02:04 PM.

• npolaske
        npolaske commented
        Editing a comment
        Ross I am certain you are correct about there being better figs out there! However, I want to see for myself why Condit selected the figs he did as releases from his breeding program. I REALLY like Conadria, which surprised me because so many people describe it as watery and bland. So maybe I will like some of his others even more!

Yvonne is especially interesting to me because there is so little info online about it. A single sentence is all I could find:

http://www.raysfigs.com/newyank.html

Nate, What does the Condit list you're referring to looks like?
      Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

• Sas
        Sas commented
        Editing a comment
        So your list consists of "24 new varieties "not included" in Condit's Fig Varieties". The reason I asked was that I never saw an actual list of his work, which must've been extensive.

• Sas
        Sas commented
        Editing a comment
        By the way the Deanna should do very well in hot zones.

• npolaske
        npolaske commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear Deanna should be good!

There are MANY more figs from US breeding programs not included on this list, most of which are from the LSU program. I'm also interested in trying many of those, but I'm more interested in Condit's figs because he bred them for a hot, dry climate like mine.

I have not seen a formal summary by Condit himself on the varieties he considered worthy of naming. There could definitely be more.
    Working...
    X