X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Violet

Looking for Early Violet, anyone growing it?

I got one worthless here,made 6 foot growth some years ago did not fruit, since then gets killed to ground EVERY year and makes maybe a foot growth which then gets frozen over and over.

Comment

So strange, 8a should be warm enough for main trunk to survive with minimum care. Early Violet must be one odd fig. It would be good to hear from others that grow it.

Comment

I think Hermansur has cuttings on eBay

Comment

Could be Tacoma violet though

Comment

Dennis/Snaglepuss has Early Violet...at least he did on past Fig4Fun threads. He is a member.

Comment

Takoma Violet roots easily and is a Mt. Etna. I rooted this winter 4 of 5 cuttings of Takoma Violet. Early Violet would be a stretch. Got my curiosity up.

Comment

Early Violet is one of those figs that has very little info. The large majority of the few photos I've seen and that are clear and ripe comes from wasp land. From those photos it looks a lot like a hardy chicago type, but recently I've seen new photos of it with an amber interior. I'm thinking that the wasp may be turning the interior red. Maybe the amber fig was just underripe. In any case.. I've decided to trial it myself because of a lack of info.
                Ross - Zone 7A - Philadelphia
                My Figs! / Facebook / YouTube

Comment

Thanks for the responses, info, and interest. There isn't a lot of info on Early Violet. It supposedly was common in the south a hundred years ago. Many good reports from trials in Louisiana at the turn of the century, which is why I'm looking for it. But it is strange that it is hard to find now, even in the south where it was heavily trialed, with it being so common and successful in the past. Anyway my search will continue.

Comment

I got word from a friend that grew it. Saying that it's similar to HC, but 3 weeks earlier. Only time will tell. My graft took. Won't be long now.
                    Ross - Zone 7A - Philadelphia
                    My Figs! / Facebook / YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Ortegojeffrey View Post
                      Thanks for the responses, info, and interest. There isn't a lot of info on Early Violet. It supposedly was common in the south a hundred years ago. Many good reports from trials in Louisiana at the turn of the century, which is why I'm looking for it. But it is strange that it is hard to find now, even in the south where it was heavily trialed, with it being so common and successful in the past. Anyway my search will continue.
                      In the world of heirloom tomatoes, it's generally accepted that when an old-time popular variety disappears, there's usually a reason.

I know now nothing about Early Violet, but based on your info it's possible that once (possibly better?) figs became more widely available, it fell out of favor and people abandoned it.
                      “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
                      – Chinese Proverb

Comment

• Ortegojeffrey
                        Ortegojeffrey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I also share the belief in preserving the older and more meaningful varieties of fruit trees. Many trees I grow just because I respect the nurseryman who found it to be meaningful.

• ginamcd
                        ginamcd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree with both of you on growing the old varieties to keep them "alive," but I go into it with a historic preservation mindset. Sometimes I'll be pleasantly surprised by something that produces an exceptionally tasty tomato, but often times it's just passable which is likely why the variety fell out of favor. Doesn't necessarily mean I'll stop growing it.

• Ortegojeffrey
                        Ortegojeffrey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree Gina. It probably wasn't too great.

Found this on Facebook:

Amazing cultivar EARLY VIOLET. Producing big size of fruits,with dark red to black colour skin and white to honey colour texture, when its rippening the fruits produce honey drop.The texture is soft,juicy and amazingly sweet !!

Image may contain: food
                      No automatic alt text available.

Comment

• Ortegojeffrey
                        Ortegojeffrey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I saw that one, def different from almost all the characteristics ever described as Early Violet.

Why is it that just when I think I have all the figs I need, I see another one I want.

Comment

• CliffH
                        CliffH commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Haven't you heard? Fig addiction is a nationally recognized disease....... At least by members of this forum..... maybe that makes it internationally recognized.....

• Foodforest
                        Foodforest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey Cliff, Thanks again for the goodies. I guess I have it bad, I see more I want. The VDB, and BMKK are super interesting.

• CliffH
                        CliffH commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There you have it! You're fully infected with disease now. It only gets worse......

@Ortegojeffrey maybe what @ginamcd said initially about better figs coming along is the case with this one.

This fig was grown in England and at one time was part of the Chiswick Collection but from what Condit reports on this variety it’s performance in California might have been its downfall,very very small only fair quality maincrop figs,few if any brebas,drops figs,bad case of FMV,large eye,susceptible to spoilage...not exactly a glowing report.

Starnes & Monroe weren’t nearly as damning but still reported it as small and sours easily.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...38;skin=mobile

However if we go by Hogg(quoted in Condit) although small it sounds like a productive,tasty early variety. The discription by Thompson (quoting Rivers) in Hilgardia would have us believe it is good for pots,forcing,and is a 3 crop fig.

im sensing climate would have a lot to do with the very different reports. Rivers,Hogg and Thompson are talking about a pot grown fig grown in a cool climate and if ‘forced’ and grown as figs were at the time in England it would have been started early on the season with artificial heat in a greenhouse with controlled and regular pot watering,temperatures,humidity and fertilisation.

The US writers are talking about in ground figs therefore exposed to rain, variable water and nutrition from the soil, uncontrolled temperatures and humidity from being outside.

If you do manage to get one of these it does sounds like a variety that needs/is suited to careful management.
                      Haroon,Birmingham U.K,Zone 8ish
                      W/L: LSU Tiger, I258, Horai, Granthams Royal, Lampeira Preta, Gayet,De Tres Esplets, Campaniere, Valliery,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

• Ortegojeffrey
                        Ortegojeffrey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Shoot, Brunswick may split and sour more than any other fig yet an entire commercial fig industry was built upon Brunswick/magnolia.

Ortegojeffrey I’m with you on that.Its pretty clear that the trials at Nikes,Chico and elsewhere were aimed at identifying figs with commercial potential for California,many of the Chiswick figs including early Violet weren’t originally selected for those conditions or reasons,it may not have good commercial value but for hobbyists it may be a good fig,let me know if you find one,it would be interesting to know that that little piece of fig history is still with us
                      W/L: LSU Tiger, I258, Horai, Granthams Royal, Lampeira Preta, Gayet,De Tres Esplets, Campaniere, Valliery,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

It is good to be back on the forum. Have been busy with family lately.

Comment

Ortegojeffrey i might have found a source for this fig,it’s in Europe but I plan on ordering a few varieties from this nursery this year so might add this one as well: https://figuesdumonde.wordpress.com/.../early-violet/

Comment

Found this which fits the bill a bit better and is in the States
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for this update

Comment

I can only speak about my results growing EV in Charlotte, NC. It's not a fast grower but will produce. Figs turn a nice dark purple color. Ripens earlier than Hardy Chicago and a little smaler. Not as productive as HC though and no where close to it's hardiness.

Mine kept dying back every year with only very little cold weather. I use to have a couple of trees but I'm behind checking in on my trees and just haven't made it to the back of the decks yet to see who survived the winter. Tacoma Violet is a much better fig to grow.
                                Dennis
                                Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

• grant441
                                  grant441 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I agree Dennis. Tacoma Violet has performed well in ground for me in 7b climate.

• Ortegojeffrey
                                  Ortegojeffrey commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thank you Dennis and Grant!
                              Working...
                              X