X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Container size

If you had to choose between 5 gallon buckets or 7 gallon nursery pots, when uppotting...which size?

Go to the largest you can fit in your yard. If it’s a well rooted one gallon you can go straight into a 15g. CJ in Michigan does this with great results

Comment

I would go to 7 gallon pot instead of bucket because bucket will not last for long time may be two years due to sun.
      Naeem
      Maryland Ellicott City Zone 7A

Comment

If you do not need many, I would try SIPs. Even a few, to compare with the regular nursery pots. You may like them.
        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Calderona, Colonel Littman's BC, Craven’s Craving, Exquisito

Comment

• mgreco04
          mgreco04 commented
          Editing a comment
          What are SIP’s?

• greenfig
          greenfig commented
          Editing a comment
          Self irrigated planter / self watering planter

I like to go from a 1 gallon to a 7 gallon

Comment

Now I'm stuck deciding between going ahead and putting them in 7 gallon or 10 gallon pots. I think either one will be my max size because I have around 100 to uppot and winter storage space will be minimal.

Comment

This is a good question. I agree with what was wrote above, other than space required and potting material needed, going from 1 gal directly to a 15 gal would certainly work. I have been using 3x3x7 tree pots for starting cuttings. I have been using 5 gal deeps when up potting. The size of the tree pots require the 5 gal deeps in order for them to comfortably fit as a minimum. I will keep them in the 5 deeps for probably 3 years unless some have a tremendous growth rate. When ready, I lean towards a 10 gal all though if the fig variety is going to become one of my special keepers, then I go to the 15. Right now that is my max.

Just for kicks and curiosity, I started several fig tees from seeds in 3x3x4 seed pots. To my amazement, the success rate was outstanding. So once they reached about 4". I transferred them to 1 gal pots. I will keep them in those pots until the warm weather returns next year. Up potting to 5 gal pots will be the plan. I have no plan from that point as I want to find out the value or worth of what they will provide. If they do not pan out as viable producers, as many have stated they won't, I will use them as root stock and stock to practice various grafting techniques and to clone quality figs from other sources.

Generally 5 gal pots are as large as I will go unless I plan to keep them for myself. Those that I know I will keep will go into 10 gal Gro Pro type pots and those that I plan to have as my center pieces will be in 15 gal Gro Pros. I've considered the fabric bags but I just like the Gro Pro type pots. Personal choice.
            Ron Bressler
            Lebanon, Pa
            Zone 6b

Comment

Working...
            X