X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for LSU Tiger

Looking to source a couple of cuttings of LSU Tiger this cutting season,not necessarily wanted straight away but looking to line something up to root between now and Jan 2018.Most of my trees are young and haven't proven themselves yet so prefer purchase to trade until I know that what I have is true to type.

Something to bear in mind is that Im based in the UK

thanks in advance folks
    Haroon,Birmingham U.K,Zone 8ish
    W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

I think LSU Tiger and Panache are the same fig.

Comment

• CliffH
      CliffH commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. Not even close to being the same. LSU Tiger can turn quite dark brown when fully ripe, and taste like a giant more fruity tasting Celeste. It can have some mild purplish-red stripes at times. The Panache will stay green or turn yellow with ripening.

The confusion is that some commercial marketers call Panache a "tiger fig" because of the striping, But this is all marketing.

• wellingtonbill
      wellingtonbill commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope!

Wills has LSU Tiger and he sells his cuttings at a great price. That or he may be able to refer you to someone
    Last edited by Nic40; 10-10-2017, 09:10 AM. Reason: Didnt see the UK part
    WL: ALL GREEK FIG https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Comment

• haslamhulme
      haslamhulme commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries,yeah,international borders and all that, rarely as much of a problem to get things out of the US as it to get things in-which kinda makes sense

Originally posted by CliffH View Post
    Nope. Not even close to being the same. LSU Tiger can turn quite dark brown when fully ripe, and taste like a giant more fruity tasting Celeste. It can have some mild purplish-red stripes at times. The Panache will stay green or turn yellow with ripening.

The confusion is that some commercial marketers call Panache a "tiger fig" because of the striping, But this is all marketing.
    I have to agree with the above and the below quote as well:

Originally posted by mgginva View Post
    What's with calling Panachee "Tiger" all of a sudden? "Tiger" should refer to LSU Tiger that was released in 1957 with Champagne and O'Rourke. The fig powers that be decided Panachee was going to be the next fig they marketed to farmer's markets and stores out east, etc. and I guess Panachee was just not sexy enough. But as there already was a fig called Tiger it was a sleazy move as we have enough name mix ups as it is. PANACHEE IS NOT TIGER !!
    Thanks for letting me vent.mgg
    "Tiger" Panache is just a marketing name for Panache.Panache is easily abaliable here but is far too long season for me and needs more heat,I would need to put it in a greenhouse or Polytunnel.

LSU Tiger is meant to be good for short season and has been recommended to me by a few folks which is why I'm interested to get that one.Panache I may add later when I have a hoophouse/polytunnel.

theres some good info and pics here:

https://mountainfigs.net/varieties/varieties-a-l/tiger/

W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

Thanks for the clarity, and I can see how they are confused

Marketing has no soul, lol.

Between this and the "Improved Celeste" confusion, Dr. O'Rourke must be turning over in his grave!

Mike

Comment

• wellingtonbill
        wellingtonbill commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a large LSU Tiger and the figs are very good - not great. Wills may have a few small LSU Tiger figlets - he did sometime back. If you want some cuttings - cheap - like free and cover shipping I can send you some in late December.

• haslamhulme
        haslamhulme commented
        Editing a comment
        Someone once told me that the difference between the matters of the soul and business is not that one has marketing and the other does not,its that one has profits,the other has prophets

Now my Panache a friend 😰!!

Never ends!

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtonbill View Post
        I have a large LSU Tiger and the figs are very good - not great. Wills may have a few small LSU Tiger figlets - he did sometime back. If you want some cuttings - cheap - like free and cover shipping I can send you some in late December.
        Hi Bill, I presume that was meant for Mike as he's also in the US,if not please PM me

Comment

Working...
        X