X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rickyv101
    commented on 's reply
    I do not know every much about this varieties, I saw it somewhere people call it improved LDA, it should be good varieties, Most important, I find that UK nursery sell them, not sure how hard for you to get fig tree from UK.
    It is a huge fig varieties, If you like huge fig, here you are. In our area, we has similar fig varieties, it is called Nordland.

• Rickyv101
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for your advance, I never buy anything from Greenfin, He has lots of high end cuttings in his stocks now and It is his last chance to fix his problem, we will know at Nov.1, I hope that he doesn't screw up again.

• Billboard
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't but you can do a search on this forum for it.

• zielin
    replied
    Hi Ricky and Courtney,

You are right, I will first train at the cuttings before beginning to buy more valuable varieties.

After some research, I saw that a variety called "Perretta", developed in Switzerland, was created to resist the cold while fruiting.

One of you has ever heard of it?

Leave a comment:

• Courtney
    replied
    Yep, I agreed with a lot of comments here. Learn how to root cuttings first, and then move on to the rare kinds. I killed 25 varieties last year alone...I'm starting over this year. Fortunately, I have met some very nice and generous members on here to help encourage me in this hobby. Get to know members though. They are for the most part, very giving and very generous. I never asked for the rare kinds but am very thankful for whatever given to me....I can't be picky when I'm clueless.

Leave a comment:

• DBJohnson
    commented on 's reply
    I would recommend avoiding Figcuttngs.com--to the point that doing without figs for the next decade would be preferable. The bad reputation is well-deserved and has been discussed at the other fig forum ad nauseum and here enough to make people twitchy. The most recent thread here gives a look at the situation:

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...and-a-bit-poed

*Moderator hat on*: To everyone, this thread is not to be used to rehash the James/Greenfin/Figcuttings issue. Move along.

• Rickyv101
    replied
    I think that Figcutting.com is selling cuttings now similar to HarveyC. It had/s a bad record before.
    http://www.figcuttings.com/p/blog-page.html
    However, It is not cheap, you should really trial your rooting skill before ordering.

Leave a comment:

• zielin
    replied
    Hi Rickyv101,

Thank you for your advice, I will learn about the Col de Dam series.

I contacted HarveyC, the contact was very pleasant, unfortunately the sending of plant products between the USA and Europe is complicated, including interceptions of sending if there are no certificates. I will try to find cuttings in France.

You are right I put the bar too high, I have not yet experienced cuttings, I have only seen videos of passionate people, especially that of HarveyC on the cuttings precisely.

Leave a comment:

• Rickyv101
    replied
    Dear Friend, your area has many good fig varieties as well, Like Col De Dam series.

If you has no luck getting those cuttings, you may consider buying it from HarveyC and Keep close eye at Jan/2018, Those cuttings are very hot and they will be gone quickly. (Act fast)
    http://www.figaholics.com/cuttings.htm

Do you have very good rooting skill?, If not, you should start with much Cheaper option, cheaper/free cuttings, I spend $200 to buy cuttings without good rooting skill, I killed all of them.

I got some Col De Dam Noir, Gris, Brun, from Canadian source, Noir = end up with huge size green fig, Gris = med size of green fig, Brun = not edible figs, possible All wrong varieties, It wasted me time.
    Anyway, Good luck in Fig tree world.

Leave a comment:

• DBJohnson
    commented on 's reply
    Please consider staying to ask questions, learn, share experiences, and become part of this community. You are more than welcome.

• zielin
    replied
    First of all thank you DBJonhson for your very reflected and detailed answer .

I think you're right about the cultural differences, I did not think I would get so much reaction with my request for cuttings.

After some research I saw that these varieties were very appreciated, but I just realized the rarity and the value of these varieties.

As a result, I am going to orient myself towards a French variety, I have already done research, but living in a relatively cold and humid region is not so simple to find a fig tree that produces tasty and sweet figs.

I will not bother you any longer...

Leave a comment:

• DBJohnson
    replied
    Zielin,

Welcome to OurFigs. You will find a lot of helpful people here with much experience and a willingness to share information. We look forward to your participating in the community. That being said, please be aware that we are also wary of scammers and fakes who are out to make a buck or three off the unwary (quite a few sellers on eBay who are not 100% honest and upfront). The OurFigs community is a generous one, but asking for freebies with your first post comes across as a bit uncouth and suspicious. I am not judging you on it because this could be a cultural social difference, but the responses to your post are not likely to be positive based upon the current state of things. Feel free to private message me if you have questions.

There are sources for cuttings for those figs occasionally, but they are likely going to be expensive due the rarity and demand for the varieties. Good luck in your search.

Leave a comment:

• Billboard
    commented on 's reply
    He should be a comedian, huh.

• zielin
    replied
    Hi Brian M,

Indeed, after some exchanges on figs4fun, I knew that these varieties are the most prized, but I did not know that they were so rare and difficult to obtain.

I put the bar a little too high, considering the small size of my garden I wanted to have the best.

A mistake of beginner and ignorance of the extent of these varieties in the world ...

Leave a comment:

• Brian M
    replied
    1 post and your asking for the best figs in the world for free gtfo.

Leave a comment:

• zielin
    started a topic French amateur looking for fig cuttings.

French amateur looking for fig cuttings.

Hello everyone,

First I wanted to congratulate the whole community for all the work and information you share on the fig trees, it is a pleasure to read you!

The American community is very active !!!

I live in France and I just acquired a garden, in the stride I discovered the forum with all its varieties.

The praises on the variety "Italian 258", "Figo Preto" and "Genoverse Nero AF" intrigued me, unfortunately after several hours of research it is impossible for me to acquire this variety.

Being a big (and greedy) amateur of figs, I come to you to know if any of you would have the generosity to give me one or two real "Italian 258", "Figo Preto" or "Genoverse Nero AF" cuttings.

I know that I am new to the forum and that I live in France, which can complicate the sending, but of course I would pay the shipping costs.

Thank you and enjoy reading.

zielin
Working...
X